Auto Gain/ISO Option Needed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 29th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Auto Gain/ISO Option Needed?

I used the C100 for only one wedding, but I really think it would be awesome to have an auto gain/iso option/button on the C100 like the auto-iris button (which I did not use much). I was really working that little joystick changing the iso almost ever shot. There really should be an option to have the camera do this, it is pretty straight forward. With a auto-iso option, maybe have an upper limit option in the menu so it only goes up so much, say set it at 10,000 iso. For the wedding, I was mostly changing the gain as I wanted to shoot as shallow depth-of-field as I could. If I had a auto-ISO option, that I could monitor on the screen, that would free me up a little to concentrate on other things. I can imagine that little joystick just wearing out after a while changing the ISO all the time.

Do you think an auto ISO option can be changed by a firmware update?

Is there a place we can request added options to Canon?
Jeffrey Fuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Auto Gain/ISO Option Needed?

For C100, they have announced the shifting of display location during magnification. Canon is committed to give auto functions. If there is sufficient demand for auto ISO option, then they may consider it. They will buy the logica that many people used to DSLRs are used to the auto ISO option, so they want it in C100.

It should be simple enough to do it by a firmware modification. The DSLR cameras have it. However you should also note that Canon has just announced a firmware update to include auto iris and auto AF in the C300. They will do that by October 2013. (Canon's typical 6 month cycle). By that time you would have got used to the present camera and fast enough to change the ISO via menu options.

Nevertheless, if there are more voices, then Canon may listen.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems