Is Vista Business necessary for Avid Media Composer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old August 31st, 2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is Vista Business necessary for Avid Media Composer?

Hi,

Avid's site recommends Vista Business, but I can get a deal on the home edition. Is there any compatibility issues or reasons to go with business? I'll be using the 64-bit versions of either software. Thank you.
Kareem Dimashkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Can you get a deal on Ultimate? If so, it has everything Business has. In fact, Ultimate is essentially Home Premium + Business.

There's a complete comparison here:

Windows Vista: Compare editions

This is what you get with Business that you don't with Home Premium:

Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore (but you could get a better 3rd party option)
Windows Fax and Scan (if you have a fax/scanner you probably have better software)
Remote Desktop Connection (I actually use this everyday)

I'd ask Avid.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Trustee

Kareem,

Without a doubt, you have to go with the exact OS version Avid recommends. You may be able to get a different copy up and running, but there is no guarantee future releases of Avid will work on it, and then where will you be?

And when you ask for support, you will hear time and time again "Avid is not qualified to run on Vista Home," which will often times end the dialog.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Installed AVID using Vista Business this week, and everything is working fine so far. Thank you all for your help and steering me in the right direction.
Kareem Dimashkie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family