Avid Xpress Pro Vs FCS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Avid Xpress Pro Vs FCS

Hi
I'm considering a new NLE or NLE package and I have worked previously in FCP and I like the GUI a lot. I have also edited some in Avid, but not as much as in FCP. But it would be good to master Avid since it is the leading thing in the big facilities. But for a small-company producer as me, can I do everything I want with Avid Xpress Pro? Are there big disadvantages with only having the Avid Xpress Pro (and not the whole Media Composer family) for the small professional producer? My budget is of course limited.
Edit: I need to produce customized dvd:s and lay effects, and I have the CS3 suite.
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I cut with Avid XpressPro, and I'm going to reccomend either considering the Media Composer, or going with FCS. Much will depend on the platform you are running or thinking of purchasing. In terms of feature sets, Final Cut lies between XpressPro and Media Composer. It will do a little more than AXP and a little less than MC. Price wise, it's closer to AvidXP UNTIL you factor in the 'proprietary equipment' necessary to run it. That is, fully featured MAC.

So if you already own a great PC, and just want a software upgrade, consider the MC with Mojo. It comes with lots of 'extra' third party apps. IF you're looking at having to upgrade your entire suite, then consider porting your software over to MAC. What will it cost to get you up and running with a good MAC and software?

The fact that ninety percent of Network TV, Broadcast and Film here in America is still cut on AVID, shouldn't sway your decision - UNLESS you are looking to work in such and environement OR you are going to be transferring your work from your AvidXpress to finishing on a high end MC or Symphony suite. IF you're not likely to be looking at either scenario, than FCP is definately becomming the dominant force in small 'indy' shops such as your own. IF you are more likely to swap files and media with other indies... probably FCP is the more logical choice.

For myself, I am looking for a new laptop this winter, and will be purchasing a new Macbook Pro. Since Avid ships copies for MAC and PC of all it's software, my AXP will load right onto it and run just fine. I will also be picking up a copy of FCP... so I'll be working with both apps. Sometime next year, I'll be considering an upgrade to my desktop. At THAT time, I'll look into foing all MAC or changing over to MC with Mojo. Much will depend on what comes down the pike concerning new cameras, new formats and which NLE supports it. (I am about to purchase an XLH-1 and AXP does NOT support Canon's 24f at this time, while FCP does.)

Probably didn't help you much, but it will give you an idea of things to consider.

Last edited by Richard Alvarez; November 3rd, 2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Seplelling, er swpelling, speeelling, splleing, spelleng...
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family