Avengers! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 9th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Avengers!

Perhaps.

Maybe people expect too much from comic book stories these days? After all superhero stories are meant to be pretty simple clashes between good and evil, especially Marvel comics which were never as dark as some of the DC offerings. Yeah, I know there was some ridiculous stuff in there: flying aircraft carriers are just plain silly. But then the context is green monsters, demigods and aliens. Comics, remember.

I have felt cheated out of my money with a lot of Summer Blockbusters in the last few years, simply because I became bored half way through the movies. When you groan at the thought of having to sit through yet another action sequence with more indecipherable explosions and shouting then you know the filmmaker has lost it (I'm talking Transformers and the like here). Action for the sake of action and spectacle is just boring. With the Avengers I felt that the second half picked up the pace pretty well, and the sense of comic timing was handled well even during the action sequences, so it was still engaging to watch.

The dynamic of the latter action sequence was changed (the Avengers working together, not head butting) so again this was engaging (and made the comedy of the Hulk all the more entertaining as he was still a bit different from the others).

Perhaps the comedy did not translate well for you, as you say its not your native language. All I know is that in the cinema I was in there was a party atmosphere by the end, and everyone left with big smiles on their face and talking excitedly about what they had just witnessed (and that was the big group of business men in suits and ties - the kids had gone nuts).
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #17
Major Player

Being a Marvel comics fan in my childhood days, I really enjoyed the movie. The only caveat is I have to watch it on 3D, the non-3D theatres are sold out. I find the 3D Visuals appealing but had the same issue with Noa, I kept adjusting my glasses. I guess 3D is not for everyone.

I read that after the end credits they revealed the next villain, I should have stayed for that.
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Well i will be going to see it so the box office receipts will rise, but still doesn't mean it's going to be a great movie, everyone who's read the hype will want to view it that's why it's made so much.I like these comic hero movies they are a great escape from reality. So here's hoping.
Andrew Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #19
New Boot

Interesting responses here, to be sure.
I'll say it outright: I loved it. Having watched all the movies building up to it, Marvel really did something new here in combining 4 stand-alone franchises into one amazing film. (Even though Captain America and Thor were basically made just to get to The Avengers). Here's the thing:
It can't be compared to a Bay film. The maturity involved in the characters and their hard time dealing with the others and the mission is way beyond most superhero movies. It also can't be compared to Nolan's Dark Knight franchise, as this not only focuses on one character, but also has something really special in the storytelling, plot lines chosen, and the performances by basically everyone involved. Not to mention it focuses on only one hero.
The thing is, there's NOTHING that compares to the Avengers, because this is a movie making first. To do something similar with Batman, you'd have to add in everyone else for a Justice League movie. (And there's plenty of online debates about that)
The Avengers, however, does have all the components: thrilling action, moments of humor, ability to relate to the characters, eye candy, and a pretty amazing climax after the multiple instances of conflict. They balanced the heroes well, and made a movie that is fun not only for comic fans, but for people who've never owned a comic book.
In that respect, to me, you can't argue that The Avengers is an amazing film :)
Jesse Pepin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark