Detailed Review of Panasonic HDC SD-1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old December 18th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #16
Trustee

The SD-1 has three 1/4” CCDs. The HD1a has only 1 CCD, 13MBPS compared to 9MBPS.

If the Sanyo had a CMOS chip and a much higher bit rate then the camcorder would have been close to the Panasonic’s, but as is, the HD1a doesn’t even come close to the quality of the SD-1 or DX-1.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 04:06 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Speaking only for myself, I would say that specs are interesting and informative, but the purpose of an HD camera is to produce video to be seen on an HDTV. Getting the AVCHD clips to play is a problem all by itself, but so far on my Sony 60 inch model, what I have been able to find and sort of play looks soft.

The Sanyo HD1 is obviously in a different class from cameras costing twice as much or more (and that are twice or many times as big), but the quality of its video, when shot in good light and seen on a good HDTV, is quite amazing. So far, I haven't seen AVCHD clips that are a lot better, and the Sanyo 5MP stills are actually better.

A good example of what it can do (not mine) can be seen at:
http://hd1a.com/2006/reichstag.MP4

If the Panasonic SD-1 proves to be a lot better, I will be the first in line to buy one (as you can tell from my parking on the Japanese web sites to find the first review). So far, I am underwhelmed, as I have been by the Sony versions that I have actually seen, and hooked up to an HDTV. The Canon HDV looks a little better, but I am too old to go back to tape.

I am hoping that Sanyo, or others, will have something interesting to show at CES. I'd be happiest with a Sanyo that had an f 1.9 lens, like the competition.
Peter Solmssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #18
Trustee

The SD-1 does come with a 4 gig memory card and the price is for the Japanese market, so the US model may actually be a bit cheaper.

Panasonic was trying to get good video first, and then put a still camera mode as an added bonus. Sanyo on the other hand tried to have good video and pictures at the same time which is why they added to many pixels on the CCD. With that size CCD, the HD1a would have worked marvelously in low light situations if it had fewer, larger pixels. It shouldn’t be higher than 2.5 to 3.0 mega pixel. 2.0 would have been very good.
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #19
Trustee

The 600 hundred dollar price for the Sanyo HD1a is a very good deal by the way, so I hope my posts don’t sound like the Sanyo HD1a isn’t worth having.
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:34 AM   #20
New Boot

I was hoping that we could see a camera on the market this year for $1,000 which would do great HD 720p , 60 fps under all conditions including low light. But from what I am reading even the Panasonic doesn't seem to be a very good deal. I still am considering buying the Sanyo because it's so cheap and I have seen some really great footage. But the Sanyo is very bad under low light conditions and the autofocus is dreadful. And the footage I've seen was only good when it was filmed with a very steady hand :).

I still own a Panasoniv AV 100 camera ( http://dylan.tweney.com/images/dsnap.jpg ) which is a great SD camera. I like the size of the camera and I can't wait until Panasonic, Canon or Sanyo come up with this size HD camera that shoots on SD. (No tapes for me, too unconveniant and no HDD , too much recording noise)
Cliff Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #21
Tourist

Currently it looks like the SD-1 offers lower resolution compared with the Canon HV10, Sony HC3 and even Sony's AVCHD cameras. I assume the low-res 3CCD+Pixel shift scheme is to be blamed. At the moment I don't think it can compete with non of the above cameras, especially with its high price tag. But I assume that in two years, AVCHD + Solid-state memory will be the way to go for the consumer market (Assuming that 16 GB SDHC will cost around 80-90$).
Etan Shirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 02:27 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Check out this review. Might sound to good to be true!

http://www.simplydv.co.uk/Reviews/pa...c_hdc-sd1.html
Daniel Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 04:08 AM   #23
New Boot

How can I play M2TS files on my MacBook?

Last edited by Cliff Gilmour; December 31st, 2006 at 06:04 AM.
Old December 31st, 2006, 04:15 AM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Moreno
Check out this review. Might sound to good to be true!

http://www.simplydv.co.uk/Reviews/pa...c_hdc-sd1.html
So it seems the best thing to buy on the market! Why was there so much doubt then? It might be twice as expensive as the Sanyo HD1a but this is the one we need to buy right now! I will check my creditcard :)
Old December 31st, 2006, 09:12 AM   #25
Major Player

Cliff,
I would wait if I were you. Right now, there is nothing for the Mac for playback or editing. Heck, even the PCs are having trouble playing the M2TS and MTS files although Elecard has a converter suite that will convert AVCHD into high bitrate MPEG2. Also, a comprehensive review has not been done on this cam yet. All we have so far are subjective comments and a few files from which it is hard to judge quality. Low light videos I've seen look promising but, again, it is hard to know just how good since we don't know the light level they were shot in.

BTW, I was able to read the metadata from the Watch Impress videos using the Elecard Converter Studio. Those files are raw AVCHD which should answer a question raised earlier in this thread. All the more reason to wait for comprehensive testing as the video quality of those files is not as good as I was expecting from AVCHD.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 12:20 PM   #26
Trustee

Because of the low pixel count ¼” CCDs, It’s really not surprising that this camcorder has much better low light qualities than the SR1 but I would have liked the reviewer to compare outdoor footage to indoor footage because the SR1 has a higher bit rate than the SD1. If the footage of this camcorder is better than the SR1 in outdoor shots as well then you can definitely consider this a better buy than the SR1.

I’m a little confused about how are you able to focus with this because the reviewer says it has manual focusing but I hope its not as inconvenient as the HC3.

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; January 1st, 2007 at 01:22 PM. Reason: copy/pasted text from another website
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:10 PM   #27
New Boot

I saw someone selling this camera on ebay and they include this:

http://panasonic.jp/dvc/sd1/img/spec_huzoku.jpg

am I correct that the COMPONENT cable is not included?

Is a D-component cable common and can I buy it elsewhere?
Cliff Gilmour is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion