Film is Dead. Once Upon A Time In Mexico - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old September 12th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #16
Major Player

Just saw OATIM...wow. Looks like film..heck, it is film!

Anyways the movie....eeehhhhhh......story is still king.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 05:43 PM   #17
Wrangler

So Nick is that a thumbs up or thumbs down? Worth seeing the movie in a theatre or wait for DVD?
Old September 12th, 2003, 07:47 PM   #18
Major Player

Unfortunately, I thought this movie was terrible. But, many critics loved it, including Ebert. So, judge it for youself. I say, see it in the theater just so you can see how the video looks compared to film. Of course, they still transfered the video to film....
Old September 12th, 2003, 08:00 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I agree that the story definitely lacks in places but with was an entertaining and fun movie, pretty much what I was expecting. I recommend going to see it.

Course it probably has nothing on Bubba Ho-Tep which is showing here in Seattle next week.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/bubba_ho-tep/

Cheers,
Huey
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #20
Wrangler

<<<-- just so you can see how the video looks compared to film. Of course, they still transfered the video to film.... -->>>

Yes I am curious to see what Robert Rodriquez did this time around. During the DVD commentary for Spy Kids 2, he lamented that he was dissapointed with the "film" version and wanted people to see the DVD version because it showed what he "really" shot.
Old September 13th, 2003, 09:40 AM   #21
Major Player

I didn't see it but my son told me that during the action scenes there was something going on that made him think 'bad video'. I read on another forum that the second half had a definite video look to it.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2003, 11:10 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Only slightly off-topic, but as long as the topic is "FIlm is dead". -

Go see "Open Range" to see how beautiful film can truly be. It's an old style western, in pacing, theme and cinematography. Long lingering shots on scenic splendour... and color so rich and deep you could feel the breeze coming off the screen.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #23
Regular Crew

hi all -

just saw this film tonight. i was a huge fan of desperado even before i knew rodriquez's story at all. so now that i have the movie making bug, i look at films differently of course... i still love desperado very much and i'm sorry to report that i didn't care much for "once upon a time..."
regarding the digital vs. film thing - most of this movie looked fabulous. he does love the warm color palette for sure. and so do i, so i love that aspect.
but there were plenty of shots that did not look so great. if i hadn't known it was shot on digital, i wouldn't have even thought about it, which does say something. but knowing it was digital, i could definately see when it didn't work. some of the shots where there was extreme motion in the frame (not camera motion, but the subject itself) looked real weird and blurry in a freaky way. but overall, it looked beautiful.

my main complaint with this movie is not the way it looked, however. i thought it was actually a pretty lame film. desperado is way way better, it does a better job of conveying a certain mood and the simplicity of the movie adds to it's impact. the new one is way too convoluted with the story. and the action is numbing by the end. just one cool looking shot of gunfighting after another... i got bored. and sadly, this movie really isn't about the mariachi at all. his story just happens to fit into a larger plot.

but it did look really cool. and maybe that's the point of this series of movies...
Ryan Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 12:42 AM   #24
Wrangler

Hmmm...what do Lucas and Rodriguez appear to have in common? Seemingly, their energies seem to be more focused on the technology they are using to make their movies than on the stories they are telling.
Old September 15th, 2003, 03:29 AM   #25
Wrangler

Not only that, Charles, but their maniac foveation on technology is geared toward economy--rather than masterfulness--of image production. With either of them, the goal seems to be the ability to tell every story by shooting actors in front of blue screens and then comping in busy backgrounds. The method's intent is quite different from the genuine novelty of some of the master techno-visual innovators (e.g., Griffith, Hitchcock, Kubrick) and the results have been, not silk, but chintz.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 09:09 AM   #26
Major Player

The technology is not the problem for OATIM, it's the fact that Rodriguez got so many cool actors that he didn't know what to do with them. He also had a larger budget than usual--which is still MUCH smaller than the average film (30million).

He just tried to do too much.
Old September 16th, 2003, 03:12 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I actually liked the movie. I'll admit the story wasn't the greatest, but it was a fun movie regardless of its lacking in story (as if there hasn't been enough of those lately). I think it was definately worth the ticket price, although it does leave you thinking about what could have been had there been more time and concentration spent on fine-tuning the story.
Darrell Hinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 08:39 PM   #28
Wrangler

Just saw the movie, I really liked it and the story, but there is definitely something off about the movie. Two things that kept bugging me and kicking me out of the story back into my head:

1. I thought the editing was off. The flow of the story was very "jarring". It felt like several important scenes hadn't quite ended yet or resolved themselves before we cut to the next scene/shot. Emotionally it's like they were "just" about to make the point of the scene/shot and then the story changes the subject. It ended up being distracting. I admit I might be a little sensitive to this because, this is a common complaint of mine with a lot of current movies, especially those with a lot of action.

2. I also felt the composition and camera work was amateurish in some areas. I remember thinking at those points "video!" :-) Some of it was stabilization and some of it was framing. The shots felt "technically" correct but were missing that little adjustment that pushes a shot from just simply "correct" to well done. Also with so many mythic characters I thought a little creative composition (related to story and character) would have gone a long way.

I did find it an enjoyable movie, story is a bit thin, like everyone is saying, but fun to watch.
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #29
RED Code Chef

Damn... Now I really want to see this. When I was at IBC this
year here in Amsterdam they installed a D-CINEMA system there
(to my knowledge there isn't anyone yet here in Holland) which
I saw a lot of footage on. Looked quite amazing. Then sunday
they showed Pirates of the Carrabean digital which was very
amazing and without any flaws as well (I just seen the film
version a couple of weeks before).

The thing that bugged me though is that UOATIM came out in
the US 1 day before IBC started. Then they are showing us a
movie digitally projected which originated on film (would have
been better to show us Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo or better
yet: UOATIM!). And now I have to wait till december the 25th
to see UOATIM which was shot digital projected on film.... Argh,
the frustration with some things!

Well, if anybody in Holland is reading this who is going to show
this movie early and/or in digital (as it should be projected),
please don't forget to invite me. Thank you.

rant mode off.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 03:44 PM   #30
Major Player

I think UOATIM is a good film and I guess I'm a little biased loving Mexico and having a Mexican accent and all, but I think the film fullfils its aims: to Entertain. I think R.R's passion to entertain with El Mariachi Treo, Spy Kids Trio (I liked SP 3D), which I think a lot of film critics seem to miss in today's world. A lot of movie critics seem to look for things that are not there, trying to find the "inner" of the films without even looking at the outer. Like Pirates of the Carribean was tipped by critics to be a summer flop, even before it went out to the masses. And the verdict, well every one that watched it in the Cinema walked out with a huge smile and very well entertained faces. Same as with UOATIM.

I never heard anyone complain that UOATIM was digital and not film, I bet they didnt even know, yet a few days before I watched Italian Job and people said it was a bunch of Hollywood crap and had nothing of the magic of the original (Original Italian Job is a national institution here in England). So I think people are starting to realise that digital film doesn't effect the story or entertainment value one bit, or they just dont care as long as they get value and entertainment for their money.

I think that Rodriguez is going down the right path showing that why should time be wasted with film, when you can use digital and get almost instantaneous feedback on the shots and move on. So films can be done cheaper and cheaper films means more can be made. The our Next Generation is going to wonder why or how we ever used archaic methods of Film and its imprefections, as they watching HD movies on their little Palm pilots.

Things can only get better with technology, so the more pioneers like Rodriquez we have the better.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark