By the light of the moon - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 10th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: By the light of the moon

nigel, what lens did you use for that Moon shot?
Colin McAuliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #17
Regular Crew

The lens was a Canon EF 300 mm L 2.8II and the second shot used a 2 x extender on it.
Nigel Akam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Barry,

I finally was able to view your moonlight footage at a library yesterday and I must say I'm very impressed as was my wife. I see great potential in this camera for wildlife filmmaking especially in low light situations. It will open up a whole new world for me in filming by the natural light of the moon. I know night vision lenses have been used, however, this looks better. I'm looking forward in seeing this camera at dealers in Canada. Thanks for sharing.

Leon Lorenz
Canadian Wildlife Productions: Grizzly Bears, Bighorm Sheep in Alberta & BC Rockies DVD Videos
Leon Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #19
Trustee

C300 MoonLit clips denoised

At the suggestion of several people on Vimeo, I ran a few moonlit clips through a de-noiser (Neat Video). I'd consider these a moderately aggressive denoise pass...I've left a little noise and then sharpened it slightly.

Consider me floored. The ISO 20k clip in the middle is a little smeary...but honestly. I think it's impressive what the C300 maintains in terms of Detail and DR at 10-20k iso. Download the original file to bypass Vimeo's own denoising.

Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #20
Inner Circle

That's significant.

Yeah, the NR on that pass was a bit heavy-handed. Also, I'm sure it would look more consistent with more consistent focus. The NR did well when in or out of focus, but had difficulty at the transition. Had this been a serious, "okay everybody, we need to nail focus" many-takes shot with slightly less aggressive noise reduction, the audience would be lost in the scene without ever noticing any noise or artifacts. And that's the whole goal.

I remain impressed!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems