Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2005 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Closed Thread

Old September 30th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #136
Regular Crew

AVID releases 5.2 to Avid XPress Pro HD users

I'm late, sorry : )
Old October 5th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #137
Major Player

no one uses avid here? odd...
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #138
Major Player

If you are dragging and dropping an effect onto the clip, then you might need to zoom on the timeline, so avid doesn't think you are trying to drop the effect on top of an existing effect.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 09:31 AM   #139
Regular Crew

Avid HD to Combustion

Hi there, I am switching over to editing HDV in avid xpress pro HD, and color correcting in Combustion, instead of Adobe premiere to Adobe AE.

My problem is, the latest release of Avid, supports HDV, and captures the stream natively, but wraps it in an MXF wrapper. Now Combustion wont recognise this MXF format, and renaming it wont help. When i have finished my edit, what i want to do is render (consolodate) all of the clips in the timeline with uncompressed versions, which the AAF file will refer to. Then i can merrily import into combustion using Automatic Duck, and the AAF file, with no problems, while retaining my individual clip for color correction etc.

Does anyone know if this is possible. I am not able to consolodate to anything other than DNxHD 120. Now I fully understand that avid won't be able to play back the uncompressed video on the timeline, however this is not important, as at this stage the edit will be locked.

If anyone knows of any other way of getting HD from avid to Combustion while keeping edit points, I'd love to hear about it.

Thankyou in advance, Nick

www.pixelloft.com
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #140
Major Player

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, only a question: why aren't you color correcting in Avid? I thought its color correction was excellent.
Old October 27th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #141
Tourist

Capturing 24p footage in Avid

Anyone know the proper process to capture 24p footage from an XL2? I have captured it into a 24p project, but it's coming out interlaced.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 04:03 PM   #142
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Avid Announces the Avid Liquid Product Line

Company re-brands products from Pinnacle acquisition; introduces new version of flagship all-in-one video solution

Tewksbury, MA – November 3, 2005 – Avid Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ : AVID) today announced the Avid Liquid™ product line, the company’s new nonlinear editing software and hardware offerings for event videographers, government and corporate video producers, and high-end enthusiasts. Drawn from editing products formerly developed by Pinnacle Systems, the Avid Liquid family includes new versions (v.7.0) of the Avid Liquid and Avid Liquid Pro systems, both of which are packed with new features designed for users who want a single application for creation and delivery of tape, DVD and streaming media. The product line also includes new configurations and pricing for the Avid Liquid Chrome HD (v.6.1) family of solutions featuring advanced standard-definition (SD) and high-definition (HD) I/O hardware.

“With Avid Liquid, we introduce the ideal product for people who want it all – editing, surround audio, DVD, titling, effects and more – and want it in one affordable application,” said Dana Ruzicka, vice president, Postproduction Product Marketing, at Avid. “For them, Avid Liquid is the ideal solution: one easy-to-use application, one learning curve, without sacrificing power or performance.”

Videoguys’ Avid Liquid page - pre-order your Avid Liquid 7 upgrade!! http://www.videoguys.com/avidliquid.html

Avid Liquid Website http://www.avid.com/products/liquid/index.asp

Gary
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #143
Trustee

Xpress Pro HD problem with HD50 deck - help?

OK folks. We are trying to install our new JVC GY-HD50 deck pretty far from our Avid Xpress Pro HD system. We are running the 422 line about 120' from the deck to the HP Avid is loaded on. Latest update from Avid. Machine has plenty of power and is fine with our other decks in the same remote location including 500a digibetas, DSRs and BVWs. Still works just fine with them but when we connect the JVC HD50 deck for testing, we get a few mouse clicks and then it tells us there is a communication error and bails out.

If I tell it to check the decks again, it's fine for another few mouse clicks and the communication dies again. We are able to use several deck types and get the same results. I suspect the run for the 422 control is too long but the chief insists it's within RS422 specs. It just seems like the signal might be a bit weak. We run the 232 port through a Rosetta Stone 2/8 to get to 422 by the way. We have spares. I'll swap it out to see if it's drivers are weak.

Anyone else having troubles remote locating a JVC GY-HD50 deck?

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Old November 8th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #144
Inner Circle

Sean,
Never run a deck that remote. You'll have more luck with responses on the Avid forum. I'm nearly alone as an avid user on this forum. (Or so it seems some days!)

www.avid.com

Folks there will have that kind of experience.
Old November 9th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #145
Major Player

Avid Xpress on LAPTOP. what specs will i need?

I'm going to get a laptop for video editing on Avid Xpress DV (for windows). What are the minimal specs I'd need for my laptop so that I won't be running into problems. I know that Avid Xpress is a bit fussy with hardware and requires certain configurations. This will be my first laptop and I'm not sure that the research I've done for desktop will be relevant.

If anyone here is using Avid Xpress DV on their laptop and are happy, I'd really appreciate it if they give me their opinion and set-up.

Thanks.
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #146
Inner Circle

Adi,
Check out http://www.avid.com/products/xpressprohd/specs.asp#pc
For system reccomendations also this was listed under notebooks.

Qualified PC Notebooks
(see Important Notes 2 and 4)
Avid Xpress Pro1
Avid Xpress Pro2
Avid Xpress Pro3

Alienware MJ-12m 7700
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.6 GHz
2 GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM at 5333MHz
NVIDIA Quadro FX Go 1400 with 256MB DDR3
Two 60 GB Hard drives (7200 rpm)
Supports Avid Unity LANshare EX if Avid Mojo is NOT connected.

Dell Inspiron 5160 3.2GHz Pentium 4.
Includes integrated graphics and 1394 port

Dell Precision M60 Mobile Workstation,
Includes integrated graphics and 1394 port.
A 60 GB 7200 RPM internal drive should be used with this model.
Supports Avid Unity LANshare EX if Avid Mojo is NOT connected

Dell Latitude D800 Notebook
A 5400 RPM or faster disk drive and 64MB video memory option are required.

HP Compaq Mobile Workstation nw8000
Add-in PCMCIA cards are not supported.

HP Compaq nw8240 Mobile Workstation
2 GB of 533MHz, DDR2 SDRAM;
ATI Mobility Fire GL V5000 graphics controller
Note: DVCPRO HD format not supported.

HP Compaq nx9600 Notebook PC
2 GB of 400 MHz, DDR SDRAM
ATI Mobility Radeon X600 (PCI Express) with 128MB of video memory
Available exclusively through your local Avid Reseller.

Dell Precision M70 Mobile Workstation
Requires add-on IEEE-1394 card
2 GB of 533MHz, DDR2 SDRAM;
NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1400 256MB graphics controller
Note: DVCPRO HD format not supported. Supports Avid Unity LANshare EX. Avid Mojo is not supported with this laptop; connecting it will result in corruption of the firmware and render the Avid Mojo unusable

HP N800W Mobile Workstation
Requires a qualified 1394 card

Panasonic Toughbook-CF-51
1 GB SDRAM Memory
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 64MB
60 GB Hard drive (7200 rpm)
Note: DVCPRO HD format and Avid Mojo are not supported.

IBM ThinkPad T43P
1 GB SDRAM Memory
ATI Mobility FireGL V3200
Note: Requires Avid Xpress Pro 4.6.5; does not support Avis Xpress Pr v5.0

1 Beyond L3215MIL
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2
3.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 with HT Technology
60 GB Hard drive (7200 rpm)
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
Note: Does not support Mojo connectivity.

For additional information on 1 Beyond L3215MIL check out the see the the 1 Beyond website

1 - With Avid Mojo and external storage and/or LANshare EX Connectivity
2 - With Avid Mojo and internal ATA (IDE) or serial ATA storage only
3 - Software Only
Old November 10th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #147
Major Player

Thanks Richard. The thing is, this list seems a bit our of date. for example:

Dell Inspiron 5160 3.2GHz Pentium 4.
Includes integrated graphics and 1394 port

I called Dell and asked them about this model. It turns out this line has been replaced by the 6000 series. Does this mean that the Dell Inspiron 6000 is good with avid too? i'm not sure.
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:00 PM   #148
Major Player

On the Dell internet site I put together a notebook based on the Dell Isnpirion 9300. These are the specs:

Inspiron 9300 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)

Display: 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen XGA+ Display

Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm

Video Card: ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X300 64MB HyperMemory™

Hard Drive: 100GB Hard Drive

Network Card: Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

CD/DVD Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer

Wireless Networking Card: Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)

It came out to about $1200. Will Avid Xpress Pro be happy with this? Cuz it's really even a bit over what I planned to spend.

Thanks
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #149
Trustee

Richard, You'r not alone. They are here, like me, just silently watching and waiting. We've all got aour tails between our legs waiting for Avid to finally support HDV 24p.

Been to the Avid forms. Also been in touch with JVC. They are interested in this issue. Seems we also can't control the deck at all, same symptoms, over firewire from 4 feet away. I think control in our deck is SNAFU.

We, and quite a lot of post and broadcast facilities often run quite long stretches of 422 for remoting decks from control rooms to tape bays, etc. I haven't read it in a while, if ever, but the chief says 422 specs should be good to quite a bit longer than we are trying. Hence JVCs interest in ours not working I think.

Still testing and researching with JVC on this one.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Old November 12th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #150
Inner Circle

Adi:
If you live in the US and you can wait, wait until a hot deal on a Dell laptop pops up. Sometimes there are $750US off Inspiron coupons.

Your user shows Israel for the location, so you may not be able to get such deals in your country.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family