Where are you getting your extra batteries? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old October 15th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Where are you getting your extra batteries?

I've seen some packages on Amazon and ebay. The Nikon batteries are about 40 USD here in Japan but there are Chinese brands that are 2 packs with charger for much less, around 20 USD.

When browsing for batteries on the cheap, it was important for me to see know if there was protection in the batteries against heat/current/overcharge etc and they all claim to have it. Still, I'm wondering what others are doing?

I got my Pocket Cam Saturday and today is Tuesday...and I JUST opened the box. Have 1 cheap lens, going to get a cheap adapter to use my EF lenses with (Until metabones gets their speedbooster for EF lenses out). I'm waiting for my SD card to show up in the mail (Cards I have aren't fast enough...)
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Where are you getting your extra batteries?

I have always liked Wasabi batteries. However, I was trying to get all my extras into a single order from B&H, and ended up getting their $10 generics. They should be here Friday, but I suspect they will do just as well as any other battery in this camera (which is not very good).

I think the better solution is to use an external 12v battery pack. A 10,000 mAh battery should last at least 8 hours, and if you have multiple external packs, they can be swapped out easily, since the internal battery will keep the camera powered up. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think this is how the camera was intended to be used...
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Major Player

What external 12v battery pack would you recommend?
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm going to try an Anker Astro 3 pack, because my wife has one that I can borrow while she is not looking :) It is supposedly 10,000 mAh, has 5v and switchable 9v / 12v outputs, and can power multiple devices at the same time (so I should be able to power my Tascam DR-100 at the same time as my camera). It's also only $55... If it's not big enough, I will look into other solutions - there are a lot of them out there it seems.

The downside, of course, is that it is a consumer device, and thus has no mounting options. I think I can work around that though...
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Regarding batteries for the Pocket, I ran some tests.
BMD included battery I was able to run the camera for about 58 minutes straight. 800mAh
Nikon battery 77 minutes.1020mAh
Power2000 35 minutes 1200mAh
Flashpoint 35 minutes 1200mAh

I returned the latter two which was actually 5 total batteries. I also found one of the Power2000 batteries to be slightly off size and stick coming out of the BMPCC battery compartment.

This doesn't mean that you can't find cheap good batteries but apparently the QC is very uneven so purchases of the same off brand may not yet the same results. These batteries where purchased in store from Adorama so there's no online hanky-panky with counterfeits (many major electronics and photo places sell the Power2000)

BMD told me that when they can't use their batteries they use Nikon when showing the camera.
I later was told by their distributor that Nikon is actually making the BMD battery.

The cost of an issue during a shoot far exceeds the savings on cheap batteries. I'm going to stick with BMD for "budget" batteries and Nikon for best results.

Switronix has a nice inexpensive compact solution that mounts under the camera.
Switronix Releases the PocketBase
and
http://www.switronix.com/products?pa...category_id=53

I've heard Bescor will be coming out with something along the same lines.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Sony L batteries on an adapter. I saw it posted elsewhere, someone took a cable and spliced it to the Ikan L battery adapter. Lots of cheap, large capacity L batteries floating around.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera