ABB - Body or Lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old January 24th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #1
Trustee

ABB - Body or Lens?

OK - so we know we're supposed to auto black balance when changing temperatures and major ISO changes, but do we really need to remove the lens and attach the body cap, or is it enough to attached the lens cap and leave the lens on?

Oops, C100 was supposed to be in the title too ;)
Old January 24th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: ABB - Body or Lens?

i don't bother with the body, and it's likely they're just saying what's more foolproof, but if the screen is black, it should be good
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Major Player

I just put a lens cap on, although I try to find a dark place if I can.... Seems to work.
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Trustee

No problem with doing ABB with the lens cap on as long as there is no light leakage around the cap. I also close the aperture down all the way as a little extra light leakage insurance when I run ABB with the lens cap on.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #5
Trustee

Does anyone here subscribe to CML? There's been an interesting debate about nomenclature regarding the 'get the camera to do something geeky with the body cap on'. Bottom line is that it isn't quite as simple as a an Auto Black Balance.

Some cameras are looking for stuck pixels, others are trying to look at 'Fixed Pattern Noise' and I think this is what the C100 is doing, hence the official need for an 'ABB' née 'FPN' routine. Other things that are taken into consideration are the temperature of the system (versus the temperature at which the previous FPN measurement was taken), and (apparently) gamma radiation.

As for doing an ABB on every ISO change, does that equate to the same thing every time we kick in more gain? Some of us don't 'do' ISO. This might be one step beyond for most people - just do an ABB before each setup or after a location change. Lens cap with the microfiber cloth or a bit of black-wrap over it.
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #6
Major Player

I´m thinking about getting this camera for filming weddings, corporate events, music videos etc. What is all this about setting the ABB every time you change the ISo or gain? That sounds really impractical when filming events. How does that work in reality?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #7
Trustee

You can get away with it, but you should get into the habit of ABBing at the start of any shoot, when you move from one temperature zone to another, and perhaps when you significantly change your setup (moving from one location to another). Changing Gain/ISO is one step beyond for event videographers (I count myself in that group).

If you don't, you may find that you get vertical streaks of noise pattern in your images. In such situations, a good denoise filter will fix this - but takes ages to render.

This blog post may help: http://mattdavis.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/c100-noise/
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks for the replies / feedback.

I've certainly seen some better quality / lower noise when doing regular ABB on the C100, something I've got away without doing very often on other cameras.

For corporate work it's not really a problem and it really doesn't take that long, but for live events I often have to skip it, which is a shame given what the camera is capable of when done right.
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #9
Major Player

How long does it take? How does it affect the images apart from noise? I mean, is it alright to film the entrance into an interior, e.g. a church, without doing the ABB and once things have settled down do a quick ABB. Does it create a big difference between images? Does only affect noise or colors as well?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Basically, if you don't BB... THE WORLD WILL END

i hope you get my sarcastic point, the world will not end if you don't BB, nor will your image look destroyed, think of BB as a way to get the best image, but even without it, the image is already outstanding, so if you have time, do it, if you risk missing a shot by doing it, DON"T.

it does take a painful number of seconds for it to complete the process, and in many cases you probably won't even notice the difference, it's basically image insurance.
Old February 7th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #11
Major Player

Basically, if you don't BB... THE WORLD WILL END

lol,
Got to add it to the list of world ending phenomena!
Thanks,
that´s what I wanted to know. I suppose it´s best practice but not always possible.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems