Denz C300 hand grip re-locator at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old October 21st, 2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Denz C300 hand grip re-locator

Last week I got the Denz hand grip re-locator delivered.

It feels like a good quality product and I had the chance to use it on friday when I ditched my normal run & gun camera the XF300 for the C300.

The thing I like about the XF300 is where the hand grip is mounted and when used in conjunction with a Vocas rail system it feels good on the shoulder.

The C300 in contrast feels awkward on the shoulder, but with the Denz relocator it feels much better.

The Denz kit comes in two parts which you have to purchase separately. The re-locator and the attachment which lets you connect it to the rails.

The big problem is that the attachment keeps moving around the the rail. No matter how much I tightened it, it would just move around and if I didn't have the shoulder mount attached to the rear of the rails, the rail itself would move around as well.

It got so bad that I just took it off.

What it needs is a longer bracket attachment that locks into both rails to reduce slippage.

The other problem, albeit minor, is that when using a manfrotto tripod it's a little awkward getting the camera attached to the tripod head as it knocks into the re-locator. Not a problem with the Miller tripods though.

Does anyone know how I can get that relocator to lock in one position? Having spent £££'s, I really don't want to buy another one.

Pics below.

PS. I was hesitant to use the C300 as an ENG camera, but having spent 2 days filming at a Star Trek convention I'm thinking of selling my XF300.
Attached Thumbnails
Denz C300 hand grip re-locator-img_0103.jpg   Denz C300 hand grip re-locator-img_0104.jpg  

Denz C300 hand grip re-locator-img_0105.jpg   Denz C300 hand grip re-locator-img_0106.jpg  

Denz C300 hand grip re-locator-img_0148.jpg   Denz C300 hand grip re-locator-img_0149.jpg  

Denz C300 hand grip re-locator-img_0152.jpg  
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Denz C300 hand grip re-locator

You might also notice that I changed the Mic holder on the camera as well.

It's a Rycote one (I think) which fits straight onto the camera where the original one was screwed in.

Much much better!!!
Old October 22nd, 2012, 03:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

If its always going to be used in the same position by yourself you could simply drill a little hole say 3mm through the curved back of the locator through into the rail and place a 3mm bolt or pin in it, the twisting action would be enough to lock it in place but still be easily removable for breaking it down again. Same where the rail goes through the camera plate. All you need is a drill and a 3mm "metal" drill bit, aluminium is very easy to drill.
Steve Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 04:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benjamin View Post
If its always going to be used in the same position by yourself you could simply drill a little hole say 3mm through the curved back of the locator through into the rail and place a 3mm bolt or pin in it, the twisting action would be enough to lock it in place but still be easily removable for breaking it down again. Same where the rail goes through the camera plate. All you need is a drill and a 3mm "metal" drill bit, aluminium is very easy to drill.
Found out what the main problem is and thanks to Mathias for pointing me in the right direction.

The problem is actually with the Vocas base plate. It's not gripping the rod securely as it only has one clip securing it.

Need another base plate that really grips the rod. Once that's done, I'll be using the Denz re-locator a lot more!!

Apologies for posting the wrong assumption.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 05:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Syeed,

Where do you buy the Denz C300 grip re-locator? I ordered one from B&H that Zacuto builds but I really don't like Zacuto product. They always build it to only match their gear which is a problem. Good for them but not good for their customer.

I have time today to cancel that order if I can find where to buy the Denz option.

Also I am ordering the FocusPlus+ follow focus system that will be a perfect match to the handle on the right side. Finger tip control with both setups and Movcam rig will be a great run and gun camera setup with all the lens options needed.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 05:34 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Found their site and sent them an email. Hopefully they have a US option so I could have it for my next job.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 06:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Hi Syeed,

Where do you buy the Denz C300 grip re-locator? I ordered one from B&H that Zacuto builds but I really don't like Zacuto product. They always build it to only match their gear which is a problem. Good for them but not good for their customer.

I have time today to cancel that order if I can find where to buy the Denz option.

Also I am ordering the FocusPlus+ follow focus system that will be a perfect match to the handle on the right side. Finger tip control with both setups and Movcam rig will be a great run and gun camera setup with all the lens options needed.
I got it from www.top-teks.co.uk

Took about 10 days for delivery.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 06:35 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks Syeed,

I was surprised how expensive it is. We really get it handed to us with such simple parts. I think I will stick with the Zacuto since it will be here tomorrow and to modify for my rig will be pretty easy in my shop.

If you have not checked it out yet check out the FocusPlus+. From all the research I have done and after owning a few FF from some big names this looks like the perfect fit for the C300 on the shoulder, tripod. And at a price you would not see in the US.
FocusPLUS+ - edelkrone Store
Old October 22nd, 2012, 06:47 AM   #9
New Boot

If you put into mind that you are not limited to a specific rig and the perfect build quality the Denz c300 grip relocator isn't any more expensive then similar products from others.
You can use this version with any 15mm rod or rosette mount. Other manufactures limit you to their own way of getting peices together.
The very weak US dollar also doesn't help to bring the price down.

As far as i know Denz doesn't have a US distributor yet, but will be more then happy to send from Germany.
http://www.denz-deniz.com

As for the Edkrone Focus... I think it needs a different thread to not spam this dedicated topic full.
The concet looks nice but i don't like the way they fix and limit 3 dimensional handle placement.
Mathias Haecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 07:03 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Agree Mathias the Denz grip looks nice and will fit any 15mm system. That is what made me look deeper into a purchase. But with exchange it cost more then getting the Zacuto and doing a quick mod.

As for the FocusPlus+ I was just giving Syeed a good option to mate to with his Denz. The fact that you do not like it is fine we all have valid opinions.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 07:12 AM   #11
New Boot

As for remote focus pulling on a rig, the new upcomming Tornado from Zacuto would be a nice option, as you can focus without leaving the handle or moving parts of your hand away at all. But brings you back to a dedicated mounting system and a not yet prooven or available design.
But you could place your hand on a much more flexible position.

But i always recomended to try in advance of buying stuff, if possible.
Sometimes strange looking stuff works really great and stuff that seems logical sucks or doesn't fit your own ergonomics at all.
Mathias Haecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 07:30 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Good points,

I might have gone for the Zacuto options but needed something by next week for three week shoot that is coming up.

The Tornado is very similar to what I have been using for years with my Fujinon 1/2" and 2/3" lens. Fujinon has a screw in gear onto the lens and a cable that runs to a handle to control the focus. This type of system has been used for year and offers a very smooth focus control.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 07:42 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks Paul, but I already have the Genus FF although don't really use it when I have the C300 on my shoulder as it just adds to the weight.
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Finally fixed the revolving rods problem.

Instead if buying a new expensive base plate, picked up a 15mm bracket from Lanparte. No more moving rod and I can use it as an ENG camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Denz C300 hand grip re-locator-image.jpg  
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Syeed,

I did the same thing and it works well. Have coming a 3 1/2" rod that will screw into the Zacuto grip re-locator instead of me just clamping to the threaded stub coming from the relocator.

Sorry thought I had a pic of the setup. Will post one soon.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems