Canon C300mk3 is announced! US$11K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 20th, 2020, 10:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon C300mk3 is announced! US$11K

Canon C300mk3 just got announced!

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/04/...c300-mark-iii/

The FS7 has been #1 in its niche for years, the FX9 seemed like the natural successor to take the throne. But this C300mk3 might steal it away from Sony??

FX9 vs C300mk3:
Identical price. (ok ok, FX9 is one dollar less!)
Identical power draw. (35.2W vs 31W. Low power draw matters, the 63W of the C500mk2 is not a good thing when you're a solo operator)
C300mk3 has better DR
Canon has internal raw, vs Sony's external raw (need's an expensive external extension too!)
EIS with the Canon is done internally for a smooth handover to post, vs done in post for the FX9. That's a point for Canon.
I'll give the nod slightly to Sony for having the more versatile mount, but this is no longer the massive edge Sony used to have over Canon. Where with Canon in the past you were stuck with either EF or PL once you bought it (or sometimes, interchangeable but only by Canon themselves), but Canon now offers a user swappable mount between EF or PL (plus a bonus: or positive locking EF mount!! Giving you three options).
NDs, Sony gets the nod again with the eNDs.
AF, the FX9 has greatly improved autofocus for a Sony, but probably Canon might get the nod here.
Likewise FX9 has greatly improved color science, but perhaps Canon might have the edge for the win here too?

Is FF alone enough to make the FX9 win over the C300mk3? I don't think so, the C300mk2 is in with a serious shot to make a claim for the #1 spot for cinema camera on low budget productions.

In a way, this coronavirus crisis is a blessing in disguise for Canon's C300mk3

A big factor in the failure for the C300mk2 to live up to the massive smash hit success of the C300mk1 was that the C300mk2 was released too late to the market. As by that point in time the Sony FS7 had already gained a strong grip on the market. (of course the C300mk2's high launch price and lack of 4K 60fps didn't help! But if the C300mk2 had came out a few months before the FS7 then the C300mk2 might have prevented the FS7 from becoming a runaway success)

Is the C300mk3 going to suffer the same fate again in being too late to the game? Perhaps not, FX9 has had a slow roll out due to needing a few firmware updates.

But additionally almost nobody has been making big camera purchases in recent weeks, and likely most will be holding off on a new camera purchase over the next few months while the dust of this economic crisis settles. Sony won't be selling too many more bodies between now and July 2020 when the C300mk3 is meant to ship.

Normally a company having most of a year as a head start over their competition gives them enough of a good solid lead that it is an uphill battle for anybody to overcome, but not this time. As much of that time has been lost in limbo while we're trapped by the impacts of the coronavirus. Canon C300mk3 has a real shot at this.
Old April 21st, 2020, 03:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Canon C300mk3 is announced! US$11K

David hi,

this is such a nice overview of both cameras and I have to say that I agree with you 100 percent. A couple of weeks ago I had a good fortune receiving an invitation from Canon to test out their canon c300 mk3 that was officially announced yesterday. I have to say that this camera offers a really nice set of features with vastly improved dynamic range thanks their newly designed s35 size sensor with dual gain option. This camera lets you also shoot 120 fps internally without sensor cropping which is really nice. I am firm believer that the best way to try out any camera is to go out and make a short movie and that is exactly what we did. The final product is a nice little gem entitled Dear diary day 21. We also managed to make an overview of the 10 best features based on our hands on experience. From a red dragon owner point of view this is definitely a camera worth checking since they share many similarities but it seems that the canon c300 mk3 can be a bit more versatile. Feel free to follow the link to see the final movie and the 10 best canon c300 mk3 features overview. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. best D

Drazen Stader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2020, 03:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Fantastic Film!
Old April 24th, 2020, 03:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
The FS7 has been #1 in its niche for years, the FX9 seemed like the natural successor to take the throne. But this C300mk3 might steal it away from Sony??
I prefer the look of the new Canons over the new Sony offerings (excepting the Venice). I have yet to see FX9 footage that I like (subjective, but looks plasticky, I do not like its look, but its just me). FS7s/FX9s tick off a lot of the right spec boxes, but I'm not a fan of the image IQ/color science. Seriously thinking of buying this camera in 2 years or so.
Jose Carlos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems