Custom Eyecup for the C100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 9th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Custom Eyecup for the C100

I guess now is as good a time as any to figure out exactly what Twitter is. Thanks Drew!
Andrew Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #17
New Boot

Looks comfortable!

How accessible if the diopter while the eyecup is on?
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #18
Major Player

im game, keep us updated
Old February 9th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Malley View Post
Looks comfortable!

How accessible if the diopter while the eyecup is on?
Great question Chris.

The computer model is designed with a notch cut out so users can access the diopter switch. The prototypes I have on hand do not have that notch, though, as that area was problematic in that air bubbles in that area were getting trapped inside the mold and thus making their way into the castings. Taking out the notch, as well as modifying other parts of the design, was the only way to mitigate the air bubbles and pull good prototypes out of the mold.

This is only because we're making prototypes with a handmade mold. We don't have a vacuum chamber either, which might make our castings an easier process. Suffice it to say, each of these half-dozen prototypes was difficult to make, taking about 2 hours each. Assuming we get enough backers to go into production, we will be using a high-pressure, high-heat mold that can crank these things out flawlessly and in seconds. The production run models will be a bit cleaner than the prototypes, with a few enhancements, and they will also take into account any feedback and improvements we receive during the Kickstarter campaign. It's actually pretty easy to modify this thing in the computer (says the guy who asks the other guy to make modifications in the computer) based on what we learn from the prototypes.

All that said, the prototypes work great, and accessing the diopter without a notch isn't much of a chore. They fit securely, but you can easily install or remove it to make a diopter adjustment. I don't wear glasses, so for me I just pop it on and use it.
Old February 9th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
can you detail the advantages of this over some of the other solutions, such as the zacuto replacement eyecup, or the microplush cup that people are successfully using?
I use the C100 handheld with the viewfinder pretty much exclusively, so for me the eyecup is super important (and am really excited to try Andrew's solution). I have tried the Zacuto eyecup, the Blue Star cushion, and the IKKUP, or a combination of all of them. The Zacuto by itself is okay, but doesn't stay on, and because it's so thin if you try to use it as a point-of-contact (which is the whole point for handheld), it flaps backward on itself and ceases to be an eyecup - until you flap it forward and try again.

The Blue Star is comfy and you can definitely use it as a point of contact, but it's small and doesn't wrap around your eye much. The combo of Zacuto and Bluestar is better, but it still falls off the C100 anytime you move the camera in or out of a bag. Plus you have to glue them together - I tried to use velcro... and it was not good.

Probably the best combo is the IKKUP (available at B&H) and Blue Star, also glued together. It stays on, and is fairly rigid for using as a point-of-contact, but together they're over $55, and because the IKKUP tunnel puts you so far away from the C100 viewfinder, you can lose the image unless your eye is directly in the center.

Anyway, looking forward it trying out this solution!
Slavik Boyechko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #21
Tourist

Andrew:

Looks good, my only suggestion, and maybe its already has this in the design, is to make sure the eyecup can take a "standard" size chamois. Count me in for one, $40 is a fair price.

Jeff
Jeff Buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 05:11 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Buss View Post
Looks good, my only suggestion, and maybe its already has this in the design, is to make sure the eyecup can take a "standard" size chamois.
Thanks Jeff, great suggestion. The outside diameter of my prototype measures 3 3/16" which is larger than the "large" Bluestar camois (according to B&H). I've ordered that and the XL size for verification purposes, and if you'd like me to test another model please specify. If needed, I think we could lose that 3/16" without affecting utility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavik Boyechko View Post
...Anyway, looking forward it trying out this solution!
Thanks Slavik. I'll have a prototype sent out to you in Alaska this morning. I look forward to your feedback!
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:29 AM   #23
Major Player

Andrew, how long do you think it'll take you to get everything up and running? Have you calculated how much you'll need through the kick starter campaign?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #24
Regular Crew

We are essentially ready to launch the KS at any moment, but I want to wait until I return from a shoot before we do, as all next week I'll be floating on the Mississippi River - where cell phone connectivity is light and where it would be difficult for me to manage a campaign. I'm hoping to launch on 2/17 or 2/18.

We've got a relatively modest number we need to hit, although it may come down over the next week as we still have some bids we are waiting to hear back on. However much the goal ends up being will be a break even point (not including costs up til now).

This project will sink or swim depending on demand from users alone (no t-shirts for incentives, just eyecups). Canon does not publicly release sales figures so it's difficult to know how many C100s are out there, but with a bit of tenacity I think we've come upon a solid, conservative estimate. Even if our goal doesn't come down from where it is currently, I'm confident we can do pull it off as long as I can convince users not just to back us, but also to notify other C100 users about the eyecup.
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #25
Tourist

Hi Andrew,
Well done for your initiative in doing something that Canon or anyone else didn't consider!
I shoot and edit a lot of doco and indi projects and love my C100 - except for the viewfinder setup. I wear glasses and to have an eyecup which looks like it will incorporate that feature is VERY attractive to me.

Could you send me a link to your crowd funding so I can contribute to the development.

Goodonya mate!

Phil
Phil Donnison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 04:20 PM   #26
Regular Crew

We are live on KS: http://kck.st/1p3ciUQ

Tell your friends!

To help spread the word, I'd like to continue this conversation on Twitter, where possible. If you wanna holler at me there I'm @raddosilver. Do it!
Old February 21st, 2014, 04:48 PM   #27
Major Player

i have bestowed you sir andrew, the gift of backing.
Old February 21st, 2014, 04:59 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Big thanks Darren! You're going to love it.
Old February 21st, 2014, 05:02 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Donnison View Post
Hi Andrew,
Well done for your initiative in doing something that Canon or anyone else didn't consider!
I shoot and edit a lot of doco and indi projects and love my C100 - except for the viewfinder setup. I wear glasses and to have an eyecup which looks like it will incorporate that feature is VERY attractive to me.

Could you send me a link to your crowd funding so I can contribute to the development.

Goodonya mate!

Phil
Thanks Phil. I hope it works for folks with glasses. One tester told me that, while comfortable and secure, while wearing glasses it still allowed for light to come in. I suppose it really depends on what kind of glasses, and for the next 30 days I'm open to hearing all ideas!
Old February 21st, 2014, 05:22 PM   #30
Trustee

Backed - with international shipping :)

Looking forward to it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems