DaVinci Resolve Lite (can I use it?) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old March 28th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: DaVinci Resolve Lite (can I use it?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
When you are using Colorista, my understanding is that as a plugin, nothing is done to the raw original file. You have to render a new file to have a permanent changed file.

In Davinci, I think it is the same. You have to actually render out a new file. Is that what everyone is saying ??? Have I got that right ?
I'm not sure. I know that coloring Cineform RAW files in FirstLight does not require a render. It is simply a manipulation of metadata. You can color the files while they are open in Premiere and the color will change immediately. And if you want to change it later you just change it in FirstLight or Cineform Studio. It is literally non-destructive. Anything that requires a render would be destructive.
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I am admittedly totally new to DaVinci Resolve. I am thus far not sure it provide any better processes than CS5 or Vegas I have. The one thing that I've seen but haven yet used, is selective color correction, but these are things that can be done in things like Colorista, etc. So far, from what I can see, the intructions at the end to save you current work to a final file. Of course, that doesnt' do anything to your original files, as they remain pristine, but from what I can see so far, it doesn't work like Cineform's Firstlight/Studio process where you are actually changing instruction in the original file as to how the computer will render it to the screen for viewing. I went through the concept of Resolve in the manual (Chapter 1, I think) and it seemed to indicate that process is to open the file, make the changes, edit clips etc., and then render out for work in other editors.
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #18
Major Player

Here's a terribly silly question
my photoshop has an Import> Blackmagic image importer
However, even when my cam is hooked up - it wont recognize. (no BMDevice installed)
so I think it must refer to a BM card

I would love to be able to grade the way you to a Raw Dng in Pshp
and have it apply to the entire clip
Ugh
J
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hey Chris,

I've only poked around Davinci a bit and never really used it on a project, but since colorista is a plug-in that works inside your NLE, you are exactly right that it is non-destructive to the original media. When you render/export your project, the original media is not changed. The same way that cutting your media inside premiere doesn't change the length of the original media... same deal.
John Carroll is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera