Edited footage from AVCHD, how much interest? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old October 27th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #1
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Editing footage from AVCHD, how much interest?

We been getting a few inquiries about support AVCHD *.m2ts files within Connect HD and Aspect HD, I just wondering if these inquires are the tip of an iceberg. We have determined AVCHD support will be a minor to moderate upgrade to our existing HDLink application. I have already sucessfully converted the video picture to CineForm AVIs with very little effort, most of the work will be related to audio support.

Can I please have a show of hands to the level of interest.

And if you are interested, which particular features of Connect HD or Aspect HD would you like added for AVCHD support?

Your thoughts welcome on this issue. AVCHD adds a bit a wrinkle to licensing model. The currently higher-end HDV format is limited to 1440x1080, so our licensing matches, yet this new lower end consumer format can output 1920x1080. We could offer AVCHD support as standard under the 1440x1080 license (at no additional costs -- other maybe an AVC decoder license $10 like CoreAVC if a free one isn't sufficient) video would be scaled as needed (note: you won't see a quality difference) or would users be willing to pay a premium for 1920x1080 versions of Connect HD and Aspect HD (some overlap into the higher-end Prospect HD space?)

Thanks,
Old October 29th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Any new developments on this? Thanks.
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is a question for you and others as to when we release and in what form.
Old October 29th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #4
New Boot

I've been working on a project with the Sony hd-sr1 for a few weeks now and I desperately need to be able to work with these files. I currently edit with vegas. If enough interest was show, how long would it take to implement? Thank you

Luke
Luke Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Luke,

It would take a couple of weeks of engineering to do the work that enables conversion of AVCHD to 1440x1080 or 1280x720 for fast post as CineForm AVIs. So yes will do it at some point, but how soon is the question given the number of other projects we have.
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #6
New Boot

David,

I'm extremely interested in the idea of shooting in high def with an SD card camcorder so I'm waiting on pins and needles for the Panasonic offering.

I use Vegas and really want to get away from realtime tape ingestion. If this camera pans out quality wise, then I need an editing solution. Basically, if this cam can come sort of close to HDV, I'll most likely buy one if, and only if, I can edit the footage.

Edit: Sorry, wasn't specific about features. I just upgraded to Vegas 7 (from 4.0) and I haven't done any kind of HD editing yet. I do believe that your Vegas product for HDV is in the $200 range. The cost for the Premier version was a little rich for my blood.
Randall E. Drapeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 02:36 PM   #7
Major Player

**raises hand**

I have been trying to decide which cam to buy for my b-cam.

I ve very interested in the Sony 30gig Hd cam. The only thing thats kept me from a purchase is lack of editing capability. I already own Connect HD, so yes, an update to include this would be greatly appreciated!!

-burk
Jason Burkhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 03:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Me too. The only thing that's holding me back from purchasing one these camcorders is the ability to edit within Vegas 7.
I'd pay more for the 1920 x 1080 option. ($50 easily, $100 maybe...)
Dan Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 03:45 PM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Thank you Dan and Jason,

Good feedback.
Old November 1st, 2006, 07:56 PM   #10
New Boot

David Newman,

I speak to more and more people everyday who are looking for an editing solutions for these files. I’m very pleased to see someone step up to the plate and be the first to make this stuff workable. I called cineform today and spoke with mary. She was very nice and informative with the questions I had regarding what your soft wear can do for me. When you get this to work, you most definitely have a new customer.

Luke Burgess
Luke Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:03 AM   #11
Regular Crew

David,
For me the situation is clear :

IF aspect HD supports AVCHD, i'll buy one (fro christmas ) to "tape" (sic) sports events, etc...

OTHERWISE, i'll let it sleep on the shelves.

SO, SANYO should fund this development !!!
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:21 PM   #12

David,
I should chime in here; comments from *several* fora on the web, emails we receive at VASST, etc offer strong interest. If you can find a good means of accessing the consumer channel, ie; Vegas Movie Studio crowd, you'll have a great success with AVC HD in the CineForm toolset, IMO.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 02:31 PM   #13
Regular Crew

AVCHD via Small Sony Cams

I think there would be lots of interest from the videographer community in the use of Sony's small HDDVD and Hard Drive cams based on AVCHD. I saw the hard drive model in Circuit City and I was just about to take the plunge and buy it. It overcame many of the limitations of the C3 because it had a means to attach an accessory show PLUS and external mike input jack AND a headphone jack. There is a need for cams like this to get POV footage at social events and service as a backup.

What stopped me dead in my tracks was the inability to deal with the material in editing. While I can see the use of a Cineform or Connect HD codec for serious users, there should also be something bundled with the camera that enables both consumer and pro users to archive and edit the footage.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
...or would users be willing to pay a premium for 1920x1080 versions of Connect HD and Aspect HD (some overlap into the higher-end Prospect HD space?)

Thanks,
Definitely yes on the 1920x1080...if:
...you don't go ballistic on the pricing for it
...you include the 5.1 audio

and when you stated "some overlap into the PHD space...", are you considering offering 8 bit and 10 bit versions too?
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #15
Regular Crew

David

Thanks for asking the troops.

You've received many knowledgeable responses here.

I'd also strongly consider an AVCHD cam if there was a good editor for it. I'm currently using Premiere Pro 2.

Regards
JohnG
John Godden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion