External Recorders and Superwhites at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 5th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Major Player

External Recorders and Superwhites

I'm a C100 owner looking to add an external recorder, namely the Ninja 2...

The C100, like the GH2 before it, seems to bury a lot of information (a lot!) in the superwhites. When I view footage in quicktime player or import it using legal range, I get clippy highlights. When I import it using extended range (using 5DtoRGB) there is much more highlight detail.

I just want to confirm that external recorders take advantage of the extended range. Little point adding a prores recorder only to lose latitude over the built-in codec! This confuses me a bit, though, since the viewfinder and EVF appear to display the legal range image, and I assume an HDMI monitor would, too, so I have my concerns. Please allay or confirm them! Thanks!
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: External Recorders and Superwhites

Yes, Ninja and Pix and all the rest will record your SuperWhites.

5dtoRGB is great when you have time. Luckily, it's not to arduous to use SuperWhites in FCPX, PPro etc. Just need to know what do do. But if I had the time/budget or were working on my own film, I'd be using 5dtoRGB - the difference is subtle but enough to make time for it.

I blogged about this a while back - hope the info may be of some use:

Dealing with 109% whites – the footage that goes to 11 Travelling Matt

Hope this helps...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems