Avid Xpress pro 5. Hd and JVC BR-HD50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old March 7th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Avid Xpress pro 5. Hd and JVC BR-HD50

Has anyone had success using the JVC BR-HD50 deck and Avid Xpress 5.0.
I had not received my new deck yet but I am getting a feeling after looking at some of the posts on the Avid site that the BR-HD50 is not supported.
Anyone have ideas on that?

Jim
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #2
JVC America

Avid support on BR-HD50U

Hi Jim,

The GY-HD100U and the BR-HD50U are supported by Avid. See this link:

http://www.avid.com/content/8927/SUP...20PRODUCTS.pdf

Avid needs to update this document.

The GY-HD100U is listed, but the BR-HD50U is not, however, if you look on the actual software, under the deck configurations, the BR-HD50U shows up as a choice. I personally use an Avid Xpress Pro HD every week, so I know this to be true.

Regards, Carl
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Carl
What ver. of Avid Xpress are you using? Right now I am using 5.0.

Jim
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #4
JVC America

Avid Version

I'm using Avid Express Pro ver. 5.2.3

Carl
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #5
Major Player

I see it now that I updated my codecs and it shows up under JVC decks as the BR-HD50U which pleased me no end. However....when I tell AXP this is the deck to use it will show the correct TC but that is all. No control of the deck and no Video or Audio do I see. Now I am rather new to NLE soooo it might be me. I am now using NLE at home, but at work it is DVCpro and still deck to deck editing.
I wish I had another software program to try and see if it just Avid or I have some setting wrong.

Jim
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Carl, I just now noticed you are with JVC. Just got the GY-HD100U and the BR-HD50U and love it. My whole career I have used 2/3 in chip cameras...mostly Ikegami's but I have to say the HD100 has a beautiful picture.

Can I ask what editing software you might recomment for the JVC HDV?

thanks
Jim
Old March 9th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #7
JVC America

Avid connection

Hi Jim,

Here's a few things to try:

1. Go into preferences, then deck configuration. Delete and then rebuild the firewire connection to the BRHD50.
2. Don't use the Mojo for HDV , if you have one. The deck's firewire should be plugged into the host firewire port on the PC.
3. Make sure the firewire switch on the fron panel of the deck is set to HDV
4. Does the tape play OK in the camera?
5. In the capture tool, can you select the video and audio tracks?
6. If you are using an external firewire, don't connect it to the same firewire bus as the deck.

I'm not an official tech support person. These are just my personal observations.

Regards, Carl
Old March 9th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #8
JVC America

HDV Software

Hi Jim,

Regarding HDV software, I have customers using several different ones. Apple Final Cut Pro, Avid Xpress Pro HD, Adobe Premier Pro, and Avid/Pinnacle Liquid. They all seem to have strengths and weaknesses. I really am not experianced enough with any of them to recommend one specific one.

Regards, Carl
Old March 11th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #9
Major Player

avid xpress pro prob with id hardware

Hi, hows it going, Avid Xpress Pro Hd is it? Check the faq, I had a problem where it wouldn't find my panasonic dvcam, so i did a check. It works in normal avid xpress but not hd. So basically I had to do a regedit as per found on the faq, and things started to work. (regsvr32 DVBuffers.ax).
So I don't know if this will help, maybe there is another edit that will do the same thing but for your deck? I got no picture prior to this edit as well.
All I can say is, that helped me, if all else fails, give it a bash maybe! Good luck
Adam Letch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family