Avid disappoints us again! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old July 31st, 2007, 03:31 PM   #46
Inner Circle

David,

Any idea if Marrianne is still with customer support? She was Grade A in my book.

(By the way, I'm a native Houstonian.)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:59 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
It seems to me, with the 'discount upgrade' available from Xpress to MC, that Avid is actually planning on dropping XpressPro, or phasing it out if you will. IF the price point weren't so steep, I'd say it's a great idea. MC beats FCP, even without the adrenaline. But it's price point is too high above XpressPro.

My guess? In three years, there will be "Liquid" for the 'smaller, boutique and event' editors and MC for everybody else. (With various options for hardware enhancement) I think AVID is just trying to squeeze every dollar out they can from XpressPro... and what they'll end up doing is sqeezing editors into other systems.
I think thats the way to go, eventually dropping Xpress and only focus on the MC at a MUCH lower pricepoint where one of the points with Avid become visible, a familiar GUI and all the loyal Xpress users would get all the fancy MC bits. But the question is if Avid will ever drop the price on MC software to a point where it can compete with fcp...
Even more so some Avid people where at my school last semester and ofcourse they showed of MC NOT Xpress...

For my own part i'm a student and do some small work for tv(mostly photography, not edit), and some event editing where speed is of the essence. To capture 1hour, 270 clips and edit it all together with music and light grading via Digitalfilmtools plugins in as little time as I do in Avid is just amazing, and I'm only been using Avid for one year and a big part of "why we avid" already is clear to me.

One thing Avid need to get up to date on is the framrate/format support, and be more at the edge to support new formats and framerates early.

Second they need to get their pricing in check, and third party hardware support wouldn't hurt either, it works with assist station for DS so why not with MC software? Affraid of loosing money on the development of their own hardware?
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #48
Trustee

Quote:
David,

Any idea if Marrianne is still with customer support? She was Grade A in my book.

(By the way, I'm a native Houstonian.)
"All is well….. a little shake up at corporate but change can be good. I am doing well and with a spotlight on the customer experience (about time), I am extremely busy. That’s a good thing.

Hope all is well with you.

Marianna"
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Glad to hear Marianna is still on board. She's AVID's greatest asset when it comes to Customer Service. A real voice for the customer. She's answered my questions directly and with candor on a number of occasions.

I'm still contemplating the virture of upgrading to MC when I get my MacBook... or investing in FCP. I could buy TWO licences for FCP for the cost of the upgrade to MC. (But then again, the MC upgrade includes a full copy of BCC... about the same as a license for FCP!)

Really, it's about which infrastructure I want to support. I have an investment in CANON (Xl2...thinking about XLH-1) - I have an investment in a PC with AVID XpressPro (which DOESN'T support Canon's 24f if I decide to get the XLH-1) and I will have an investment in a MacBook Pro (I like the laptop, and I'm HATING where Vista is going.)

Sigh... as my brother - an engineer - once told me. "That's the great thing about 'standards' - there's always room for one more!"
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #50
Trustee

FWIW, I was told a "don't quote me" that JVC and Canon 24F support will be part of Avid's next major release. But what constitutes a major release, and how the restructuring has changed this is anyones guess.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 09:32 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Thanks for info

This thread has been enlightening. I came on this forum searching for advice on whether I really needed an "AVID Approved" PC to move up to Pro. I've been running Xpress3.5 on a Dell for 5 years, and love/hate it. I love the workflow, but also refer to my suite not so affectionately as "my crash happy Avid". Because it does. A lot. Error messages all the time and if I drop five or six effects in a row without saving? ? Boom! Down it goes. So I'd hoped moving to Pro and a new system would solve my crashing woes. But I didn't want to buy an HP because I can build twice the system for what you'll pay for an HP "Avid approved" rig.

However, I also plan on moving from a Canon XL!s and Sony VX2000, to a JVC camera, and from what I gather here I would not have been happy with that decision with Avid. Unless I move to Media Composer.

So. . . I can spend $3K on an Avid approved system, and $5K on Media Composer. Or go out and buy a new Mac and FCP, and plop down all the money I saved on the the new JVC rig I want.

Decisions decisions. . . .

Thanks for making me an educated consumer, guys.

Jim
Jim Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:28 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Just a note on the "Avid Approved" systems. It seems to get a bum wrap. But if you look at it honestly, Avid is upfront about specific hardware combinations that it specifically tests for. Though plenty of people are running fine on systems NOT ON THE LIST. Me included.

No one else will be that upfront.

Take a look at the thread regarding the "black frame" issues with Vegas. Someone posts a problem they are having, and others are quick to come back with "Not a software problem, it's working fine for me, must be a HARDWARE problem" -this from people who like to claim that Vegas will run flawlessly on 'anything'

Final Cut Pro ONLY operates on APPLE APPROVED systems. Period. Sure, they dont state that in their marketing, but Apple is selling a very specific HARDWARE/SOFTWARE platform that is smaller in choices than Avid offers. Try running FCP on a PC... too bad. You can move your AVID from your PC desktop toyour MAC laptop and the program ships with copies of both.

So yeah, AVID has it's issues, but so does everyone else. No ONE NLE is going to be the perfect solution to EVERY computer/camera combination. They all have a history of being 'first' to support something, and 'last' to adapt at something.

Our mission in these emails, is to explore the options that will work for US.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:00 AM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ross View Post
...running Xpress3.5 on a Dell..."my crash happy Avid"
Jim, your crashes might be a 'feature' of your PC computer. I have a host of complaints about Avid but none have anything to do with crashing - I am running on a dual G5 Mac. I used to be on a PC some 4-5 years ago and it was a crash after a crash. Now, it's truly a smooth sailing in that regard.

I realize that it is a tough switch, especially if you have invested in a high-end system and perhaps more PC-only software but, man, running a Mac made a HUGE difference for me. I never looked back...
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:40 AM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ross View Post
However, I also plan on moving from a Canon XL!s and Sony VX2000, to a JVC camera, and from what I gather here I would not have been happy with that decision with Avid. Unless I move to Media Composer.

Jim
Which JVC camera are you moving to? GY HD 110 and 720p HDV?? Or are you staying in DV with the DV 5100?

So far as crashing goes, my systems on both my desktop and my notebook have been very stable, both Avid Xpress Pro and Avid Liquid. Very rarely do they crash. I have 2 year old Athon 64 running on XP SP2. Remember that Avid like at least 1 gig ram preferably 2 gig and a good graphics card, at least 256Mb Nvidia. Pretty much like any edit system.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:07 PM   #55
Regular Crew

Quote:
It seems to me, with the 'discount upgrade' available from Xpress to MC, that Avid is actually planning on dropping XpressPro, or phasing it out if you will. IF the price point weren't so steep, I'd say it's a great idea. MC beats FCP, even without the adrenaline. But it's price point is too high above XpressPro.

My guess? In three years, there will be "Liquid" for the 'smaller, boutique and event' editors and MC for everybody else.

So did today's news about the plans to return Liquid to Pinnacle surprise anyone?
Stephen Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:08 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Ok, the Hp approved systems are expensive...way more than Dell, but for some reason the two HP computers i run Avid on actually convinced a friend of mine to return his Dell laptop. Why? Bad service(in norway) and constantly problems with hardware and the build quality on his dell laptop. For some reason i think the new Xw8400 system seems more well engineered than Dell 490 or 690, beeing and x-computer guy i know what i like...and HATE.

What Avid do when the test systems is also for example how the pcie/x slots are connected to the system bus, whats sharing bandwith with what. Probaly not important for every user, but it means that you know that hooking up say scsi or sas external storage will not cause problems when for instance capturing. Ofcourse this is more important to the high end nitris og media composer adrenaline user than the small Xpress guy.

So as i see it, it's either the HP systems or Applem wether to Avid or not I see now as a personal issue if you look at the editing part. I'm all Avid at least for a few more years, love how fast you can edit in Avid.

And so far, now crash or "stupid" happend to Xpress on my Xw8400(single 3ghz cpu and 2gb ram, 1,3tb internal HW raid5 for media).
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the responses. I've learned more surfing this group in the last 6 months then just about any other resource.

What camera am I looking at? I've been looking at the JVC GY-HD200. At the very least I'd move to a Panasonic HVX200 what with all the reviews I see in the industry and Indie rags. But even without the JVC issues I have read about in this forum with Avid, I hear there are issues with P2 users with AvidXpress as well. I had a filmmaker buddy use Avid XpressPro for a feature and he said dealing with the P2 cards with Avid was a nightmare. And he was a former FCP user that moved to Avid because of the image factor that Avid gives, of pretty much- "if you're a filmmaker don't use that loser FCP, use what Hollywood uses." He bought into that and regretted it. Now, guess who helped convince him to switch to Avid? Duhhh. You guessed it. Me.

I do a lot of racing and aircraft work so I want the 60p on the JVC200 and the HVX200 that I can't get on the GY-HD110. Fabulous slow motion is high on my needs list. And being able to hook into an SDI and getting true HD is appealing too. Though P2s will allow me greater mobility on the race track, or in the air. I won't be lugging a PC with me in a B17, now will I?

One of the biggest things that has left a bad taste in my mouth with Avid is something as simple as this shutting off your auto updates with Microsoft. So I can't keep my system up to date without my Avid opening up twenty movie clip frames and then locking up my PC? (anyone remember THAT nightmare a few years ago?) And my hesitation with moving to Mac was based on how it used to be that Avid was Mac based, and then it switched. Then it was worse- it wasn't long ago that you had to wait 6 months for the Mac versions after the PC versions were released. Is that not how it was?

I often work with other free-lancers on bigger gigs, but it is hard enough to find Xpress users to team up with on projects. What will it be like if I am using Media Composer? Finding FCP users is as easy as finding fat people in Walmart.

I think I will heed the Apple advice- I need a new system anyway, so why not move to Apple? And if I try FCP and later decide I want Media Composer after all it will run on the Mac, right? Whereas I can't run FCP HD on a PC?

Thanks again for the replies.

Jim
Jim Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:44 PM   #58
Major Player

Jim,

as I mentioned before, I have been on a Mac for 4 years and never looked back. My opinion. As for auto updates, well, you do need to switch those off and ONLY update when Avid authorizes that particular OS/Avid combination. That is the same on Windows and Apple.

The other advantage of the Mac is (as you mentioned) the fact that you can run both FCP and Avid on the same machine (only not at the same time). I do it all the time, running mostly Avid but also sometimes using FCP, especially with material originated from JVC HDV sources.

Now to the camera. IMO, the JVC system had truly GREAT potential but JVC blew it. No need to list all the issues, there were just way too many. Also, as we are moving along, the world is progressing (albeit slowly) to 1080p. JVC's 720 is just too low a resolution for the long run.

The Panasonic P2 system has its flaws too, I for one don't like the camera, its VF and LCD but also the bulky ergonomy. This, of course, is quite personal. The cost of P2 cards is fairly high and there are issues with the workflow.

In my opinion, the best low cost system at the moment is XDCAM HD, and in particular, the upcoming SONY camera XDCAM EX. Take a look here:

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...=1166605171707

It uses the new PCICIA cards that are non-proprietary and will be cheaper than P2. The workflow is virtually identical to the disk-based XDCAM workflow, which works well with Avid (and probably FCP - I just haven't worked with it on FCP yet, perhaps someone else can share their experience). As far as I understand, the camera is supposed to ship this fall, perhaps as soon as in October. I should also mention, that unlike the JVC or Panasonic, it uses 1/2" chips, hence offering better low light sensitivity and shallower DOF.

Oh yeah, a disclaimer is in order: I don't work for Sony (but this camera and system has me quite excited...:-)

Jiri
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM   #59
New Boot

Is this true ????

[QUOTE=Stephen Knapp;732605]So did today's news about the plans to return Liquid to Pinnacle surprise anyone?[/QUOTE

Is this true and if so where can I read it?
Tim Hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:56 PM   #60
New Boot

Posted twice by mistake ... sorry

Last edited by Tim Hodgson; August 23rd, 2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Sorry ... double post
Tim Hodgson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family