Warner just went Blu-ray exclusive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 4th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Warner just went Blu-ray exclusive

War's over folks.

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

Quote:
In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers."

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008.
Ouch. Well i'm glad my investment in HD DVD is under $1000. I'll still get use out of it but I'm going to miss the competition that netted a lot of great movie deals.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Bodyblow! wonder what the HD DVD response will be.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lammey View Post
Bodyblow! wonder what the HD DVD response will be.
No doubt. That's a rib cracker. I can't see anything at CES that's going to offset this blow. I dont think they should have "hooked with a hooker" meaning the Paramount deal wasn't likely the right thing to do. The BDA knew they'd have to get Warner after that.

Someone's going to write a book about this battle someday.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #4
Trustee

I’m in the Azores right now and one of my cousins asked me if I want to use their computer to go on the net and I’m glad I didn’t have to ask her. Now I don’t have to worry about missing all the latest electronics news while I’m over here.

Ever since I found out that the PS3 will use a Blu-Ray drive and the known impact of AVCHD camcorders, I knew HD-DVD would never stand a chance to survive but there is a little rumor that started right before the unveiling of the X-Box 360 Elite that there would be a built in HD-DVD drive and although it didn’t happen, that rumor is running rampant again, so could we actually see Microsoft and Toshiba unveiling such a player at CES? There is also a rumor that Apple will indeed offer a Blu-Ray burner as a built to order option which puts one extra nail inside HD DVD’s coffin but the prospect of Microsoft releasing a new 360 would be an eye opener.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers.
Right, "most importantly, consumers". Let us not forget that Blu-Ray has more aggressive copy-protection scheme, that Sony is known for its spyware that monitors computer activity and prevents certain operations with DVDs, and that Blu-Ray uses the same stone-age region system that HD-DVD does not have. Surely, this is not about profits, this is just for ultimate benefit of consumers.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I don't think there will be a winner, despite the battles.

The longer this goes on, the more I think that it will be a luxury item
to own an HD player, rather than a replacement for standard DVD's.
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #7
Trustee

Oh, there will be a winner, but how long will that winner be used and how much market penetration will it have as compared to the old fashioned DVD is still debatable. Don't forget the Netflix/LG set top box rumor that started this week. (was that a rumor or fact?)

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Major Player

argh!

was rooting for hd dvd as I am not too fond of the idea of having sony control the entire home theatre-movie foodchain.

I do agree that with this announcement, the war is over.
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Blu-Ray did it with Warner Bros., as we all figured. Though we're still a couple of years out, movies over IP and downloads (make 'em like DVDs with special features, please?) is the future.

I'm going to CES Sunday and I'm meeting with a lot of companies that are pushing downloads and streaming. Big and small companies, btw.

Great news for my best friend and his Blu-Ray collection!

heath
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

Slightly older Hollywood Reporter story:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...906b3ecd?imw=Y

Deadline Hollywood Daily is saying HD DVD offered WB $250 million to go exclusively with them.

heath
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Now the only question is whether BD will win, or if the market will move to combo players. The studio situation is 70/30 BD. But consumers want to play ALL of the movies.

If a major HD DVD studio defects, the rest will probably follow. If universal player prices drop before such a defection, that will be the path.

One thing for sure. HD DVD will not win outright.
Old January 4th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

I wouldn't be surprised if Universal goes BD/HD DVD, then BD. Just to test the waters before going 100% BD.

Heath
Old January 5th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

HD DVD cancels Sunday night CES big-time show:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...going-blu-ray/

That's bad bad bad for HD DVD. Blu-Ray just won.

"We are currently discussing the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluating next steps. We believe the consumer continues to benefit from HD DVD's commitment to quality and affordability -- a bar that is critical for the mainstream success of any format. We’ll continue to keep you updated on new developments around HD DVD.""

Heath
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #14
Inner Circle

One can guess that the HD DVD camp was negotiating with Warner up to the last minute. Calling off the bash might be embarrassing, but you can't blame them. They need to figure out their next move before they talk to the press.
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #15
Regular Crew

New York Times declares, "The high-definition DVD war is almost over."

Warner backs Blu-Ray, tilting DVD battle

Michael Jouraviev's tongue-in-cheek sarcasm in his post above ("This is just for ultimate benefit of consumers") slays me. DRM 1, consumers 0.
Mike Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring