AVCHD Editors - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old August 25th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: AVCHD Editors

I tried the free download for Power Director 9 and was unable to import any AVCHD files, whether from my computer (PMB) or directly from my SR11. Nor could I produce any product in AVCHD. Is this because I had the free trial version?
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #17
New Boot

i use avid studio seems to work fine
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #18
Regular Crew

PowerDirector 9 works very well with AVCHD clips. That includes the trial version which is simply a time limited application, 30 days I believe. It is also fast if you have a compatible GPU card from Nvidia or ATI.
Allen Vodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:16 AM   #19
Major Player

If that be the case for PD9 trial, how do you capture/download the AVCHD files? I have tried capturing files directly from my SR11 to no avail. The program recognizes the camcorder, but will not capture any files from it. Likewise, I have tried dragging AVCHD files from PMB to PD9, and again no success. The only way I could use my AVCHD files from anywhere on my computer was to change the file to Mpeg2, and then PD9 would accept it.
What am I doing wrong?

Mike
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burgess View Post
If that be the case for PD9 trial, how do you capture/download the AVCHD files? I have tried capturing files directly from my SR11 to no avail. The program recognizes the camcorder, but will not capture any files from it. Likewise, I have tried dragging AVCHD files from PMB to PD9, and again no success. The only way I could use my AVCHD files from anywhere on my computer was to change the file to Mpeg2, and then PD9 would accept it.
What am I doing wrong?

Mike
Cant you just dump the AVCHD files in to a file in your computer, then bring them in to PD9 from there?
Works for me!
Jack Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:17 AM   #21
Major Player

No Jack, I couldn't do that. Don't know why, unless it was just because it was a trial version.

I really want to like PD9, but I have heard from others that the final video product when outputting to AVCHD on DVD, is not that good. I recently had the free trial, and I produced a regular DVD from AVCHD video files, and the results were pretty good. I never got the chance to see what it would look like producing an AVCHD DVD, and that is what I am really interested in. So far, Nero produces the best AVCHD DVD video that I have seen, but Nero is too limited for what I want to do. Pinnacle does alright, but I have used it for several years and am looking for something better (especially in the music library department), but not having to pay big bucks for.

So, how good or bad is PD9 when producing AVCHD DVDs?
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:35 AM   #22
Trustee

For "music library" SmartSound is hard to beat, and can be used with just about any NLE you can drop a WAV file onto a music or sound effects track. I purchased a $29.95 plug in for Pinnacle Studio 15 and that allows working on the music from the NLE.

The "ScoreFitter" music that Pinnacle supplies with Studio is not really good, sounds thin and lacks richness and dimension. The plug in comes with a free download of SmartSound's Sonic Fire "Express Tracks" edition which really works well. A couple years ago I got their "Scoring Edition" free with a two album purchase and that comes in handy when I "score" something being edited in another NLE that doesn't have a provision for SmartSound. The "Scoring Edition" has a timeline for the music and a small video window you can play a smaller resolution version of the video segment being worked on.

It's pretty slick, when done, export as a WAV then bring that into your NLE and drop it on the music track.

A couple of folks have mentioned Edius. I'm slowly learning Edius Neo 3, I don't know how many tracks you can use (I've only worked with 3 video tracks so far), and while I have a bit of a "learning curve" with Edius I am very impressed with the quality of what it does. It will easily handle the OP's AVCHD as well or better than anything else.

I'm running Avid's Pinnacle Studio 15 Ultimate Collection and Edius Neo 3 on a new HP H8xt with 2nd generation Core i7 2600 processor, 8GB RAM, and Nvidia 530 2GB graphics card. Both AVCHD (17Mbps) and Canon DSLR MOV (25Mbps if I remember correct) literally fly on the timeline with both NLE's.

The computer makes a difference.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 12:55 PM   #23
Major Player

Good information. Thanks Bruce. I will take a look at SmartSound. I will also see if Neo has a trial version to try. Know very little to nothing about Neo.

Mike
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #24
Major Player

Just got an e-mail announcement that Nero 11 is available. Wonder how much that has changed, if much at all.
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion