C100 and handholding - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old January 21st, 2015, 07:32 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: C100 and handholding

This may sound odd, but my favorite way to handhold my c100 is to simply hold it in my hand. No rig needed. I find that if I have a stabilized lens, right hand on the grip and left hand cupping the underside of the camera/lens works really solid. I find that to much other stuff gets in my way.
Andy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:15 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Young View Post
This may sound odd, but my favorite way to handhold my c100 is to simply hold it in my hand. No rig needed. I find that if I have a stabilized lens, right hand on the grip and left hand cupping the underside of the camera/lens works really solid. I find that to much other stuff gets in my way.
I was going to say that myself. In my case it's with the C300 but handholding, esp. with a stabilized lens, works just fine and makes you as low key as possible.
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:26 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
I find that if I have a stabilized lens, right hand on the grip and left hand cupping the underside of the camera/lens works really solid. I find that to much other stuff gets in my way.
That's my experience as well, though for longer shots it becomes a little heavy. I think the Zacuto Recoil rig is probably the best in-between setup I have seen.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 09:01 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Roemer View Post
I was going to say that myself. In my case it's with the C300 but handholding, esp. with a stabilized lens, works just fine and makes you as low key as possible.
Same. But I put the neck strap on, and around my neck and pull it tight. I used to do this with my 5d2 all the time. With a wide or an IS lens - it holds up pretty good.

The zacuto rig looks like they want you to buy the base and keep giving them money until you run out.
Old January 21st, 2015, 09:29 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
The zacuto rig looks like they want you to buy the base and keep giving them money until you run out.
What do you mean?
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:14 AM   #21
Major Player

This is interesting about not using any rigs. I was just talking to a friend about this and he basically said the same thing. Just handholding with hands, everything else gets in a way.
So if you are handholding the camera how do you manage to keep the camera in focus? (maybe that's a silly question), but let's say I want a relatively shallow depth of field, handholding the camera, keeping it in focus by using the little screen is hard, no? I haven't tried but that's what I'm thinking.
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 08:09 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I can still keep the front base of the camera settled in my palm and use my thumb and my index finger to pull focus. I've been doing it this way long enough that it has become second nature and I don;t really think about it.
Andy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:31 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
What do you mean?
Hey Gary, I mean - I think the base unit will just get you started, and they want you to buy every accessory they have for it to really make it reasonably functional. And with zacuto prices, that's going to add up pretty quick. I'm all about investing to make either the client product or the work flow better, I just don't really see it in shoulder rigs. I suppose if you shoot a lot of eng style, it might work - since there are not so many off the shelf eng style cameras these days.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:39 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
This is interesting about not using any rigs. I was just talking to a friend about this and he basically said the same thing. Just handholding with hands, everything else gets in a way.
So if you are handholding the camera how do you manage to keep the camera in focus? (maybe that's a silly question), but let's say I want a relatively shallow depth of field, handholding the camera, keeping it in focus by using the little screen is hard, no? I haven't tried but that's what I'm thinking.
Kathy,

I use the push auto focus button to confirm focus - you will have to center your subject, then drift off center for preferred composition, but it works. But I spent a full 5 years focussing manually with the 5d m2, so the c100 feels almost like full auto, just by having this feature. Be careful because if you're in low light, or the subject is not very contrasty, you might end up way off. In a pinch, you can also glance at the lens barrel distance reading and estimate.

Also, it helps to be mindful of your distance to subject, and your approximate depth of field - and noticing if the subject (and you) are maintaining that distance.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:41 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hey Gary, I mean - I think the base unit will just get you started, and they want you to buy every accessory they have for it to really make it reasonably functional.
From where I sit, the basic Recoil rig is all I would need. Sure, you can build it up, but you add weight and not much functionality. Though I would consider a Gratical, which is probably the cost of all those optional accessories combined!
Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:43 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
I want a relatively shallow depth of field, handholding the camera, keeping it in focus by using the little screen is hard, no?
That's why you don't focus by eye, you focus using peaking and magnified focus assist.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:38 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
I can still keep the front base of the camera settled in my palm and use my thumb and my index finger to pull focus. I've been doing it this way long enough that it has become second nature and I don;t really think about it.
OK, I am going to start practicing this. Do you use focus assist?
Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:39 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Kathy,

I use the push auto focus button to confirm focus - you will have to center your subject, then drift off center for preferred composition, but it works. But I spent a full 5 years focussing manually with the 5d m2, so the c100 feels almost like full auto, just by having this feature. Be careful because if you're in low light, or the subject is not very contrasty, you might end up way off. In a pinch, you can also glance at the lens barrel distance reading and estimate.

Also, it helps to be mindful of your distance to subject, and your approximate depth of field - and noticing if the subject (and you) are maintaining that distance.
Thanks Ken. I guess I always found it hard to use the crappy monitor on C100 but I will have to just practice
Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:41 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
That's why you don't focus by eye, you focus using peaking and magnified focus assist.
Yes, I normally don't focus by eye and I'm not a fan of C100 screen so I have been using external screen which I won't be able to use handheld. So I just have to practice.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:51 PM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Oh, Yes.... focus peaking is always on... gotta love the focus peaking...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems