How to use the C200 and Ninja External Monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old May 29th, 2020, 10:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to use the C200 and Ninja External Monitors

Hello,

I’ve just upgraded from the Cannon C100mk2 to the C200. With the C100 I was using the Ninja Blade as both an external monitor and recorder. When using the Ninja Blade, I didn’t have to do anything but plug it in a hit record and it recorded a clean ProRess file. Through the Ninja Blade I could see and monitor everything that appears on the cameras LCD screen such as Audio Levels, Battery Life, The recording time on SD cards etc But it didn’t record all of this data onto the ProRess file. It was the default, I didn’t have to change anything in the settings.

Different story when I upgraded to the C200. I stupidly assumed that the combination of the C200 and Ninja Blade would work the same way it did with the C100 mk2. Unfortunately, the ProRess file I recorded onto the Ninja Blade had recorded my subject and all of the data that appears on the LCD screen. So when looking at the files it looks like a recording of the LCD screen. I really want to be able to record a clean ProRess file onto the Ninja without all the data that appears on the LCD screen. How can I make sure it doesn’t while still being able to see the data from the camera on the external monitor and keep an eye on the Ninjas battery life?

The Ninja Blade has served me well but as it’s getting old and sometimes plays up but once it’s recording it does the job well. I still went out a purchased a Ninja V as a back up which also recorded interviews with the C100 perfectly.

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to record a clean image onto an external monitor, in my case either the Ninja Blade or V, using the C200 without recording the data you see on the cameras LCD screen? I have fiddled around in the settings but can’t find anything that will stop this from happening.

Any tips, tricks or advice would be most appreciated
Patrick Bronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 01:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: How to use the C200 and Ninja External Monitors

With the C200 you can not record a clean feed and see the OSD. It will either burnt in on recording or not be shown, clean feed. Trust your scopes and display on the Ninja V, they are very good.
Travis Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2020, 12:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

So I have consulted the manual with some help from a Cannon Expert. So I have to tap the Ninja screen so there is nothing displayed on the Ninja’s screen in order to record a clean feed?
You’ve used the Ninja V, have you found the results to be pretty good when compared with the Ninja Blade and other more high end Atomos products? Do you use it both as a recorder and a monitor?
Your input is most appreciated!
Patrick Bronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2020, 12:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Patrick, No you do not need to tap the screen while recording. Everything displayed on the Ninja is only Overlays. It is never burnt in only shows what's being recorded. For you to not record the canon overlays which will be burnt in, you need to turn off the On Screen Display in the menu.
I have had the Ninja Blade in the past and was excellent when I had a C100, better colors and bit rate. On the C200 I also use the SDI module. I mostly shoot 4K on this camera. So with that I can get 4K with the SSD card simultaneously or use SDI and record 2K and while I have RAW on the CFast card. Added back up and great visual tools on the Ninjas to get your picture close to what you want in the end.
Old June 7th, 2020, 01:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Wait, so the C200 doesn't have the option to not send OSD info to the HDMI and SDI outputs? Every Canon camera I've owned from the GL1 to my XF405s can do it with a menu toggle.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2020, 08:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

No, the c200 does do OSD over HDMI and SDI. The question was about monitor recording with the OSD on thru HDMI. It will be burnt in on the Ninja recordings if left on.
Old June 7th, 2020, 12:53 PM   #7
Major Player

I know, but there should be an option to toggle OSD off, so it's not burned in. You can still see it on the fold-out viewfinder, but it doesn't go to the outputs. It sounded like people were saying that there was no way to NOT send the OSD to the outputs, while being able to see it on the viewfinder.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems