Press Release: Panasonic AG-HSC1U (3CCD AVCHD) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old February 5th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Press Release: Panasonic AG-HSC1U (3CCD AVCHD)

PANASONIC INTRODUCES AG-HSC1U, WORLD’S SMALLEST
PROFESSIONAL 3-CCD HIGH DEFINITION CAMCORDER

Utilizes Advanced AVCHD (H.264) Compression and Records on an SDHC Memory Card

SECAUCUS, NJ (February 5, 2006) – Panasonic introduced today the world’s smallest professional 3-CCD high definition camcorder – the AG-HSC1U. Weighing 1.1 pounds, this hand-held camcorder delivers stunning 1080i recordings with the accuracy and natural 3-CCD color reproduction that professionals require for capturing events in HD.

This highly-affordable HD camcorder is ideal for widescreen, high-resolution event documentation, presentation, training, coaching, and video production applications. Compatible with the rapidly growing number of large HD flat screen displays as well as front and rear-screen projectors, the AG-HSC1U offers much sharper images than can be obtained by standard definition (SD) camcorders.

Highly reliable and flexible because it’s solid state with no moving parts like tape or disc-based systems, the noiseless AG-HSC1U camcorder records up to 88 minutes (41 minutes in the highest quality mode) of video on a high-speed 4GB SDHC memory card. A highly-portable 40GB hard drive, capable of receiving and storing the contents of 10 4GB SDHC cards in the field, is packaged with the camcorder. SD video can be output in the widescreen 16:9 format.

“With the introduction of our AVCHD recording system, Panasonic expands its ability to offer professionals and video enthusiasts high-quality, solid-state acquisition solutions at a price that they can afford,” said Robert Harris, Vice President of Marketing, Panasonic Broadcast.

By utilizing the newly-developed, H.264-based Advanced Video Codec High Definition (AVCHD) video format, the AG-HSC1U delivers two times the recording efficiency of older MPEG-2 codec technologies like HDV. The AVCHD format is supported by a growing number of leading companies throughout the industry.

The camera comes with HD Writer version 1.0 software to perform simple edits as well as the ability to record onto a DVD-R for HD playback on a Blu-ray disc player from Panasonic or Sony (including PlayStation 3).
More sophisticated editing software from third-party NLE companies is expected in the Spring. In addition, Panasonic is developing a professional AVCHD recorder that is expected to be available by end of 2007.

The AVCHD camcorder incorporates a native ¼” 16:9 3-CCD system to deliver accurate, beautiful HD images. Its Leica Dicomar lens system features 13 lens elements in 10 groups and 21 multi-coated surfaces. The wide angle Auto/Manual focus F1.8 lens with 43mm filter size includes advanced Optical Image Stabilization (O.I.S.). Its optical image stabilizer ensures reliable and stable acquisition in virtually every shooting environment. The lens system uses low-dispersion optical glass for reduced chromatic aberration to produce professional-looking images.

The easy-to-use camcorder features a 16:9 3-inch 251,000-pixel LCD side screen that rotates up to 270 degrees for multiple viewing angles for playback or monitoring. The AG-HSC1U offers as standard the world’s
first 5.1-channel surround sound system with five microphones for production-quality sound. By recording in 5.1-channel surround sound, a professional can incorporate active sounds coming from many directions. A Zoom Mic function links the microphones’ action to the camera’s action.

Other key features of the professional graphite-colored camcorder include faster recording on startup (1.7 seconds), a Digital Zoom (30X to 700X) and a minimum illumination of 6 lux for low-light shooting. For increased versatility, the AG-HSC1U can capture 2.1 Megapixel still images onto the SDHC memory card – even during video recording. Video connections including HDMI, USB 2.0, component video, composite video, stereo audio plus stereo mic in.

The AG-HSC1U (including camcorder, 40GB SD Store portable hard drive, 4GB SDHC memory card and HD Writer version 1.0 software) will be available in March at a suggested list price of $ 2,099. The camera will be offered with a one-year parts and labor professional warranty.

For more information on the AG-HSC1U, please visit www.panasonic.com/broadcast.

About Panasonic Broadcast

Panasonic Broadcast & Television Systems Co. is a leading supplier of broadcast and professional video products and systems. Panasonic Broadcast is a unit company of Panasonic Corporation of North America. The company is the North American headquarters of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. (NYSE: MC) of Japan, and the hub of its U.S. marketing, sales, service and R&D operations. For more information on Panasonic Broadcast products, access the company’s web site at www.panasonic.com/broadcast.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I can't see why it's considered pro. Am I missing something?

-Kris G
Kris Galuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Anything coming from Panasonic with the AG nomenclature is considered as "professional," because that's the division that's handling it. Here are a couple of pics... click to see 'em big:
Attached Thumbnails
Press Release: Panasonic AG-HSC1U (3CCD AVCHD)-ag-hsc1a.jpg   Press Release: Panasonic AG-HSC1U (3CCD AVCHD)-ag-hsc1b.jpg  

Old February 5th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hmm, as much as I am a fan of Panasonic, (DVX-100 and HVX-200) I can't see much point to this camera. How many out there would actually consider getting this? I'll wait on more details but I'm leaning more towards the JVC...

K.
Krystian Ramlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Ramlogan
hmm, as much as I am a fan of Panasonic, (DVX-100 and HVX-200) I can't see much point to this camera. How many out there would actually consider getting this? I'll wait on more details but I'm leaning more towards the JVC...

K.

agreed. From the press so far, the JVC seems like it will best the Panasonic in most aspects. Hopefully the JVC will produce editable footage right away. The Panny seems to have garnered somewhat negative press so far being as that it has the same imager and lens as the SD1.

burk
Jason Burkhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Trustee

I'm going to hope we will see much better Camcorders at NAB because so far the JVC HD7 has no competition what so ever.

Anyway with a F1.6 lens, I definitely wouldn’t mind owning this camcorder.

Based on the spec, it records at around 13MBPS.
I hope their will be a higher option.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #7
New Boot

...and there is still no solid editing softwares for AVCHD formats...
Susan Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm surprised that this doesn't have 24p, it'd be a perfect time to test 24p AVCHD before having to put it into a higher level camera. If the mode sucked people would just write it off because of it's price and form factor.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm a little disappointed here. Panasonic needs a pair of cams more in the spirit of the Canon HV20, and A1.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
Based on the spec, it records at around 13MBPS.
I hope their will be a higher option.
13MBPS.................. blah!

We're seeing the first of many 'upgrade cameras'. The manufacturers are very clever in this sort of incrementalism.

JohnG
John Godden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Joseph
...and there is still no solid editing softwares for AVCHD formats...
Incorrect. Grass Valley / Canopus Edius is compatible with AVCHD right now. Pinnacle just announced support at CES.

Old February 6th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Chris, are you referring to the AVCHD converter? Or can Edius directly edit AVCHD without transcoding?
Thanks
Drew
Drew Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, the AVCHD-to-Canopus HQ Conversion Utility. Free to registered Edius 4 users.

Old February 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Yes, the AVCHD-to-Canopus HQ Conversion Utility. Free to registered Edius 4 users.
According to a discussion about this in the Canopus forums, the AVCHD converter utility is only available in Japan for now - but U.S. employees are pushing for an integrated solution with Edius: http://forum.canopus.com/showthreade...=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Meanwhile, Canopus has reportedly announced that their upcoming Procoder 3 will support AVCHD to Canopus HQ conversion: http://www.videomaker.com/blog/2007/...coder-30-in-us
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Sure, but what matters is what's available when this camera actually ships... which isn't until later this Spring. This will be a moot issue by then.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion