exported files on Avid Free DV are WAY too big at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old July 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

exported files on Avid Free DV are WAY too big

what is my problem here? My clip is about 7 minutes long, and the smallest I can get it is 78 mb with divx compression. H.263 compression came out to over 220 mb. mpeg4 compression was over 100 mb.. Please help me
Ryan Leiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You may try around a 300k wmv file. Mine are about 1mg per 30 seconds. So a seven minute clip would be about 14 mg.

Keep in mind the smaller the file, the higher the compression so you just have to find a happy medium with quality versus file size.
Michael Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I found someone's settings on here that seem to work pretty well

I use the Sorensen 3 codec and change the settings to 15 frames per second..and key frame every 15 (not sure what that part means)

and then i select IMA 4:1 mono audio with 1600 bit rate
Ryan Leiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Leiderman
I found someone's settings on here that seem to work pretty well

I use the Sorensen 3 codec and change the settings to 15 frames per second..and key frame every 15 (not sure what that part means)

and then i select IMA 4:1 mono audio with 1600 bit rate
Ryan,

Modern day codecs don't require keyframing that often. I've seen recommendations of 15fps and keyframing set out to about 300. This will help reduce your filesize dramatically.

Keyframing is how often the encoder creates a complete frame in the sequence. The following frames 'key' off this frame for creating the group of pictures or 'gop'. If there's a lot of motion in your video, then bump the keyframe interval up to a smaller number. All frames between keyframes are the encoder's 'best estimate' of how the frame might look. Because these frames are mathematically derived from the prior keyframe, they take up considerably less space than the actual full frame from your video would have. It's basically Keyframe -Interpolated frames -Keyframe - Interpolated frames, and so on.

Hope this helps,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family