EF Lenses - which gap? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 6th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: EF Lenses - which gap?

Hi Pat,

If you've got the 40mm STM you will have a good idea of the quality of the optics. I've been very pleased with the 18-135mm. Whilst it definitely isn't an L lens in build quality it is pretty robust. I like the electronic focus on it, very smooth and precise, just need a light touch and it is also parfocal.

If you've not seen it yet here is the Photozone review.

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM IS - Review / Test Report

Like many people with C300s and C100s I've also got the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM , and I would say that that is a superior lens in both the optics and the build - but it hasn't got the reach you need in certain situations.

If i had deep pockets I'd stick to L Lenses and would love to try out some of the Canon Cinema Lenses. Maybe I'll have a win on the lottery and buy the 30-300 a snip at $44,640. What are more affordable are the Primes with a 14mm at $5,220.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Interesting info and thanks for the link Mark. Maybe I should give that lens a closer look!

One question - I don't want to derail this thread - but how noisy is the IS on that 18-135mm STM lens?

I find my Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS has a remarkably quiet IS which of course is great. On the other hand, the Canon 70-200mm F4 IS tends to be significantly louder, the "grinding gears" noise being detectable by an onboard shotgun in environments with low background noise. A Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS (not the latest version) that a friend of mine lent me for a long period was equally loud, maybe even worse. The only other (image stabilised) Canon lens I have is the 100mm F2.8 Macro (HIS) and that is probably as quiet as the 17-55mm.

I find IS noise can be a factor in fast paced run-n-gun work where you are often forced to rely on sound from an on-camera shotgun (as well as a good lens zoom range for fast shot selection/reframing). However, this seems to be an area often overlooked, or at least rarely mentioned, when selecting IS zoom lenses.

I am just wondering how quietly these newer STM lenses perform image stabilisation. The review mentions auto focus is fast and quiet but does not inform on this specific aspect.
Old April 7th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #18
Major Player

Andy,

The 18-135mm STM IS is as quiet as a mouse and generally the image stabilisation is very efficient.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #19
Major Player

I have a 24-105 on my my C100 and if I buy another C100 I was thinking about the 18-135 for it. A good all-round range, IS plus STM for the autofocus update somewhere along the line.

Anyone have opinions on this lens? Will it be good enough to pair with the 24-105?
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Dan,

Whilst investigating this lens last night I found a couple of good reviews. May help.

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens Review

Canon 18-135mm STM Review
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #21
Major Player

I have the 18-200mm lens and have not been too pleased with it. I find the travel on the focus so short that it is quite difficult to get things in focus. Lack of parfocal is a PITA. I'm underwhelmed by the IS and find the image not particularly good. I find myself never actually using it. Would the 18-135mm STM make a better run and gun lens? Would it be more on par quality-wise with the 15-85mm that I'm quite pleased with?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems