DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Panasonic Announces HDC-SD1 AVCHD Camcorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/79187-panasonic-announces-hdc-sd1-avchd-camcorder.html)

Aaron Tinling March 8th, 2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Gilmour (Post 632424)
Congrats on the cam Aaron. What's your opinion on it after one week? How do you connect it through HDMI? What's your HDTV?

Well, I'm very pleased with the SD1. Even though it's missing a couple things like a viewfinder and a headphone jack, it has surprisingly rich features and a very pleasing image. I have an older Toshiba HDTV, and the component output from the camcorder looks quite beautiful...better than what I've been able to see with computer playback so far.

I've successfully converted the .mt2s files to HDV format and imported them into Vegas. It's my first foray into hidef editing in Vegas, and I'm impressed by how good the performance is. Yay Vegas!

I've also attached a Rode Videomic with a bracket, and it works just great, though the mic looks bigger than the camera.

I've been working on a full writeup on the SD1 on Navagear: http://www.navagear.com/2007/03/pana...review-part-1/

If you leave me comments on the posting, I'll try to address them in the next segment of the review.

Steve Nunez March 8th, 2007 06:30 PM

Aaron- how are you generating M2t files?

Derrick Whitlock March 10th, 2007 12:45 PM

Steve, I am also interested in his reply on how he is generating his m2t files.

I have had my SD1 for about a week and I did a little looking around for a good program for transcoding the files. I found three possible solutions.

1. Nero Vision 4 [demo]. Not really what I was looking for since I don't think there is a way to batch process my files. But it handles the highest resolution.

2. Elecard Converter Studio Pro [demo]: Could have been the best solution, but... The regular version was about $250 or so and they don't advertise the price of the Pro version and you will need the Pro version for the high res and batch processing, so I passed on this option for right now. But I liked the setup and the implementation. It Also handled the highest resolution. I may come ack to this in the future.

3. Adobe Premier Element 3.0 & Main Concept's plugin. Only two negatives here for me. With no batch processing and only having the ability to handle 1440X1080i [it may handle higher res than this, however, I can't seem to find the option] this is not a long-term solution for me. But the positives far outweigh the negatives so far. Implementation is seamless in APE 3.0. Cost of the two together was about $150-160. Quick preview is nice before I convert. Since I would like to shoot most of what I do right now in the 1440x1080i, the limitation on res is not a factor.

Now I found a bunch of other apps that might get the job done in the near future but they didn't seem to work for me right now. The one that I want to keep an eye on is called "Super". Oh, and its free.

Derek Weiss March 10th, 2007 01:29 PM

Will eRightsoft Super software recognize AVCHD?

Guy Bruner March 10th, 2007 02:33 PM

Try MPEG Streamclip. SUPER doesn't yet support AVCHD.

Derrick Whitlock March 10th, 2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Bruner (Post 639445)
Try MPEG Streamclip. SUPER doesn't yet support AVCHD.

Thanks Guy. I had tried this one as well and I couldn't get it to work. I get the error that it can't find the first frame in the video. Have you had success with SD1 clips in this app?

Derek Weiss March 10th, 2007 11:24 PM

Does this little cam have the ability to do variable frame rates other than standard?

Guy Bruner March 11th, 2007 06:34 AM

Quote:

Have you had success with SD1 clips in this app?
I haven't used MPEG Steamclip except for reading the stream metadata. It requires buying the MPEG2 plugin for Quicktime and I already have other software for that. Others have reported that MPEG Streamclip will work on AVCHD. You might have to change the MTS extension to MPG. I use NERO mostly when working with AVCHD. But, it doesn't have batch features as you noted.

Quote:

Does this little cam have the ability to do variable frame rates other than standard?
The SD1 only records in 50i/60i.

Yow Siang March 21st, 2007 06:18 AM

Mounting External mic/light on sd1?

Hi Aaron,
I am unable to see any hotshoe on the camera, would there be a problem if i want to mount an external mike or lighting? how did you do it?

ys

Chris Wren April 1st, 2007 07:28 AM

There is no hotshoe on the camera so I mounted a adapter on the bottom of the camera to hold my video-light or microphone.

Yow Siang April 1st, 2007 09:54 PM

Like to ask what do you use to edit the video? as i know not many software support it right now?

Guy Bruner April 2nd, 2007 05:24 AM

Nero Vision can edit it or convert it to another format that is compatible with more prevalent editing software. Also, Elecard Converter Studio can convert it.

Derek Weiss April 2nd, 2007 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yow Siang (Post 652547)
Like to ask what do you use to edit the video? as i know not many software support it right now?

I've been using Nero. It works, but it's clumsy. Batch capture and render is possible, but you're left with one long clip, which tends to choke a bit in Vegas 7d.

I'm hoping the NAB timeframe brings Vegas 7d into editing AVCHD.

Paulo Teixeira April 2nd, 2007 05:57 PM

The SD1 review is on Camcorderinfo

Michael Stimson April 8th, 2007 04:33 PM

Vista Users Help!!!!

I have a new computer with Vista and I also got the new Panasonic HDC-SD1. I had read that Nero 7 would allow me to view and edit my video, but I am unable to. I'm not real tech savvy so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.