Is there an app to play raw avchd consecutively? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old November 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Is there an app to play raw avchd consecutively?

We would love to provide SDEs at weddings. We're just too busy. If I had an app on my laptop (or even better on my camera) that plays the raw avchd files consecutively? I'm thinking that I could copy the files from the card to the laptop and put the best ones back onto the card. Would that work? Does the Playstation do that?
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Dana

Panasonic tell you not to copy stuff to the card the normal way as the thumbnails get corrupted BUT you can use HD Writer to do the job I believe???

I'm assuming your HMC170's have an HDMI output..they surely must have as my HMC72's have one and the software that came with the camera does have a writeback feature. However one assumes you will write to a fresh card not your precious raw footage????

Should look awesome at the reception!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #3
Trustee

The free "VLC Media Player" will play AVCHD consecutively.
Open the player, go "media>open folder" browse for the folder with the avchd files & hit play. It displays the filename on start of each clip, so you could transfer the contents of your card to the laptop, preview, identify & delete unwanted files & then VLC will play the remaining (desired) files consecutively. Meanwhile, you haven't tampered with your source card at all.
A simple way to do this.
Old November 20th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #4
Major Player

Wow! Cool things from Australia and Hawaii!

@Chris,
I don't remember getting any software with my HMC150, but I do have HDMI, and even if I had to edit on a laptop, I would rather do the presentation from my camera to avoid any popups or hard drive dizziness!

@Robert,
I just found that VLC is also available for Mac. I will try that. Are you saying that it will put up the filename at the beginning of each clip? That would kill any presentation unless I could eliminate that text.

Thanks guys!
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Trustee

It does display the filename for a second or two @ the beginning of each clip.
May be a way to kill that, but I've never looked for it.
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Dana

I never found a way to kill the file name on VLC player but it does a good job playing raw files!!!

Did you look at the free software Panasonic have on their website???? They should have something there.

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...e/download.htm

Your other option is to use a standalone media player..they are pretty cheap now (under $200 here) and have a built-in HDD plus will play from card or USB and have HDMI output too. That way you could do a quick edit and copy the footage directly to the player and leave it running at the reception which would also leave your laptop and camera free for use!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:35 AM   #7
Major Player

MTSMerger might be the ticket, but I could never get it to work. It's designed to merge the M2t files to ease editing (kind of like what you can do in Log and Capture). If I could take the choice clips off many cards and stick them in order on an MTSMerger, then I could take the one large M2t file and stick it on a cam-formatted card and play it through my HDMI port on my HMC150.

I suppose I could also use MPEG Streamclip to edit the m2t files in order to cut the rough ends off the clips...

So I'm at a wedding and have 30 minutes to put together a show. I pop my sdhc cards in the multi-reader, and launch fcp, Log and Transfer to preview the clips. Noting the ones I want and the time total, I open MPEG Streamclip to cut the clips, saving them to a new folder. I put them in order and take those clips into MTSMerger to merge into one m2t file, saved to a formatted sdhc card that I haven't written to. My keeping track of time codes I match it with a loosely syncopated song of the same length. I have the DJ start the song at the same time as I play the M2t file on the camera.
Old November 24th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #8
New Boot

The PS3 does a WONDERFUL job at playing AVCHD/mts files.
Angelo Alberico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Windows Media Player 12 plays AVCHD mts files natively on Windows 7 PC.
I point to AVCHD->BDMV->STREAM folder and play with Windows Media player. They play without an issue.
Bhanu Neti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Trustee

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009...vable-bundles/
The PS3 is perfect for that and if you must have a program than download this at the bottom.
Splash - Next Generation Player
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #11
Major Player

@ Bhanu
Does it play clips back to back seamlessly and w/o titles?

Thanks!
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #12
Trustee

What's wrong with Splash? It seams like what your looking for.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
@ Bhanu
Does it play clips back to back seamlessly and w/o titles?

Thanks!
Dana,
The titles(filenames) are not shown in full screen view mode in media player.
I select all the clips in the stream folder and right click and select add to the Windows Media Player list. They play one after the other with a black transition.

Thanks
Bhanu
Bhanu Neti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #14
Major Player

Hmm... Well I guess it's an option, but with the black separators it would be hard to sync with music and make it look natural. It sounds like I'd need a timeline to do it right, but if things go wrong this would be a good Plan B, provided that I could fade in and out as more of a video slide show.

I'm going to test the time it takes to bring the clips into the timeline and render a completed video to see how much time it really eats up. If I got it transferring before the Grand Entrance, then I could film that, edit, eat & Edit simultaneously and hopefully have it ready to render before the first batch of events. Once rendered, I'd just plug it in for the show.
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #15
New Boot

I'm late to this thread, but I'll add another recommendation for Splash:
Splash - Next Generation Player

It will play clips consecutively and provides excellent visual quality (better than VLC in my experience).
Bob Kittleson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion