Work flow to blue ray at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #1
New Boot

Work flow to blue ray

Hi all, Im using fcs2 on a g5, i film with the Sony HVR-V1E, still on tape, but hopefully will be buying a firestore hard drive. I have just landed a nice filming job. I have to film and edit a dvd. All my filming work will be outdoors. There is talk about blue ray aswell as sd for a dvd product at the end of the year.

I always film in high def , and capture in prores. Is the best way for the picture ? and blue ray . Most of my work so far has been hdv on the web . \

Many thanks
Lee D. Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Not trying to be a punk here but maybe you could re-phrase the question because it certainly is not clear...
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #3
New Boot

Sorry about that, trying to to many things at once.

I have a project to do this year, Which will end up on a dvd at the end of the year. There is talk about producing a BlueRay dvd aswell as a standard format dvd.
I'm going to be filming it with a Sony HVR-V1E, and using FCS 2 for editing etc.
The plan is to film all my footage in Highdef.

Which would be the best capture setting ?

I have been using the ProRes capture setting for my past projects. But would this be the best to produce to a BlueRay dvd ?

I dont want to lose any quality in picture. But still dont want to have to export it and re import it.
Lee D. Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, Pro Res is fine for blu-ray.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Major Player

For blu-ray- it's eventually going to end up as H.264 on the disc so digitizing and editing in ProRes and then exporting/converting to H.264 is pretty much the de facto standard for FCP at this point.

The other way to go about things is to digitize as HDV and just set your sequence settings to render as ProRes. This way only your renders are Pro-Res and your raw video remains untouched as HDV saving you boatloads of drive space. This is what I do and it's just as good as digitizing everything as ProRes.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #6
New Boot

Cool , so just keep going the way i am at the moment. ProRes .

Thanks very much .
Lee D. Turner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring