DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Press Release: Panasonic AG-HSC1U (3CCD AVCHD) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/85746-press-release-panasonic-ag-hsc1u-3ccd-avchd.html)

Chris Hurd February 5th, 2007 03:30 PM

Press Release: Panasonic AG-HSC1U (3CCD AVCHD)

PANASONIC INTRODUCES AG-HSC1U, WORLD’S SMALLEST
PROFESSIONAL 3-CCD HIGH DEFINITION CAMCORDER

Utilizes Advanced AVCHD (H.264) Compression and Records on an SDHC Memory Card

SECAUCUS, NJ (February 5, 2006) – Panasonic introduced today the world’s smallest professional 3-CCD high definition camcorder – the AG-HSC1U. Weighing 1.1 pounds, this hand-held camcorder delivers stunning 1080i recordings with the accuracy and natural 3-CCD color reproduction that professionals require for capturing events in HD.

This highly-affordable HD camcorder is ideal for widescreen, high-resolution event documentation, presentation, training, coaching, and video production applications. Compatible with the rapidly growing number of large HD flat screen displays as well as front and rear-screen projectors, the AG-HSC1U offers much sharper images than can be obtained by standard definition (SD) camcorders.

Highly reliable and flexible because it’s solid state with no moving parts like tape or disc-based systems, the noiseless AG-HSC1U camcorder records up to 88 minutes (41 minutes in the highest quality mode) of video on a high-speed 4GB SDHC memory card. A highly-portable 40GB hard drive, capable of receiving and storing the contents of 10 4GB SDHC cards in the field, is packaged with the camcorder. SD video can be output in the widescreen 16:9 format.

“With the introduction of our AVCHD recording system, Panasonic expands its ability to offer professionals and video enthusiasts high-quality, solid-state acquisition solutions at a price that they can afford,” said Robert Harris, Vice President of Marketing, Panasonic Broadcast.

By utilizing the newly-developed, H.264-based Advanced Video Codec High Definition (AVCHD) video format, the AG-HSC1U delivers two times the recording efficiency of older MPEG-2 codec technologies like HDV. The AVCHD format is supported by a growing number of leading companies throughout the industry.

The camera comes with HD Writer version 1.0 software to perform simple edits as well as the ability to record onto a DVD-R for HD playback on a Blu-ray disc player from Panasonic or Sony (including PlayStation 3).
More sophisticated editing software from third-party NLE companies is expected in the Spring. In addition, Panasonic is developing a professional AVCHD recorder that is expected to be available by end of 2007.

The AVCHD camcorder incorporates a native ¼” 16:9 3-CCD system to deliver accurate, beautiful HD images. Its Leica Dicomar lens system features 13 lens elements in 10 groups and 21 multi-coated surfaces. The wide angle Auto/Manual focus F1.8 lens with 43mm filter size includes advanced Optical Image Stabilization (O.I.S.). Its optical image stabilizer ensures reliable and stable acquisition in virtually every shooting environment. The lens system uses low-dispersion optical glass for reduced chromatic aberration to produce professional-looking images.

The easy-to-use camcorder features a 16:9 3-inch 251,000-pixel LCD side screen that rotates up to 270 degrees for multiple viewing angles for playback or monitoring. The AG-HSC1U offers as standard the world’s
first 5.1-channel surround sound system with five microphones for production-quality sound. By recording in 5.1-channel surround sound, a professional can incorporate active sounds coming from many directions. A Zoom Mic function links the microphones’ action to the camera’s action.

Other key features of the professional graphite-colored camcorder include faster recording on startup (1.7 seconds), a Digital Zoom (30X to 700X) and a minimum illumination of 6 lux for low-light shooting. For increased versatility, the AG-HSC1U can capture 2.1 Megapixel still images onto the SDHC memory card – even during video recording. Video connections including HDMI, USB 2.0, component video, composite video, stereo audio plus stereo mic in.

The AG-HSC1U (including camcorder, 40GB SD Store portable hard drive, 4GB SDHC memory card and HD Writer version 1.0 software) will be available in March at a suggested list price of $ 2,099. The camera will be offered with a one-year parts and labor professional warranty.

For more information on the AG-HSC1U, please visit www.panasonic.com/broadcast.

About Panasonic Broadcast

Panasonic Broadcast & Television Systems Co. is a leading supplier of broadcast and professional video products and systems. Panasonic Broadcast is a unit company of Panasonic Corporation of North America. The company is the North American headquarters of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. (NYSE: MC) of Japan, and the hub of its U.S. marketing, sales, service and R&D operations. For more information on Panasonic Broadcast products, access the company’s web site at www.panasonic.com/broadcast.

Kris Galuska February 5th, 2007 03:50 PM

I can't see why it's considered pro. Am I missing something?

-Kris G

Chris Hurd February 5th, 2007 04:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Anything coming from Panasonic with the AG nomenclature is considered as "professional," because that's the division that's handling it. Here are a couple of pics... click to see 'em big:

Krystian Ramlogan February 5th, 2007 06:02 PM

hmm, as much as I am a fan of Panasonic, (DVX-100 and HVX-200) I can't see much point to this camera. How many out there would actually consider getting this? I'll wait on more details but I'm leaning more towards the JVC...

K.

Jason Burkhimer February 5th, 2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krystian Ramlogan
hmm, as much as I am a fan of Panasonic, (DVX-100 and HVX-200) I can't see much point to this camera. How many out there would actually consider getting this? I'll wait on more details but I'm leaning more towards the JVC...

K.

agreed. From the press so far, the JVC seems like it will best the Panasonic in most aspects. Hopefully the JVC will produce editable footage right away. The Panny seems to have garnered somewhat negative press so far being as that it has the same imager and lens as the SD1.

burk

Paulo Teixeira February 5th, 2007 07:15 PM

I'm going to hope we will see much better Camcorders at NAB because so far the JVC HD7 has no competition what so ever.

Anyway with a F1.6 lens, I definitely wouldn’t mind owning this camcorder.

Based on the spec, it records at around 13MBPS.
I hope their will be a higher option.

Susan Joseph February 5th, 2007 09:37 PM

...and there is still no solid editing softwares for AVCHD formats...

Evan C. King February 5th, 2007 11:29 PM

I'm surprised that this doesn't have 24p, it'd be a perfect time to test 24p AVCHD before having to put it into a higher level camera. If the mode sucked people would just write it off because of it's price and form factor.

Steve Wolla February 5th, 2007 11:30 PM

I'm a little disappointed here. Panasonic needs a pair of cams more in the spirit of the Canon HV20, and A1.

John Godden February 5th, 2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
Based on the spec, it records at around 13MBPS.
I hope their will be a higher option.

13MBPS.................. blah!

We're seeing the first of many 'upgrade cameras'. The manufacturers are very clever in this sort of incrementalism.

JohnG

Chris Hurd February 6th, 2007 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Joseph
...and there is still no solid editing softwares for AVCHD formats...

Incorrect. Grass Valley / Canopus Edius is compatible with AVCHD right now. Pinnacle just announced support at CES.

Drew Long February 6th, 2007 12:38 AM

Chris, are you referring to the AVCHD converter? Or can Edius directly edit AVCHD without transcoding?
Thanks
Drew

Chris Hurd February 6th, 2007 12:41 AM

Yes, the AVCHD-to-Canopus HQ Conversion Utility. Free to registered Edius 4 users.

Kevin Shaw February 6th, 2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Yes, the AVCHD-to-Canopus HQ Conversion Utility. Free to registered Edius 4 users.

According to a discussion about this in the Canopus forums, the AVCHD converter utility is only available in Japan for now - but U.S. employees are pushing for an integrated solution with Edius: http://forum.canopus.com/showthreade...=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Meanwhile, Canopus has reportedly announced that their upcoming Procoder 3 will support AVCHD to Canopus HQ conversion: http://www.videomaker.com/blog/2007/...coder-30-in-us

Chris Hurd February 6th, 2007 09:07 AM

Sure, but what matters is what's available when this camera actually ships... which isn't until later this Spring. This will be a moot issue by then.

Kevin Shaw February 6th, 2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Sure, but what matters is what's available when this camera actually ships... which isn't until later this Spring. This will be a moot issue by then.

Are you saying that most major editing programs will have some sort of AVCHD support within the next few months? If so that's good news.

Chris Hurd February 6th, 2007 09:42 AM

I am saying (or rather, have just said in a previous post) that there will definitely be *at least* two major editing apps that support AVCHD (again, those are Pinnacle Studio and GV / Canopus Edius) within the next few months when this camera ships.

Paulo Teixeira February 6th, 2007 10:49 AM

I wonder why Panasonic couldn’t put a focusing ring on a camcorder that is supposedly professional. Even their concept AVCHD camcorder had a focusing ring.
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...05/ifa6_09.jpg

It’s weird when a lot of Mini DV camcorders had a focusing ring including the GS250 and the Optura.

Owen Meek February 6th, 2007 12:03 PM

Quote ( "Everyone I show it to says, 'I want one,'" stated Panasonic Product Line Business Manager SteveGolub. )

not me. i want the HV20 at half the price with features i can use, thanks.

and 3ccd's?.. give us a single 1/1.8 for improved latitude dynamic range.. features the human eye can detect. bleeding colors on 1ccd is history.

could of been even better with the filmic gamma curve and negated progressive frames.

what happened to the company that kicked off the progressive mode? why leave it out now?

Paulo Teixeira February 6th, 2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen Meek
Quote ( "Everyone I show it to says, 'I want one,'" stated Panasonic Product Line Business Manager SteveGolub. )

not me. i want the HV20 at half the price with features i can use, thanks.

Well it does include a 4 gig memory card and a 40 gig external storage unit for that price so it’s safe to say that the camcorder itself is a few hundred dollars more than the HV20 and the only feature that the HV20 has over the Panasonic is 24p, nothing else to my knowledge. Still, the HV20 does make it look too expensive. Maybe Panasonic will lower the price once its released.

Kevin Shaw February 6th, 2007 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
According to a discussion about this in the Canopus forums, the AVCHD converter utility is only available in Japan for now...

Update from Canopus personnel: the AVCHD converter was online briefly but has been taken down until an updated version can be posted within the next few days or so.

If this is an Edius 4 plugin you'd need to be a registered user to access the download, as Chris alluded to earlier.

Ethan Cooper February 6th, 2007 06:02 PM

Jvc?

"From the press so far, the JVC seems like it will best the Panasonic in most aspects. Hopefully the JVC will produce editable footage right away."

Which camera are you talking about here?

Paulo Teixeira February 6th, 2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper
"From the press so far, the JVC seems like it will best the Panasonic in most aspects. Hopefully the JVC will produce editable footage right away."

Which camera are you talking about here?

It’s the JVC HD Everio GZ-HD7
http://www.jvc.com/presentations/eve...lid=MPEverioHD
It’s basically a GS400/HC1 equivalent with a 60 gig hard drive. It records a full 1920X1080 straight to MPEG2 verses the 1440X1080 of HDV
So far, there isn’t a camcorder that can touch it.

Thread
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=83341

Video of a JVC representative talking about it.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...8918&q=jvc+hd7

Hands-On
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ces2007/j...-hd-227549.php

Guy Bruner February 8th, 2007 06:51 AM

Panasonic confirmed that their press release is in error. The lens on the AG-HSC1U is F1.8, not F1.6 as stated in the press release. Except for the different video processing, gray paint job, and better warranty, this is the same camcorder as the consumer HDC-SD1.

Jerry Jones February 11th, 2007 11:24 PM

The big problem with AVCHD editing would seem to be the raw processing power required.

The H.264/MPEG-4 is said to be as much as five times as computationally intensive as MPEG-2.

So -- it would seem to be a significant tradeoff.

What one gains in codec efficiency and smaller file sizes would seem to be offset by the need for much more raw processing power.

I ran into problems as an early adopter with HDV MPEG-2.

My old computer wasn't fast enough so I bought a new one and now I have a computer that isn't fast enough for H.264.

I suspect many fairly new computers considered "fast" today won't cut the mustard where AVCHD editing is concerned.

The NLE firms know this, no doubt, and I suspect that's why they're taking so much time releasing software that will edit these files.

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

John Godden February 12th, 2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Bruner
Panasonic confirmed that their press release is in error. The lens on the AG-HSC1U is F1.8, not F1.6 as stated in the press release. Except for the different video processing, gray paint job, and better warranty, this is the same camcorder as the consumer HDC-SD1.

Guy

I totally agree with you on these last points.

This "pro" Pani looks really anemic (spec wise) compared to upcomming competion. That being said, I hope Pani announces (mid 07 ?) something more appealing for the prosumer crowd.

JohnG

Jerry Jones February 14th, 2007 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Jones
The big problem with AVCHD editing would seem to be the raw processing power required.

On the other hand, if a non-linear video editing program made use of video "proxies," then a weak computer would work.

That's the news I'm hoping to read when the big NAB announcements are made.

Jerry Jones

Guy Bruner February 14th, 2007 09:38 PM

But, Jerry, it is possible to do that right now. Nero 7 will transcode AVCHD to another format that is easier to edit. Or, a professional with lots of footage to convert might want to get the Elecard Converter Suite (pricey). IMO, the difficulty in editing AVCHD isn't the big issue here. It is simply an extension of the difficulty in editing HDV that has largely been solved. The real issue is the picture quality and features on these camcorders.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 14th, 2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Jones
On the other hand, if a non-linear video editing program made use of video "proxies," then a weak computer would work.

That's the news I'm hoping to read when the big NAB announcements are made.

Jerry Jones

Sony Vegas already does make use of these proxies. There are plugin tools for HD proxy creation for Vegas. The proxies are swapped out prior to rendering.

Guy, I'm with Jerry on this one. As a developer of these tools, and working closely with a couple of NLE companies, it's the raw processing power required that is the main current challenge, plus some decode to timeline issues. The image quality on these camcorders is weak, no doubt, but that's not the format, it's the quality of the glass, imagers, encoders, and bitrates. As the bitrates rise, it gets easier, but it's still serious horsepower, even a dual quad AMD machine chokes.

Jerry Jones February 15th, 2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Bruner
But, Jerry, it is possible to do that right now. Nero 7 will transcode AVCHD to another format that is easier to edit.

Nero 7, yes, will transcode AVCHD to another format, but the key feature I'm talking about is the feature where an NLE will automatically make the conversion to the editing format and then -- upon export -- link back to the original files in the timeline for export back to the original format.

Can Nero 7 do that, Guy?

I remember going over the feature description for that program and I didn't see that specific function.

Without that specific function, I'm afraid I'm still dubious.

Jerry Jones

Jerry Jones February 15th, 2007 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Guy, I'm with Jerry on this one. As a developer of these tools, and working closely with a couple of NLE companies, it's the raw processing power required that is the main current challenge, plus some decode to timeline issues. The image quality on these camcorders is weak, no doubt, but that's not the format, it's the quality of the glass, imagers, encoders, and bitrates. As the bitrates rise, it gets easier, but it's still serious horsepower, even a dual quad AMD machine chokes.

Spot, your experience with the dual quad AMD machine pretty much confirms what I suspected and, wow, that is significant; that's huge.

That Tore Nordahl fellow is still predicting that there will be an "AG-HVX200-style" pro AVCHD model introduced at NAB.

If that rumor is confirmed, then perhaps the questions about image quality will subside.

But the decode to timeline issues you mention also seem significant to me.

Jerry

Guy Bruner February 15th, 2007 05:13 PM

I don't disagree that it will take a robust computer to edit AVCHD. I see now what you meant by 'proxies', Jerry. I read that as 'intermediates' instead of your meaning. No, as far as I know, Nero doesn't offer 'takes' or 'proxies'. I suppose Vegas will after they update it like Sony said they would.

At last NAB, Panasonic said they would offer camcorders with H.264 Intraframe at 50 Mbps this April. I presume that means using it on P2 camcorders since that makes sense...doubles the record time. The HVX200 is an obvious recipient.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 15th, 2007 05:28 PM

As mentioned before, Vegas already allows for proxies/switchout, via plugins like GearShift.
For the short term, this is the only way that AVCHD will be easy to edit.

It'll be a huge achievement if Panasonic can make these camcorders fly; I'm not sure why they're using AVCHD if they're not taking advantage of the GOP structure; that's entirely what makes AVCHD what it is and the benefits AVCHD offers. Looking forward to seeing their results.

John Bosco Jr. March 1st, 2007 03:46 AM

Agreed. Let's see a AVCHD camcorder with its max 24mb/s, a decent glass, pro features, etc.

As far as AVC intra 50mb/s goes, you probably won't see it available for HVX 200. It is reserved as an option for its higher end HPX models, which also record DVCProHD. It would be a nice space-saving option, but be advised the codec's 50mb/s is announced as 4:2:0 and 1440 x 1080i, unlike its higher quality AVC intra which is announced as 100 mb/s, 4:2:2 and true 1920 x 1080i. Also be advised that AVC intra is different than AVCHD.

John

Paulo Teixeira March 1st, 2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Bosco Jr. (Post 633857)
Agreed. Let's see a AVCHD camcorder with its max 24mb/s, a decent glass, pro features, etc.

As far as AVC intra 50mb/s goes, you probably won't see it available for HVX 200. It is reserved as an option for its higher end HPX models, which also record DVCProHD. It would be a nice space-saving option, but be advised the codec's 50mb/s is announced as 4:2:0 and 1440 x 1080i, unlike its higher quality AVC intra which is announced as 100 mb/s, 4:2:2 and true 1920 x 1080i. Also be advised that AVC intra is different than AVCHD.

John

DVCPRO-HD was reserved for higher end full size cameras but if Panasonic was able to put DVCPRO-HD into the HVX200, then there is no reason why Panasonic wouldn’t put at least the 50 Mbps Intra codec into the successor. I bet they will also put in the 100Mbps version.

John Bosco Jr. March 2nd, 2007 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira (Post 634353)
DVCPRO-HD was reserved for higher end full size cameras but if Panasonic was able to put DVCPRO-HD into the HVX200, then there is no reason why Panasonic wouldn’t put at least the 50 Mbps Intra codec into the successor. I bet they will also put in the 100Mbps version.

They might, but they would have to redesign the camera to allow for the extra board. Most likely they would come out with a higher model, like an HVX250 or 300, adding a couple of grand to the price.

Paulo Teixeira March 2nd, 2007 10:37 AM

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you meant that these new codecs will never be in a HVX200 replacement. Yes, the camera as is, is not compatible.

Gen Franks March 2nd, 2007 05:46 PM

Anyone try this Camera yet?

I am interested in this camera and cosidering. I have seen good reviews on Amazon. I would like to know what you professionals think of this new technology. I am leaning between this camera or one of the small hard drive cameras that have come out recently.

Paulo Teixeira March 11th, 2007 04:36 PM

I said earlier in this thread http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=88523 that I went to a pro video show and this is one of the camcorders that I tried out.

Well here is a hands-on expression and please note that Panasonic told me that it’s a preproduction model.

The first thing you’ll notice when you hold on to the camcorder is that it’s extremely light and doesn’t feel as bulky as the HV20 that I also tried at the show. It was hooked up to a 50” plasma display and I couldn’t believe how clear the picture quality is. Except for videotaping some shadows in the ceiling, there were no gain present at all and this was inside a college basketball court.

The high resolution LCD screen is just as impressive. At first when I saw the live picture feed on the TV I thought that the picture quality was so good that it was fed through HDMI and that it couldn’t be that clear once you tape something to the memory card. It ended up being hooked up to the TV through component and when they reviewed the footage that the people have shot, the picture quality was just as impressive. The camcorder literally through people off guard when they walked passed the TV being shocked that a camcorder this small produced a picture quality this good.

I did spend about an hour playing with it and the memory card that was inside the camcorder belong to one of the Panasonic representatives. I truly wish I had my own memory card because I would have been able to upload the footage to this site. I would have actually done a comparison shot with the HV20 and the AG-HSC1U videotaping the same thing but since I came unprepared, it never happened. Believe me, next time I go to an electronics show I will be bringing just about every type of blank media so I can show you guys the footage.

For an AVCHD camcorder that records at 13mbps, it’s incredibly but I earnestly couldn’t tell you if the picture quality is better than the HC7 or the HV20 during good lighting. Compared to my HC1 the motion looks better but then again the HC1 is not a fair comparison because the HC1 is known to having a roiling shutter meaning the motion looks better than the HC1 but compared to the HC7 or the HV20, I’m clueless. Based on lowlight capability alone, it looked a lot better than the HV20 but the HV20 wasn’t hooked up to a TV so I could only judge by looking at the HV20’s LCD screen.

I still can’t believe Panasonic decided to leave a focusing ring out. For anyone who is wondering, AG has nothing to do with professional. It’s just something that they use for industrial camcorders. Even the Panasonic representatives consider it a consumer camcorder. Anyway, If you have the money, I strongly advise you to pick up the AG-HSC1U instead of the HDC-SD1 because I believe it has a better decoder inside.

This hands-on impression is a bit unorganized but hopefully some of you got something out of it and like I said, it’s a preproduction unit so the final model may even be better, but as is, I couldn’t find anything wrong with the camcorder.

Peter Jefferson March 13th, 2007 12:19 AM

in regard to editing h.264/avchd, Sigma Designs have had a chipset which allows u realtime encoding/decoding..
In fact thatyve only recently reworked a chipset for standalone players to do just this (playback avchd/h.264), and the XCard (which is long in the tooth now) has had the old variation now for over 2 years..

it WILL be possible to edit h.264 or avchd in realtime, if and only if the NLE producers think laterally and tap into HW chipsets like the one from Sigma

with Software it may be possible to edit, however performance wise, im assuming that it will end up going in the same direction as HDV when it was first released

What i find difficult to understand is that with the technology of today, i would have thought we'd be working alot smarter, not harder... it seems that with all these "workarounds" were wasting time and money trying to delivery the goods as opposed to actually focussing on the work at hand..

These new formats are all good, but in the end, how much more work will be required??