FYI: Video Demo - Scaling ProHD for SD delivery in Liquid 7 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old July 29th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #16
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
The FAST team has not abandoned the truly powerful Classic clips FX merely because they could. Instead they left them in place and when all else fails the Classic Clip FX work (no if's and's or but's).
Perhaps you missed my point. Modern software design dosn't make an editor choose between CLASSES of FX. Each FX offers ALL options. Over time, as hardware changes, the deep level implementation likely changes to improve performance. This is invisible to the editor.

As the implementation changes and computers become faster over time -- the only thing that changes is the FX frame-rate increases. In theory, at some point, each FX, even with ALL features turned-on, is RT.

In short, choice is not a good thing when one is forced to choose WHICH FX TO USE BASED UPON equally important options.

Avid certainly could write a new set of RT Classic FX. Or, they could write a documentation set that had, for example, Tables that clearly noted which FX does what and when it should be used. (There isn't one Table in the book.) This would be making Liquid's power greater and more accessible.

Doing so would create an Avid product that "could" be more powerful than a Composer, but at $1000. Would they do so?

Let's assume they would. Who would buy it? Liquid was originally designed to rival all NLEs in existence. Despite it's power, it failed in it's mission. Yes, there are some true belivers using it in the world-wide market. Yes, a few folks are cutting films with it.

But, if Adobe gave up fighting FCP -- and Avid has been bruised badly by FCP -- realistically, very few FCP editors are going to switch.

Anyone still using Avid -- having not already moved to FCP -- is likely totally commited to the Composer inteface and will not go to Liquid.

Premiere users could, but IMHO if they leave the Adobe Studio package it will be for Composer or FCP.

Given this -- who is Liquid for? Who will buy it?

Avid claims Liquid is for the "solo artist who doesn't plan to move up to high-end finishing on an Avid."

But, what does such an artist need and want? And, what does Avid intend to give them?
Old July 29th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #17
Trustee

Unfortunately, the content of your last post is beyond the purpose of the thread. My purpose is to instruct on ways to accomplish typical task with ProHD as well as instruct on Liquid. Liquid is a very powerful application that mates perfectly with ProHD, anything beyond that (marketing decisions and political positioning) seems to splinter the subject.

Instead, I'll work on color correctors.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:41 PM   #18
Trustee

Color Correction Orientation Video

Here is a short orientation for CC in Liquid. It mainly shows what's available and the similarities of the available color correctors. It is not deep in detail about anything other than getting to know the interface.

Click here for Color Corrector orientation

Here is a more specific color corrector video that I did a year or two ago that features the CX color corrector and using "selective color".

Click here for selective color corrector introduction

I'll get you guys a proper orientation to all the tools in CX one of these days. I'm just brushing the surface on CC and the Liquid Manual is a great resource which devotes 50 pages to the CX CC.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:10 AM   #19
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Here is a more specific color corrector video that I did a year or two ago that features the CX color corrector and using "selective color".

Click here for selective color corrector introduction
The first clip played fine with FlipMac's WM QT plug-in. The second, only played audio.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
The first clip played fine with FlipMac's WM QT plug-in. The second, only played audio.
That's a shame because the second one was mostly for you. I have no way to re-encode that one. You may have to use a PC to view that one.
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #21
HDV Cinema

Quote:
That's a shame because the second one was mostly for you. I have no way to re-encode that one. You may have to use a PC to view that one.

I'll try on a PC.

I'm not sure FlipMac's Universal plug-in is fully operational because it also failed on some of the Deko Tutorial Video's in the same way.

I'm wondering if any folks have downloaded and tried Liquid.
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Steve:

I downloaded the latest patches and currently using Liquid for two projects... so far it's been working great with the 720/24p hdv footage. I also added some hdv30 sd footage for some slo mo shots.
Nima Taheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #23
Trustee

"How to configure Liquid 7.1 for ProHD capture & dump to tape Tutorial

Another Tutorial that may be helpful to newcomers.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family