Blu-ray options for Mac - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 27th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Collins View Post
As for DVDSP and Blu-ray, my charitable guess is that the format needs some work and they don't want to put out a buggy program like Encore. My less charitable guess is that there's not a huge demand (read: money) for it now. Also, I'm not aware of their offering a prominent software feature that requires a third party device.
I was just going to post that, lol.
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #17
Inner Circle

C'mon now, it's becoming obvious that Apple doesn't want to support Blu-ray because they'd rather emphasize online distribution options where they can potentially make more money. Back when standard DVD burners first became available Apple was one of the first to support them before many consumers had DVD players; today there are roughly 2-3 million US households with Blu-ray equipment and still no hint from Apple about supporting this technology. Shame on Steve Jobs for putting greed ahead of customer service, but I guess times have changed in Cupertino...
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Kevin, maybe I'm just out of the loop but I haven't really gotten the feeling that Apple doesn't want to support Blu-Ray. Apple has generally taken the path of putting out software that was not buggy and that delivered what the customer needed. I don't know that the world of Blu-Ray has progressed to where they are comfortable with releasing something yet. I mean, it was only a short time ago that BR finally beat out HD-DVD for good. The simple fact that people are having trouble getting BR DVD's to play on some BR players is evidence to me that the implementation of the format is not stable yet.

Again, I could be completely wrong, but I think it's quite short-sighted of you to just assume that Steve Jobs and Apple are greedy and don't want to give BR support. It seems to me that BR is going to do whatever it's going to do whether or not Apple gives it any attention. So really, it would be the opposite of greed for Apple to not support BR, because if they don't they will eventually lose their video production customer base.

One last thing. Just because Apple hasn't officially announced that they are working on BR support doesn't mean they aren't. Many companies don't release that kind of information until they feel the time is right. Maybe Apple just doesn't feel the time is right yet.
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #19
Major Player

Hopefully. All I know is that *somebody* is going to step up and support this thing. Will someone wake me up when we have a winner?
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Okay, maybe I being a little hard on Apple about this - but it's been almost two years since Blu-ray players started shipping and still no hint of even rudimentary Blu-ray support. There was a time when Apple would have been first to market with a Blu-ray burner plus corresponding software, and that clearly isn't the case here. Their emphasis appears to have shifted to activities where they can collect ongoing fees, which is fine for them as a company but hardly exemplary as a computer technology leader. And this oversight is driving Final Cut users to buy competing software products just to make Blu-ray discs, which is not a good trend for Apple. Calling this the result of greed may have been too harsh, but it's at least weak management.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring