Film is Dead. Once Upon A Time In Mexico - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old January 25th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #46
Major Player

I think that list is good. The only film I have not seen is Cold Mountain and I heard it was pretty good, as well.

I loved Master and Commander, but I think Costner (and even Duvall's) character was more rounded and, for lack of a better word, "better" than Crowe's.

But, remember that everyone in Hollywood hates Costner and he has pissed off some of the Academy members in the past right after Dances with Wolves.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 03:05 PM   #47
Major Player

LOL

Costner is the man. Screw the Academy. :)
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #48
Wrangler

<<Costner is the man>>

Well, he certainly thinks so. I wasn't too crazy about him from working with him, but I do like his work. For my money, his best performance was "A Perfect World"--sort of a forgotten film, but a goodie.
Old January 25th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #49
Major Player

Well I have never worked with him, but as an outsider judging on talent (acting/directing) I like what I get.

Perfect World! That was cool! I almost forgot as well.
Old January 25th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #50
Regular Crew

In many ways, Open Range is a conventional western. In the vein of My Darling Clementine, Chisum, or even The Wild Bunch. All of these films have this theme in common: a man's gotta do what a man has to do. Good vs. evil. The cinematography was gorgeous and the gunfight choreography was equally good. But at times the sky looked like a matte backdrop (see opening). There was flaring due to sunlight in some of the frames. This is the loudest gunfight soundtrack since Dead or Alive (the Japanese action film). Brought to you in glorious DTS 6.1. I guess Costner has to compete with the Matrix, Hulk, T3, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen crowd. (Not all of these movies are available in DTS). But six-shooters don't sound this loud or reverberant. In OR, they sound louder than a .357 magnum.

Between the beginning and the end there is not that much action. Four men staging a cattle drive seems to be a small lot, compared to Red River. There were more cattle in The Rare Breed than OR. In fact the big problem that this movie runs into is the legacy of great westerns that came before it: Ride the High Country, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance, Searchers, Dances with Wolves, etc. That's a tough path to hoe. I enjoyed OR and wish they would make more westerns, but it's tough competing with action and sci-fi flicks, where each year they up the ante in special effects. If anyone of you subscribe to Cinefex, you'll know what I'm talking about.
Marc Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 07:19 PM   #51
Major Player

I went to an OLD TOWN once and they put on the Cowboy Show. Those 'smokewagons' were freakin loud.

I read also where they fixed the skies in POST.
Old January 25th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #52
Wrangler

Yup, the skies were fixed in the opening scenes, amongst others. One very good reason for this was that on the budget of the film, there was no waiting around to get the right skies. Digital intermediate is becoming more and more affordable and acceptable for medium budget filmmaking. My fellow (and now-former) Steadicam operator Jimmy Muro was the DP on that show and I'm very happy that he has gotten as much recognition and career boost as he has.
Old January 26th, 2004, 11:15 AM   #53
Inner Circle

I purchased Once Upon a time in Mexico and watched it over the weekend. Basically a homage to Clint Eastwood movies. I enjoyed it.
In spite of what people say, Rodriguez has a gift for high camp like few others. (I pretty sure he doesn't expect his movies to taken seriously, at least by the comments he makes).

I guess the best part is the recipe for slow cooked pork in the ten minute cooking school extra.

Plus he brings you into his personal studio, Pretty frikin cool.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #54
RED Code Chef

I just received my OUATIM DVD and must say I like it very much.
The only "downside" is that it isn't a 2 disc release (with more
and longer exta's) with dts sound. Oh well, you can't have
everything.

I thought the picture looked superb on DVD. As usual with
his DVD releases there are some very interesting extra's on
the disc. I loved the piece where we got to visit his house/
garage which was even more hilarious with his cooking flick.
I've never ever seen that on a DVD before. Some of the pieces
(like the cooking) had me laughing pretty hard and I was
pretty shocked with how one extra ended without spoiling
it for anyone.

10 minute flick school was great again and you eve get two
commentaries (one for the sound with mainly the music score).
Great stuff!

I watched all of the extra's and have seen the first half hour
of the director's commentary track. He actually gives some
insight into how and why which helped to raise the movie a
bit for me.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #55
Major Player

Good stuff, that's the only reason why I bought that DVD--didn't care for the movie, though. Oh, I don't get why everyone says his movies are like a Sergio Leone film? I dont see too many parallels, other than the "El" playing the guitar like the Branson and his harmonica in Once Upon a Time in the West.

If anything, I think OUATIM is more like a Peckinpah film.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark