Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2005 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Closed Thread

Old February 21st, 2005, 08:10 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Avid won't OUTPUT advanced pulldown without the Mojo.(The mojo is hardware acceleration that reinserts the pulldown on the fly.) It will output 24p 2:3 without it. You can output either via dvd, or quicktime.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:27 AM   #32
Tourist

Again guys thanks for all the help.
Say I shoot in 24p and then cut it on a regular time line, 29.97 or whatever 30fps actually is, will I encounter any problems, or If I'm making dvd's should I just cut it on a actual 24p time line, or 23.97, if thats right.
Just asking questions. As I said before I am compulsive and don't want to start something and get stuck with format issues.

This forum is great, by the way. Imformative and respectful of those of us who might be a little new to all the frame rates and pull downs. Just thought I'd throw that in one more time.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:29 AM   #33
Tourist

Framerates

I think what I'll do is run some tests on the different frame rates, burn some test dvds and see what I like the best.
Again guys thanks again for everything. You've really helped put my mind at ease.
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:49 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Yup, thats the way to approach any major project. Storyboarding, exposure tests(in film) lighting tests, and now with mutli format video available, a test of Frame rate and compression options is a must. Pick some extreme examples of what you anticipate doing. Low light, high contrast, or fast action for example, and shoot a minute or two of each, then play around with it.

Good luck.
Old March 10th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #35
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Pinnacle Liquid Edition 6.1 Updater

Liquid Edition version 6.1 is now available. LE6.1 is an important update that offers several great new features such as full screen preview and comprehensive Sony HDV support.

Exciting new features now available with version 6.1
· Full Screen preview – Real time preview of your timeline on your VGA monitor for all formats including HDV
· Improved HDV Support – There is now greatly improved HDV support with the addition of comprehensive deck and device control for the shipping Sony & JVC HDV cameras & decks.
· True MPEG-2 IPB HD Rendering - IBP Rendering (25Mbit/sec) for HDV. Now you can render HDV editing and effects in the true MPEG-2 IBP format. This allows you to maintain the high quality and small size of MPEG02 IBP format across the entire HDV sequence.
· Replace Edit Function – CTRL + DRAG a clip to timeline when replacing a clip and now maintain transitions and effects that were already applied to the clip being replaced
· Drag Clips Disbanded to Timeline – Drag a clip from a rack to the timeline and both video and audio tracks are now visible.
· Display Keyframe of Existing Effects in the RTFX editor – now when applying additional effects to a clip, you can view the Keyframe markers from the existing effects in the effect editor. This allows editions to make better decisions quicker.
· Many more, great feature additions and bug fixes

Click below to look at the Liquid 6.1 Readme file for more information (fixes, new functions, installation etc.)

Installation: Click below to download the file to your system. Double-click on the file to start the installation. Note: 631 MB file size.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/docsuppor...6&page_id=1054

Gary
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #36
Regular Crew

"great new features such as full screen preview" The site at least as I read it says with a 254 meg card and HDV you can use the video card overlay to fill the computer lcd so what is offered is only that which is used by Pinnacle for preview....I don't think that is full frame full resolution.Also there is only one video card that I know of that can do 1920x1080 and that is the fireGL 7100....and what would do the scaling?
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #37
Trustee

I know for a fact that the X800 video cards also does 1920x1080 as that is how we configured the one we had attached to an Iiyama 46" LCD. The X800 kicks butt in LE 6. GPU renders are under a second for SD transitions (15 frames).

Also, 256MB is recommended for HDV. I have run two clips in line on my ATI 9600XT (128). SD full screen runs smoothly, even stretched to 1024x768 (I think I am actually at 1156x ).
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Does it have component out to carry the signal or is it hooked up RGB 15 pin or svideo? Also I wonder if the output is full frame full resolution since the video card will only ouitput that which LE generates for preview....and I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't full frame full resolution....could be wrong though just asking.
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #39
Trustee

The preview is via the regular monitor. If you want a seperate monitor, you use Pro and a connection via the BOB.
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #40

Avid rebates expire 3/15

Guys, Avids got some great mail in rebate promotions going now that expire March 15th.

$200 mail in rebate on Xpress DV
$500 Rebate on Xpress Studio Essentials
$1,000 Rebate on Xpress Studio Complete

If you already own Xpress DV or Xpress Pro Avid is offering a $500 mail in rebate on all Xpress Studio Upgrades.

JVC also has a mail in rebate promotion going with JVC if you buy one of there professional DV Cams.

For more details or to download rebate forms http://www.videoguys.com/avid.html

Gary
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #41

Just got word from Avid, the Xpress Studio rebates have been exteded for 10 more days - through March 25th!!

Gary
Old March 18th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Liquid sucks

I have to use liquid at work. It sucks. nothing works how it should. I cant export anything with transitions, titles, or effects. Go to Vegas. Much better program.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:32 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Avid releases source for DNxHD codec

Avid has released source code for the DNxHD codec so developers can create apps that can access Avid MFX compliant files.
There are no official support programs for this.

http://www.avid.com/dnxhd/
Old March 25th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #44
Major Player

It would be nice if there was a VFW codec released. As of now, what can do you do with it?
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #45
Major Player

Over at HDforIndies it was explained like this:

"I think the reasons Avid put this out was 1) it makes them look an open source friendly company, 2) it could be used by post houses that wanted to read DNxHD media frame by frame into a compositing system 3) companies could evaluate it for licensing in devices. Ikegami has a camera in development that will record DnxHD 220."

This is not a direct comment from Mike Curtis but a quote he put up in his blog.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family