Authoring Blu Ray Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Authoring Blu Ray Help

Hello.

I am having trouble authoring Blu Ray discs that will play in my Samsung Blu Ray player. My work flow is Edit in Adobe Premiere CS3 export as a MPEG 2 Blu Ray or H.264 ( I've tried both) Then I create the disc in Adobe Encore. I have checked the project and there are no errors.

The disc plays on a Playstation 3 and my pc using the Cyberlink player that came with the Blu Ray Burner ( LiteOn ) . However, it will not play on my Samsung HT-BD2E blu ray player.

I just upgraded the firmware on the Samsung and still no luck.

The manual says it will not play BD-R which is the media I am using. Is there a differnet type of blu ray I can use ?

We are just making the transition to HD for our wedding video's and I am afraid of outputing a Blu ray that my clients won't be able to play. DVD seemed so much simpler.

I can still return the Samsung & try a different player. However i am trying to find the correct combination that will work for all players. So I can be confident when I deliver my clients there wedding video on Blu Ray that it will play on their player.

Thanks in Advance,
Eric Kovacs
Eric Kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kovacs View Post
The manual says it will not play BD-R which is the media I am using.
Well, I think you have your answer. Unfortunately, the people who make these units are convinced we are all criminals by default so the ability to play these discs is getting less likely with newer models. There have been reports (possibly apocryphal) that firmware updates have removed this ability from some players.

Best bet is to red the manuals really thoroughly before purchase -- most are available online. And then, no matter how tempting it might be, don't update the firmware once you find one that works.

Of course, you have no control over what your clients do. I always ask what type of BD player (Brand and Model) they have and then download the manual and read it thoroughly before I even promise them a BD copy.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. That's a good idea.
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

If you read the specifications almost all the newer players support BD-R and BD-RE.

None of the PS3 software upgrades have removed the ability to play BD-R.

It is a good idea to test in the player that will be used.

No one should buy a player that does not support BD-r
David Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Moody View Post
None of the PS3 software upgrades have removed the ability to play BD-R.
Yes, those were the hysterical rumors we heard a lot about a year ago. Glad to know they weren't true.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Trustee

Can you update the firmware on the Samsung? Might solve the problem. It has for some of the Sony players.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Problem Solved

I returned the Samsung ( after updating the firmware with no change) and purchased one that indicated in the specs that it does play BD-R. Works great.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:05 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I have found MPEG 2 seems to work well when creating blu ray... I don't use the MPEG 2 blu ray setting...

What I do is burn to a re-writable blu ray disk, then test that one out prior to burning on
a non re-writable disk...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring