'Home Improvement' (TV show) style transitions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old June 10th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

'Home Improvement' (TV show) style transitions

Hi guys,

I have Avid Xpress Studio (Pro, FX, 3D, and PT), and I have been trying to find if there's a way to achieve the type of transitions that are used on the TV show 'Home Improvement' -- you know, where an image will be sliced up into several pieces, say separating a person from the rest of the scene -- stuff like that.

I have been searching all around, and I have heard the term "animatte" being used, but I'm not sure if that's applicable to what I'm talking about here. So, basically, first of all, if there's a common term for such an effect, and more importantly, if it's possible to get this done in Xpress Pro or Avid FX.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Luke
Luke Arndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm no expert on Avid, but you should be able to create transitions like these if you have Photoshop. Basically, you'll need a stack of still images which you bring into your image editor/Photoshop, cut out what shapes you want to keep and make alpha channels out of those. Then, you should be able to import those still images into your video editor and just animate/keyframe them on a separate layer above two adjoining clips. I don't know if Avid does this, but nesting these transitions into their own compositions will make things a little more organized. Then, all you'd have to do is center the transitional clip over two clips butted against each other. Hope this makes sense, and good luck!
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply, Shawn.

Actually, I'm a little embarrassed to say that I'm not totally clear on what you mean. I'm not all too familiar with Photoshop, but I'm just trying to figure out, I guess, how to make a video break into pieces, but allow you to draw where those pieces are (sort of like manually cutting out a jigsaw puzzle), so you can, say, outline the body of a person, then animate that; then outline another portion of the video, animate that -- and so on.

I appreciate the reply! If anybody has ever done this (or seen this done) in AXP or FX, please feel free to let me know. I think it could be a really fun effect.
Luke Arndt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family