How to build a single backpack filmmaking kit with the C100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old January 8th, 2014, 03:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to build a single backpack filmmaking kit with the C100

Wondering if anyone else has banked on the small size of the C100 to create a tiny travel kit? It took me quite a bit of experimentation over the years, with DSLRs and accessories, but thanks to the C100 (along with new carbon fiber stuff, and the Ice Light), I've finally got an entire documentary filmmaking kit (that works well) into one backpack. Has anyone else experimented with fitting everything into a single bag?

http://alaskavideoshooter.com/comple...-one-backpack/

I've got a C100, 3 lenses, tripod, slider, wireless LAV kit, shotgun mic, and even an interview light and stand all in a Tom Bihn bag. It's fit into all my recent flights as a carry-on (for the super small planes, I had to place it under my seat rather than overhead).

Cheers -
Slavik Boyechko
Slavik Boyechko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How to build a single backpack filmmaking kit with the C100

Nice write up.
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 06:04 AM   #3
Tourist

Hi and thank you very much for the useful post.

I'm about to go to South America with a 'splash resistant' c300. I was wondering did you experience any problems with humidity on your trip. Any specific 'wet suit' needed?

Thank you!
Maya Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 07:23 AM   #4
Trustee

Very informative write up. I didn't know the duzi broke down like that.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Mark - the Duzi definitely breaks down super easy for travel, and recently I took it a step further and put it on Cinevate 45cm rails to make it even smaller. It's a really great (and totally simple) slider system that works without a lot of head scratching.

Cheers -
Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:16 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks for the info.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 02:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Nova View Post
Hi and thank you very much for the useful post.

I'm about to go to South America with a 'splash resistant' c300. I was wondering did you experience any problems with humidity on your trip. Any specific 'wet suit' needed?

Thank you!
I shoot with C300 in pretty humid conditions. I have shot in rain trying to document landslides, (ofcourse I do try to protect it by throwing in a towel or jacket etc) and have wiped off the water later. There are sealings in the C300 (you can see the sealings in this link Review: Canon C300 for Wildlife Filming ). I am more concerned about water running infront of the lens and ruining the shot (no matte box mode).

In one shoot, I had the luxury of staying in a 5 star hotel by the seaside. When I came out in the morning to catch the early morning light, to my horror I found the lens fogging up. Next day onwards, I started keeping the camera bag outside the AC room. Again the splashes from the waves was not a major issue. I did wipe the camera and lens clean later.

Interesting to hear about the slider. I am now looking for a small motorised slider for those one man shoots. My MYT slider is too big for remote locations especially when hiking without porters.

Edit: I forgot to mention that while carrying the C300 LCD mounted on a backpack, the camera got tilted and the weight fell on the cable and the cable no. 1 became loose. This impacted the LCD and the image started flickering. Had to give it to Canon and they changed the cable free of charge.

Last edited by Sabyasachi Patra; February 6th, 2014 at 03:56 AM.
Sabyasachi Patra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 03:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

For me, the Duzi has not been impacted by temperature or moisture changes at all, and in Alaska these changes are pretty significant anytime you shoot both indoors and outdoors (which is pretty much all the time for doc shooters). There's a more comprehensive review of the Duzi in -45 degree weather - Duzi Slider Reviewed in -45 Degrees | Cinevate – Tools for Filmmakers and Photographers

Also the Gitzo 1542T carbon tripod and MVH500AH combo has been really great in all sorts of temperatures for me. The carbon legs don't get super cold to the touch, like regular tripods do.

Not sure about motorized sliders, though, and how they might be affected by temperature changes. Have you heard of the Genie motorized slider that goes on top of any slider or object? Syrp
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:51 AM   #9
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
I shoot with C300 in pretty humid conditions. I have shot in rain trying to document landslides, (ofcourse I do try to protect it by throwing in a towel or jacket etc) and have wiped off the water later. There are sealings in the C300 (you can see the sealings in this link Review: Canon C300 for Wildlife Filming ). I am more concerned about water running infront of the lens and ruining the shot (no matte box mode).
Sabyasachi, thank you for your response. It makes me a bit more comfortable about taking the "C" in the jungle. :)
Maya Nova is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems