To matte box or not to matte box with BMPCC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old April 12th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

To matte box or not to matte box with BMPCC?

Hi all.

I've finally ordered a Speedbooster and Samyang 8mm for my BMPCC, and plan to add the Sigma 18-32 and some extra primes in the next few months.

So far to date I've been using a Variable ND on the Panny 12-35 and got decent results, but now that I'm adding lenses of a variety of sizes, and the 8mm which can't have a screw in filter, I'm thinking of adding a matte box to use NDs, rather than buying step up rings and bigger variable NDs - you can get a decent set of IRNDs for the same price as a good vari ND!

The issue is I've never used a matte box before. Before the BMPCC, I've always used cameras with built in NDs. I've read as much as I can find on them and still aren't totally sure.

Will a matte box and a set of IRNDs sort this out for me?

Is there a need to have two filter holders? I like to future proof, guessing I might want to stack a polarising filter and IRND later?

Other than the physical size difference, why would I choose a 4x5.65" over a 4x4"?

Is a matte box the only solution to achieve what I'm trying to achieve?

Thanks for helping a matte box n00b! :)
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #2
DVi Contributor

Re: To matte box or not to matte box with BMPCC?

A good matte box is always a good investment. The Vocus system 225 I think ? is a cleaver 4x4 box. It has one stage that clamps a filter in front of the box and one rotating stage in the back. You can have step up threaded rings and clamp it on or add a rails adapter.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera