DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   my "24" plan (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/65509-my-24-plan.html)

Frank Granovski April 20th, 2006 05:08 AM

my "24" plan

I'm recording all the "24" episodes so that once I have them all, I'm can watch them how they were meant to be watched. Staying up for 24 hours should be a blast. :-)

Keith Wakeham April 20th, 2006 06:20 AM

I don't know if you should say that too loud, the mpaa might try and get you and bring up the whole recording stuff with VCR's all over again or their digital counterparts now.

fortunately it won't take you 24 hours to watch it - only (well not really only) 17.2 - 17.6 hours plus snacks and bathroom breaks.

Good luck on the endeavour!

John C. Chu April 20th, 2006 06:57 AM

I finally "discovered" '24' when the Second Season premiered in 2002/2003. I was so stoked and thrilled that I went out and bought Season One on DVD, which I had not seen before.

I watched Season One over a long weekend.

The problem is, after you finish one episode--you just have to see what happens in the next episode. And so instead of watching just one or two episodes...you watch like four in a row. It was sick. I felt ashamed to watch that much tv in two days.

Still, this is my favorite show on TV currently.

You should try to watch a couple seasons back to back Frank.

Wade Spencer April 20th, 2006 07:32 AM

My wife just told me (on Monday night at 10:00pm actually) that we should buy the first seasons on DVD and "24" marathons.

I told her to wake me up when it was over...lol

Keith Loh April 20th, 2006 07:52 AM

Frank, you need to hurry and catch up because this current season tops all of the others.

Have you got to the cougar episode yet?

Bob Zimmerman April 20th, 2006 10:38 AM

This is my first season to watch 24. Man it is good.

Chris Barcellos April 20th, 2006 10:55 AM

I loved Jimmy Kimmels line when he introduced Keifer Sutherland on a guest appearance:

"And here he is, the man who never goes to the bathroom, the star of "24"..............."

James Lundy April 20th, 2006 11:56 AM

Been watching this since season 1 over here in the UK, and have all the DVD box sets. Although, I've never actually watched any of the DVD's since I bought them.

I guess they'll stay in pristine condition until I'm about 60, and will need to watch them again. Crikey, by that time I won't remember what I've had for my breakfast by noon.

John C. Chu April 20th, 2006 01:13 PM

Have you guys looked at the trailers for "The Sentinel"?[Opens Friday]

It stars Michael Douglas and Kiefer Sutherland.

It's weird seeing Kiefer in the second banana role after seeing him as Super Agent Jack Bauer. Kiefer is kind of "typecast" now...

It is kind of weird timing.

It also looks like a retread of Harrison Ford in "The Fugitive" with Kiefer playing the Tommy Lee Jones role and Douglas playing Richard Gimble.

Frank Granovski April 20th, 2006 05:58 PM

Age before beauty, I guess. Sutherland's been in lots of leading movie roles. A Saskachewan boy, you know. :-)

PS: I've seen all the former 24 seasons. Besides Dr. Who, that's what I watch---and Dr. Who had better be here soon! I record that too.

Stephen Jackson April 21st, 2006 12:48 PM

I watched all 3 LOTR DVDs one Sunday Afternoon. I refused to watch 2&3 after the way 1 ended.

I don't know if I can still stay awake long enough to watch all 24 episodes, but it's a good idea for a short movie.

Frank Granovski April 22nd, 2006 05:59 AM

Just keep the coffee on the burner.

J. Stephen McDonald April 29th, 2006 01:50 AM

I'm recording this year's shows and after all the ads, repeat scenes on the intro and the preview are subtracted, there's only about 39 minutes of actual new programming each week. I'm getting 8 shows on each 6-hour tape. The chances are good that no one will ever watch the tapes, but of course, the object is to hoard as many useless tapes as the house can hold. If everyone had used as many videotapes as I, TDK would have been one of the hottest stocks on the market, until we would have completely run out of petroleum.

Keith Loh May 9th, 2006 02:21 AM

Best Season Ever

Frank Granovski May 9th, 2006 06:20 PM

3 episodes to go!

J. Stephen McDonald May 9th, 2006 11:01 PM

Copy the Blasted Thing!

O.K., it looks like they've fumbled the ball again, with that incriminating audio recording. Has anyone else wondered why the deuce they haven't just re-recorded it when they've had it and spread backup copies around?

Frank Granovski May 10th, 2006 04:28 AM

It wasn't in the script?

Keith Loh May 10th, 2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald
O.K., it looks like they've fumbled the ball again, with that incriminating audio recording. Has anyone else wondered why the deuce they haven't just re-recorded it when they've had it and spread backup copies around?

You may as well ask what is this magical digital signaturing was that Chloe was going to put on the audio recording.

Jonathan Jones May 10th, 2006 11:08 AM

warning-some of this is spoiler alert if you haven't seen it yet.

I understand that Sutherland has signed on for 3 more seasons, which gives me conflicted feelings. I love the series and am excited that it will continue on for a while... (It is only 1 of 2 shows I watch regularly - There is so much crap and misery on television that I don't even watch the news anymore, so 24 gives me a nice condensed dose of anguish, turmoil, and misery in less than 1 hour and I can get on with my week)....but I am mystified at the producers ability to keep up the momentum of such an intense show - and I hope that at the end of the run, fans are not 24'd out, making the series go out with a whimper.

This has been among the best of the seasons IMO (partly due to impressive acting among the presidential staff) and maybe even slightly more realistic scenarios than a couple of the previous seasons. However, once you get past the implausibility that every address within the greater LA area is within an 8 minute drive of CTU, (Let's not forget that LA traffic is a 24/7 phenomena) it's always fun to enjoy the ride towards the cliffhanger of each episode.

The one gripe I have about this season is that there just seems like too many threads of bad guys....while I understand it serves as a vehicle to keep the momentum going as they slowly reveal the chain of command, it makes it very difficult to wrap my mind around the fact this one 24-hour period reaches all the way back to the beginning of the season, when I can vaguely remember the scenes involving Jack's floater job, Cloe's rescue, the assassin capture, the airport scene, the Russian treaty, or even that Sean Astin has both taken and lost command of CTU all within the last 'day'. Some of this feels like it was a previous seaon by this time.

Perhaps it is because I am watching it week-by-week as opposed to all at once. I remember that I missed the first 2 weeks of season 3, so I just avoided that whole season, and waited a year to watch it on rented DVD's, which resulted in watching the whole season in 5 nights....at least that felt like a much more realistic pace.

As a side note: My wife stopped watching 24 after season 2 because she couldn't deal with the anxiety, and hasn't seen it since...I respect that, however, the local company she works for has had an interesting (but subtle) product placement in the show over the last 2 episodes, so she has been watching it again because the way the scenes have been formulated, it makes it appear that the product may provide an interesting although subliminal impact on the scene - so she is once again watching 24, sitting on pins and needles. Just a few episodes left before it all plays out.
-Jon

Rob Lohman May 10th, 2006 11:41 AM

I like the current season but I agree that the whole recording thing is getting
absurd. They could've easily played it back over a phone and recorded it on
the other end like 10 times already. They always have these tools to transfer
whatever they request to the other side instantly. This just feels like dragging
the story out to fill the 24 episodes....

Michael Carter May 10th, 2006 02:53 PM

Have you heard about the doco. that the Keifer's in?? Follows his favorite indie band as he helps them out and acts as their tour manager.

Yeah, I know ya think I'm joking, here's the scoop:

http://tinyurl.com/g9q9u

Or just google the phrase "I trust you to kill me"

Mike Wham May 10th, 2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Wakeham
I don't know if you should say that too loud, the mpaa might try and get you and bring up the whole recording stuff with VCR's all over again or their digital counterparts now.

I seriously doubt that the crooks^H^H^H^H fine folks at the MPAA would be successful at suing somebody for recording a TV show that is licensed in their area for later personal use. I believe that falls sqarely in the area of fair use.

Keith Loh May 15th, 2006 09:52 AM

Apparently the bad fictional President tonight is being preempted 20 minutes so that the real President can make some stupid speech.

Bob Zimmerman May 15th, 2006 05:25 PM

It won't be over till then? Bush can't even talk that long. Sounds like a media feeding frenzy after the speech.....

I hope your wrong

Keith Loh May 15th, 2006 05:55 PM

From Fox's 24 website:

Quote:

WARNING!
Because of the President's speech on Monday, May 15th the start times for 24 in certain time zones will be affected.
Take note for your taping schedules. 24 will be shown in its entirety:

Eastern - Approx. 9:20pm
Central - Approx. 8:20pm
Mountain - 8:00pm
Pacific - 9:00pm
So us westerners can successfully miss the very important Bush episode and continue setting our PVRs for Jack Bauer.

And everything was good.

Frank Granovski May 15th, 2006 07:04 PM

Thanks, Keith.

There are only 2 episides left!

J. Stephen McDonald May 15th, 2006 07:41 PM

Thanks for helping us avert a possible disaster. I'll have to punch in the following hour on the DVR, just to be safe.

Rob Lohman May 17th, 2006 01:20 PM

Go Martha... go Martha ;)

p.s. you'll only understand that if you saw the latest episode

Yoochul Chong May 17th, 2006 01:45 PM

24 is now on iTunes

Frank Granovski May 17th, 2006 07:58 PM

Martha's drug withdrawal happened in like, half an hour? Now she's clean?

Nate Schmidt May 17th, 2006 09:14 PM

What I heard is that Kiefer signed on as producer, but maybe not as Jack. that could be interesting 3 more seasons but maybe not with Jack. This is the first seasom that I have watched on T.V. and waiting a week is killing me, that and the fact that they killed T-dogg.

Keith Loh May 17th, 2006 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
Go Martha... go Martha ;)

I wish somehow in the 24verse Martha could kill the President, making her the Queen of America and then once she marries Aaron, that would make Aaron the King.

Frank Granovski May 18th, 2006 02:21 AM

It only took Martha 10 seconds to beat her drug habit. What was she taking anyway? I can't recall. Okay, another Holsten down the hatch. :-)

Keith Loh May 18th, 2006 10:12 AM

Frank, Martha has obviously had experience getting on and off the wagon. So she probably has a built-in mutant ability to go blotto or not.

J. Stephen McDonald May 18th, 2006 05:23 PM

It was great the way Martha rose to the occasion and took out that humanoid rottweiler. I wonder what her public-approval rating would be, compared to that of her husband, if their characters were the ones in the real-life positions?

Nate Schmidt May 22nd, 2006 08:35 PM

Anyone catch that finale wow-man!

Gary McClurg May 22nd, 2006 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Loh
I wish somehow in the 24verse Martha could kill the President, making her the Queen of America and then once she marries Aaron, that would make Aaron the King.

I was thinking only about the idea of Martha and Aaron getting together... seems I'm not the only one... but I wasn't thinking about the queen of America...

The idea of Keifer only being a producer... it could be... but I think that if they do kill Jack off... it won't be in the first show... maybe in the movie... that's being talked about... the creators are working on that... plus they have a stroy line...

The thing I find funny... is that I've always liked Keifer Sutherland as an actor... thought he was perfect for a film I wrote years... a friend told me... no way... he makes a better bad guy... well maybe we're both right... Jack is a hero... but he has sort of that bad streak in him... but the good always wins out...

Keith Loh May 22nd, 2006 11:50 PM

That was quite the denoument and guarantees everyone comes back for next season. I can't wait. Jack takes on an entire country!

Frank Granovski May 23rd, 2006 01:15 AM

Yeah..., a country with 1.2 billion kung fu masters. ;-)

Keith Loh May 23rd, 2006 08:25 AM

I know for economic reasons it's not possible for the whole of S6 to be set in China but I hope we get at least one or two episodes where it's just Jack breaking out, taking on wave after wave of martial artists. It would be such a lame incredible tease if he gets busted out or exchanged at the beginning of the season.