EOS R vs RP DPAF and 1.7 crop? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 24th, 2019, 02:25 AM   #1
Trustee

EOS R vs RP DPAF and 1.7 crop?

Guys,

I was hopping to get some feedback from someone who actually owns the EOS R because I've been getting some conflicting feedback from people. I know that when shooting 4K the DPAF won't work on the RP and it also has a 1.7 crop. But some people said that the on the R you still have DPAF in 4K and you DON'T have the 1.7 crop. Can an ACTUAL EOS R owner confirm this?
Old December 24th, 2019, 07:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: EOS R vs RP DPAF and 1.7 crop?

I don’t own it but I researched it a while back and my take away was it has a lot of things I don’t like and Sony A7iii is still the best full frame option.

To answer your question in 4k, it crops, struggles with auto focus and many people describe the image as soft.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2019, 09:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes View Post
Guys,

I was hopping to get some feedback from someone who actually owns the EOS R because I've been getting some conflicting feedback from people. I know that when shooting 4K the DPAF won't work on the RP and it also has a 1.7 crop. But some people said that the on the R you still have DPAF in 4K and you DON'T have the 1.7 crop. Can an ACTUAL EOS R owner confirm this?
I own it and, yes, on the EOS R in 4K DPAF works and yes you have the crop, ~1.7 (approx APS-C). You can also film in full-frame 1080P. The quality on both is excellent with one caveat. There is some rolling shutter in 4K mode but there is none in 1080 mode.

The R gets a lot of hate online but it's really an excellent camera. On the stills side it's got better detail than a 1DXM2 and better color than a 5DSR. If you finesse the raw files in post you can get pretty close to the detail of a 5DSR. It has better dynamic range than both of those cameras as well and you can pull far more out in post (e.g. shadow detail) than either of them.

On the video side, having C-log in it is great and the color is an extremely close match to the C300M2/C200:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsjMXu0Bv8G/

Another advantage of the R for video is that it has very high internal data rates, ~4x that of any of the Sony mirrorless bodies. So, even if you film in 8-bit internal the the files are still extremely robust & you always have the option of going to an external recorder if you want 10-bit. I believe the 1080 is ~90-180Mbps depending on the frame rate and 4K is ~480Mbps.

Unlike what Pete said -> I own two R's. Yes, there is the 4K crop but if you are mixing it as a b-camera to Canon Cinema series camera then it's irrelevant. I do not find that the DPAF struggles. In terms of the image, Sony tends to sharpen in-camera far more than Canon. If you add a touch of sharpening in post to the Canon it's all there.
Old December 26th, 2019, 07:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

People often ask very specific equipment questions but what's more import is understanding how you'll be using the camera and what features will be more helpful.

To me if you're getting this camera to shoot in 4k the crop factor is a big issue. But again sometimes people say I'm looking for a 4k camera or a full frame and these features are not actually important.
Old January 16th, 2020, 05:43 PM   #5
New Boot

Why is the crop facto such a big deal for 4K video? It's just a hair narrower than the industry standard super 35.
Steve Smede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 11:14 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The two biggest selling features of this camera is it’s full frame and 4k. It’s misleading because it can’t film full frame in 4k. If you didn’t care about full frame you wouldn’t be that interested in this camera. The crop isn’t significant compared to super 35, its substantial compared to full frame.
Old January 17th, 2020, 01:32 AM   #7
Inner Circle

What Pete said, and, one may need more lenses to get desired fields of view if shooting stills and video.

For example, 16mm is popular as an ultra wide angle but not crazy distortion... on S35. On FF you’d need about 24mm for the same look. What’s your desired FL for head and shoulders? And doesn’t the R actually have different crops for HD and UHD? 1.6 vs 1.8. Skip it all and just shoot 4k crop always? Why did I buy FF anyway?

To me that’s like having 3 different sensors. Many of us potential buyers of the R have glass based on APS-C / S35 sensors. Maybe a lot of glass. Multiple crops and FF on one camera means that even if one trades out the old glass for new, it may take more lenses for the same coverage. Complex, and, extra expensive. I’ll wait for multicrop insanity to pass!
Old January 17th, 2020, 03:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I'm in agreement with Seth. The lenses are a big issue with these cameras that change the crop based of the resolution. I believe it requires special lenses and there aren't a lot of choices. In addition lenses for ff are bigger, heavier, and more expensive and to be then cropping it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. In order to get normal wide angle of view you need an ultra wide lens. All of this isn't the end of the world but they are serious considerations.
Old January 27th, 2020, 07:26 PM   #9
Trustee

The one thing I'd add is that while I'm not crazy about the 4K crop, or the relatively poor dynamic range of the first two cameras, I do love the color science.

Far more then that, the new lenses seem to truly be the next step forward in mirror-less. Even the RF f4 24-120 looks to be a step better then the ef version.
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems