C300 loose LCD attachement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Telecam Films

C300 loose LCD attachement

Since getting my C300s, I often had to tighten the tiny screws which secure the LCD shoe attachment. Overtime, the 4 screws became stripped and so today, I ordered new ones. Problem is that 2 out 4 are so worn that I can't get them out. Also, it looks like blue Loctite was applied to those screws at the factory so, that doesn't help either. Any tip to remove a tiny stripped screw?

And by the way, the LCD attachment is really weak point on C300s. No matter how careful one is when moving the camera around or during transport, it will eventually become loose. I wish Canon would have use larger Torx screws and no tiny Phillips, those are the worst type of screw to use in that kind of application.
Attached Thumbnails
C300 loose LCD attachement-c300-cold-shoe.jpg  
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 05:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: C300 loose LCD attachement

A possible option would be to drill (very carefully, very straight) a pilot hole about 3/8ths inch deep into the top of each screw with a 1/8th inch diameter carbide-tipped drill bit. Then use a left-handed drill bit of a slightly larger diameter to try to extract the damaged screw. This would be done by hand, not a powered tool. You might be able to get it out with an E-Z Out kit, but I can't tell just how small those screws are, and to use an E-Z Out, you need more material to bite into than the left-handed drill bit would need.

Non knowing what material the screws are made of, if you choose a softer, regular steel drill bit, it might not be able to cut into the screw and possibly make things worse by wandering off the target area. It's sort of a 'one shot, one kill' situation. You want to get it right the first time and stop as soon as the situation seems to be going south on you.

A machine shop or maybe a jeweler could perform the task if you'd prefer.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Telecam Films

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. I think I am going to try using a dremel tool and make a small cut across the head to use a larger size flat screw driver. The attachment screws seems seem to be made with pretty soft steel as they are very easy to strip.

Cheers,
Old December 4th, 2014, 07:57 AM   #4
Telecam Films

I found this set of screw extractor hopefully, that will do the trick.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And for those interested, Canon's replacement screw part number is DB1-3398-000, $0.89ea.
Old December 11th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Major Player

You may even be able to use a flat head without dremeling. They seem to be able to lock in better with the flat base of the blade. Good luck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems