EX3 - New Edit Suite? Blu-Ray? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #16
Major Player

Offering Blu-ray dvd to my clients has brought in a pile of business in the last year. I offer it as a matter of course. In fact if they don't ask for it I tell them they are getting it anyway, so that their movie is "future proof". This alone brings in business (weddings) because although they hadn't thought of it, once they have spoken to my opposition, who can't/wont offer it, they often come back to me on the hunch that in the future they will get a Playstation 3 or BD player.

Being a FCP user its a pain in the ass but last year offering blu-ray brought in at least 10 weddings I might not have got, and I won two weddings at a fair on Sunday by selling them Blu-ray weddings.

I edit in HD, make the SD dvd in DVDSP, and make a HD version by copying it across my network to my PC and make the blu ray in Encore CS3, and out via the LG BD burner.

I keep the menues fairly simple, with chapters and motion graphics. Not as good as DVDSP but good enough. Results are great, though I had a major problem and lots of very expensive coasters last year with the Verbatim printable Blu-ray disks.

I totally agree with Craig Terott. I have ranted about this to myself, my wife, the cat and anyone in ear range who would have a clue what I am talking about. Apple are dragging their feet on purpose. If lesser rivals can produce a fully working Blu-ray authoring package, shame on Apple for not coming to the table for the people that need it now.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
Those who have seen Blu-ray in action on a descent HDTV are not going away and are they surely are not going to purchase anymore SD-DVD's. The wonders of technology!?
Exactly, once you have a product to show, you can create demand for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
In Apple's defence: There is simply no substantial reason to offer Blu-Ray encoding/muxing in DVDSP.... yet.
I hear this all the time "most people don't even have one yet." Yeah, because the players don't create demand for themselves. HD content/media creates demand for the players. i.e., The "Smith's" just got married and now have a copy of their wedding on BluRay. Now they want to see their wedding in HD. The Smiths then go out and buy a BluRay player.

As a business owner, I know that Apple's lack of BluRay support is costing me money.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:41 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott View Post
Exactly, once you have a product to show, you can create demand for it.

I hear this all the time "most people don't even have one yet." Yeah, because the players don't create demand for themselves. HD content/media creates demand for the players. i.e., The "Smith's" just got married and now have a copy of their wedding on BluRay. Now they want to see their wedding in HD. The Smiths then go out and buy a BluRay player.

As a business owner, I know that Apple's lack of BluRay support is costing me money.
couldn't agree more...well said Craig.
Shawn Dooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:08 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I agree with Shawn and Craig. I have had customers switch from DVD to BluRay with one viewing. Buying the player and HDTV is not big deal for their businesses once they see the quality difference.
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Speaking of Blu-Ray...has anyone found a place on-line for Bulk Blank Blu-Ray Media?
Shawn Dooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
What I mean by unstable is that if there is the slightest error in your menu's, such as a layer in the wrong place or a wrong button code then Encore will continue on to the burning session and only then throw up the a useless error code when it tries to burn that menu stream, at which point it quits.
I don't have a Blu-Ray burner but a friend has. And he burns them in Encore CS3 and CS4 all the time. There is some tab that he selects before burning that will tell him if he has any errors in tabs or menus, etc. before he starts burning discs. Once he corrects the errors that it detects, he has no problems like you are talking about. I only get to watch over his shoulder so I can't give you the specifics. But the last program he burned for me had 2 errors that he had to fix. Then it burned flawlessly. And worked perfectly.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #22
Major Player

Hi Greg, yes it is in the "Build " tab and is called "Check Project". That function does a cursory check to make sure that there are no stray or missing links. I'm talking about errors in custom built menus that are only picked up during the "building streams" phase or that are only flagged during the last phases of "building disc" and "writing disc".

Yes you will have little or not troubles with projects that do not stray with Encore's default menus and buttons. As with most things, a little perseverance and attention to the smallest details get the creative job done with good results.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #23
Major Player

Buy 1 rewritable disk for complex project testing. Use Encore CS3 or 4 and buy Edius - done - (say goodbye to mxfing all day)

Also add Virtualdub to your system (free) and TSMuxer (free) and you can convert yourself into as many formats as you'll ever need.

Paul
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #24
Trustee

Another option for burning blu-ray discs is Roxio Toast 10 ($99). It works well, is fast and easy. You can even burn to cheap DVD-R's with the caveat of being limited to 20-30 minutes of HD video due to the small capacity of a DVD-R.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...oast-10-a.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring