Avid Xpress tutorials at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:41 AM   #1
Trustee

Avid Xpress tutorials

How have you Avid Xpress users got to learn how to use it?

What I mean is have you used any books or DVDs as tutorials?

What were the ones you found to be best?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Carlos,
I edit on Avid XpressPro, but all of the Avid products have very similar interfaces and workflows.

You can go to http://avid.com/freedv/tutorials/index.asp and download some simple tutorials about avidFREE Dv, which will apply to simple tasks in Avid Xpress as well.

Your copy of Avid also shipped with "tutorials" on the disc. This is basically footage to use in the tutorials outlined in the manual. (IF you bought a student version, you did not receive hard copies of the manual. Instead they exist as files on your disc as well)

Additionally, there are excellent books on editing with Avid available. My favorite is by James Monohan - "Avid Xpress Pro for Windows and Macintosh", its a Visual Quikpro Guide. I really like the way it is laid out. Again, it will also apply to Avid Xpress as well.

Good luck!
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:28 AM   #3
Major Player

"AVID Made Easy" by Jaime Fowler

I've started reading this book (Sybex, 2006), and I've been pretty happy with its good blend of theory and practical application. It includes Avid FreeDV on CD with sample files to build the projects shown in the book. The only things I don't like is that it doesn't have as many screenshots as I prefer, and it's very much a linear read from Chapter 2 onward. (I guess I just prefer task-based learning.)

The author voice is great for beginners like me though. Unfortunately, because there are only 24 hours in a day, I've had to put my Avid learning on hold so I can get a grip on the Adobe products I'll need for college in the fall. But I do plan to continue learning Avid after doing some projects in Adobe.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family