Canon EOS C100 - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old November 25th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #301
Inner Circle

Re: Canon EOS C100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Lipetz View Post
I find myself shooting primarily without a rig, holding the camera in two hands with my elbows against my body and using the EVF, not the LCD, to create three point stability.
The trick that I have used with the 5D & with a stripped down C300 is to use the LCD but brace the camera by extending the neck strap. You can see James Longley doing the same thing at times in this BTS on shooting documentary with a C300 in Afghanistan.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #302
Major Player

Taking a C100 into battle over the next few days shooting build up and red carpet at the Premiere of The Hobbit here in New Zealand.

My 5D3 is coming along as backup, but my dealer has so kindly give me the camera to demo and put through its paces..
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #303
Major Player

Have confirmed with other C100 owners that there is a software bug that changes recording to B&W when you set LCD/EVF to B&W. It will important to check for other software bugs before using our team's cameras in production. Please post here if you find them.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #304
Inner Circle

Shame about that. I just hope Canon don't take too long getting a revised firmware out that fixes this bug.

This new video gives a quick overview of the image differences between the 5DMkIII and C100. I already know which one I'm glad I bought.

Old November 26th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #305
Major Player

Personally, I don't see enough difference in these shots to warrant the C100 for me. I need to consider if I was already going to get a 6D would that extra $4400 be warranted?
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #306
Major Player

I saw a big difference in sharpness between the two. Didnt see any moire in the brick (for either camera)
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #307
Inner Circle

I was just this morning looking over my wife's shoulder as she was wedding we shot with a 5D3 on the bride's side & a C300 on the groom's side. The biggest difference even aside from the sharpness is the dynamic range. With the C300 footage there is detail in the highlights & shadows that is missing from the 5D3 & she had to really 'dumb down' the C300 clips to get the images even remotely matching.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #308
Major Player

One of our team member just received a shipping notice on a Blackmagic Cinema camera, yes a miracle. But the graded C100 is so good that it makes wonder if I should tell her to just use the C100 plus external for work on sets. Any opinions now that we finally have very very encouraging C100 samples. BTW most of these samples are shot at 320 ISO which reduces DR compared to the base ISO of 850, it is in the manual.
Old November 26th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #309
Major Player

Egg on my face. After numerous people confirmed the B&W bug, it turns out that it was operator error not a software bug. Unlike some cameras I previously owned, changing the LCD/EVF to B&W while in camera also alters the display in media mode. So the clips were always in color. Have to get used to the camera.
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #310
Inner Circle

Don't worry about it Philip - it is after all good news that its not a firmware bug.

Up early awaiting a C100 delivery :-) What do you guys think of this?

Old November 27th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #311
Major Player

I like this test!

Looking at original file downloaded from Vimeo - looks pretty good. Love the look of those bricks :)

Would love to see something shot with a flatter profile and really see what the DR can do but thanks so much to anyone that is posting this stuff.

Also, is it just me or is anyone else not really seeing much of a difference between the AVCHD and the ProRes?
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #312
Inner Circle

"Also, is it just me or is anyone else not really seeing much of a difference between the AVCHD and the ProRes?"

Exactly! That's what impressed me so much in this latest test video.

I'm sure if you started grading the original clips heavily then the ProRes will show its benefits but for some of the fast turnaround stuff that I sometimes do the AVCHD will be just fine.
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #313
Major Player

After day 1 of shooting with the C100 i really like the images I got.

Things that are driving me bonkers.. The EVF. It WOULD be okey with peaking if canon had put a decent eye cup on it. But no, its impossible to really get your eye on it.

AND the LCD.. terrible in any sort of direct light. I see why people have put Z Finders on them.

Camera is easy to use however. Im almost temped to buy it.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #314
Trustee

A lot of that wide city outdoor scenic footage is looking pretty amazing... Itching to try one of these things out.
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #315
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
After day 1 of shooting with the C100 i really like the images I got.

Things that are driving me bonkers.. The EVF. It WOULD be okey with peaking if canon had put a decent eye cup on it. But no, its impossible to really get your eye on it.

AND the LCD.. terrible in any sort of direct light. I see why people have put Z Finders on them.

Camera is easy to use however. Im almost temped to buy it.
You really have to tilt ypur head, unlike any head psoyion I have ever wuse with an EVF, but then the eyecup works.

I find that shooting the the EVF set to B&W makes focusing much easier. But harder to judge WB etc. really want a Z-Finder if Zacuto, who is famous for long waits on announced products, would just release that, as well as the Plazma lights.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems