Help setting up a broadcast monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old September 20th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Help setting up a broadcast monitor

I have just purchased a sony PVM-14L1 monitor and I am having problems setting it up for avid. I am using xpress pro HD and thought that with my nvidia 7950gt that I would be able to preview my timeline via the s video cable. Now I have my camera connected to the computer via firewire and set to vcr mode, and the monitor connected to the camera via s video. Yet with this I still can't avid to start previewing on the monitor. I think this is a simple problem I just can't figure it out since most of the searches I do show how to do it with a deck.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Trustee

I don't know about using the svideo straight from the card, but it you want to, you would need to enable TVout in the card driver settings.

If you want to see it through the camera, you need to enable the DV/AV out in your camera menu. At least, that's what I think it's called on Sony cams. You'll have to check your manual in the section where it deals with making dubs from the computer.

Oh, and check that you have the right input selected on your monitor, hehe...
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Major Player

You should also know that none of the various HDV formats will play back to any kind of monitor. Their GOP structure doesn't allow playback unless re-encoded. So your setup is SD only.
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #4
Trustee

Good point, Jiri. If you have a Mojo, it will output SD from an HDV timeline to a client monitor for you, though.
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Good point, Jiri. If you have a Mojo, it will output SD from an HDV timeline to a client monitor for you, though.
Not to my knowledge, Vito. Mojo doesn't work with HDV at all. To ingest you actually need to unplug it and while working in HDV or DNxHD, Mojo is not functional. I am currently editing a project shot in HDV1080i60 and eventhough my Mojo is physically connected to the computer, above my timeline AXP only shows the 1344 button option, no DNA.

The Mojo might work once you convert the HDV format into SD via the Format option. I haven't tried that yet, so I am not sure.
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Jiri,

Look up "Playing Back HDV Media" in the AVID help menu.

Who loves ya!
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #7
Major Player

Vito,

I think that you are referring to the switching of project type between HDV1080i60 and DV - under the Format tab. Playing back 'native' HDV through Mojo is impossible - unfortunatelly. Ditto for DNxHD. Only Adrenaline HD can do that on the Avid side of the tracks.

Jiri
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala View Post
I think that you are referring to the switching of project type between HDV1080i60 and DV - under the Format tab.
Yes, I am.

Quote:
Playing back 'native' HDV through Mojo is impossible - unfortunatelly. Ditto for DNxHD. Only Adrenaline HD can do that on the Avid side of the tracks.
Jiri
Did you look in the help menu? It says clearly that:

"On systems with Avid Mojo hardware, in a 1080i HDV project you can play back through the Mojo by doing the following:
In the Project window, select Format tab > Project Type menu, and select a project type as described in the following table.

HDV Project Type Select to play back through Mojo hardware
1080i/59.94 HDV 30i NTSC
1080i 50 HDV 25i PAL

The media is downconverted and plays in SD with an anamorphic squeeze."

So as I said, the mojo will output SD from an HDV timeline.

Cheers,
Vito
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #9
Major Player

We are in full agreement, Vito. :-)

HDV 1080i (and only that, not 720p) can be played back only as downconverted SD/DV. 'Native' HDV won't be processed through Mojo at all. I just wanted to make the distinction for the original poster James to make sure that he understands the difference. Then again, James didn't mention HD/HDV, so perhaps his issue si something else.

Jiri
Old September 20th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala View Post
We are in full agreement, Vito. :-)

HDV 1080i (and only that, not 720p) can be played back only as downconverted SD/DV.
Yes, Jiri. That's exactly what I said in my original post:

"If you have a Mojo, it will output SD from an HDV timeline"

Your response was that it was impossible.

Anyway, we're highjacking the poor guy's thread. Seems like we agree anyway. Problem with semantics.

All the best,
Vito
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #11
Major Player

Vito, in my next life I will try to learn how to read better, eh? :-)
Take care,
Jiri
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #12
Major Player

So there is no way with my monitor to preview hdv? Well I might be selling this monitor then.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brill View Post
So there is no way with my monitor to preview hdv?
Not that I know of...Perhaps someone with more experience will kick in with an opinion.
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #14
Major Player

That's what I worried about - that you might want to view HD/HDV via Mojo. No. There is no way. Nada. There have been numerous discussions on the Avid board regarding this and as Vito and I stated, the only way of viewing HD content on an SD monitor with Avid is as downconverted via the Format tab (and that is ONLY from interlaced content - HDV1080i) or with Adrenaline HD box ($20k+). The other viewing option is using your second computer monitor as a client preview via the 'Full screen mode' - I am not in front of my Avid to be sure I got the name right but it is a function under the same option tab as workspaces (i.e. colour correction, capture, etc.)

Oh, and I should add that for viewing HD you should really consider an HD monitor. The PVM 14 is at best a fairly low rez SD monitor. There are some pro HD LCD monitors in $2-3k range but there are also smaller LCD HD panels that do a pretty good job for basic HD monitoring in the $300-500 range. I use a 17" Sony LCD that works very well and even has two DVI and one HDMI inputs (on top of component and composit).

Last edited by Jiri Bakala; September 21st, 2007 at 10:21 AM.
Jiri Bakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:38 AM   #15
Major Player

Do you have any links to one of those monitors? I may just exchange this monitor through bh (where I purchased it) for a monitor that can do hdv.

edit- this may be off topic but my next assignment is one where I need to make a commercial for broadcast. So wouldn't I want my project to be SD? I planned on filming in hdv with my Z1 and then down converting at some point. Would I be able to preview my timeline with the monitor if I capture my footage down converted from my camera or down converted at some point?

Last edited by James Brill; September 21st, 2007 at 06:34 PM.
James Brill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family