Canon 60d and 7D seen, due on September 1st? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old August 20th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #1
New Boot

Canon 60d and 7D seen, due on September 1st?

A lower end complement to the EOS-5D Mark II may be due just two weeks after Canon's PowerShot upgrades today, a combination of leaks appears to show. An image at a Chinese forum (since pulled) shows a photo of a supposed EOS-7D and correlates to a now known-accurate rumor that showed the 7D in Best Buy's retail system along with all the point-and-shoot cameras released today, including the previously unknown S90. A Canon representative is also reported as having given the camera a September 1st launch with both a $2,700 body-only version and a $2,900 kit with a 28-135mm EF lens.

Most spec rumors for the 7D have it scaling down to 12.1 megapixels, below the resolution of even the Rebel T1i, but still using a full-frame sensor that would give it light sensitivity between ISO 100 and 25,600. It's also suspected that it would have the unique addition of a 3-inch OLED for more accurate colors on previews than an LCD but that it would slow down to 3.9 frames per second in continuous shooting from the 5 frames of the earlier model. The photo from today shows a microphone grille and directly hints at video capture that should include 1080p.

The Canon representative also allegedly made reference to the EOS-60D being available at the same time as the 7D. Rumors for that have it continuing to use a crop-frame sensor but a possibly improved 14.7-megapixel sensor with better low-light response, more autofocusing points and 1080p video.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon 60d and 7D seen, due on September 1st?-canon-7d.jpg  
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Most rumors can be pretty plausible since Canon is often very predictable, but I think this one is just wishful thinking. The biggest problem is that everyone thinks reducing megapixels from 21 to 12 will save on costs, allowing Canon to add new features without increasing the price.

The problem is that cost scales with area, not megapixels, so a new 12 MP sensor will cost the exact same as a new 21 MP sensor.

By the way, DVinfo.net is a little different from other web sites. Here, the rumors get posted to the Off Topic section, if at all. The site is about providing accurate information, which contradicts with the goal of rumor sites.
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Rumors = Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
By the way, DVinfo.net is a little different from other web sites. Here, the rumors get posted to the Off Topic section, if at all. The site is about providing accurate information, which contradicts with the goal of rumor sites.
Yup, i totally agree.

I just get on with my life and generally dont hear about newer camera/model until a week or so after people are posting hands on review.

I dont see how knowing about a release before hand affects your current state.
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
The problem is that cost scales with area, not megapixels, so a new 12 MP sensor will cost the exact same as a new 21 MP sensor.
Most important driver for cost is probably sales volume. Mass production is the key to bringing costs down.
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
Most important driver for cost is probably sales volume. Mass production is the key to bringing costs down.
Agreed. But I'm not responding to the idea of "12 MP will have higher sales than 21 MP, therefore it will cost less". Instead, I'm addressing the idea that "12 MP is cheaper to fabricate than 21 MP for the same sales volume", which I think is untrue.

(Personally, my estimate is that a 12 MP version would have lower sales, but I'm not privy to the market research.)
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:00 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Moved to Area 51.

Years ago there was a time when I didn't allow rumors on this site at all, but I'm softening up in my old age.

What good is any of this, unless and until it becomes official?

It ain't real until it's real. And misinformation is worse than useless.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old August 21st, 2009, 03:07 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Actually rumors are really not productive, IMO.

Pure speculation, feature requests/projections or educated guesses may be entertaining and somewhat useful, but unsubstantiated inuendo and photoshopped "screen grabs" of cameras that may... or more likely, may not exist, now or ever is really a waste of time and bandwidth.

I can speculate at what Canon or Sony or whoever may have "in the wings", but I'm not so bored as to go cook up a "picture", model number, or a bogus spec sheet... geez, aren't there better things to do?
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:51 AM   #8
Trustee

EOS 7D coming??

Rumours flying all over that the EOS7D is a FF camera with 1080p capability. Sounds quite likely that it is coming after all. What do you guys think? Was thinking of saving up for a 2nd 5D2 but if the 7D works out well (25p please!!) it would be worth considering
Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:18 AM   #9
Regular Crew

More interesting tidbits here and in the user comments they share their thoughts on this rumor as well. An interesting read indeed!

Canon EOS 7D image appears online, might be in Best Buy systems
Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:38 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

With no way to verify the accuracy of such rumors, where is the value in this (besides entertainment value)? If you consider that rumors of this nature almost *always* tend to get the facts wrong, that is, if there were any facts there to begin with, then what can you do -- productively -- with any of this?

Look, I can appreciate the eagerness and anticipation upon discovering clues about possible new product releases, believe me, I'm one of those guys myself. But what some of y'all might not realize is that rumors of an EOS 7D have been flying around since October 2007 at least. That's almost two years ago:

canons-eos-7d-gets-its-very-own-upc/ (October 2007)

And the problem you run into with this sort of thing is the sheer inaccuracy of it... in some cases, it's outright fabrication by nefarious pranksters who have nothing better to do than to put one over you. Take the "EOS 7D gets its own UPC code" story from two years ago, linked above. Any credence that rumor could have had completely falls away when you realize that anybody can go to that UPC code web site and enter in any 'ol UPC code they want, whether it's for an antigravity belt, a perpetual motion machine or an EOS 7D (and notice how that anonymous UPC code rumor is de-bunked by a real person posting under their real name).

The danger with this sort of thing is when somebody actually makes the mistake of taking it seriously and makes a purchase decision based on stuff they read on the Web that is not only not known to be true but might be so riddled with technical errors and inaccuracy as to cripple a business plan. In other words, counter-productive and worse than useless. In other words, not to be taken seriously.

Perhaps that sheds some light as to why I'm so militantly anti-rumor (after all, I'm running an Information Network).

Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:14 PM   #11
Inner Circle

That's where I think you have to draw a line - anything citing dates, actual model #'s, prices (I put this for all those "I can buy at this NY camera store for $XXX.XX" type postings) or specific features that cannot be independently verified is nothing but a waste of bandwidth.

It's FUN to speculate, and anticipate new releases (hey, I hope Sony DOES have some new announcements shortly, I want my Alpha DSLR-V dang it!!!!), but to post hearsay that because some "creative destructionist" posted some screen shot or photoshopped stock photo that "this is true" is just silly and naive - that's where knowing the source and the quality of information before posting should be done by every responsible member...

Newboot OP probably didn't know that DVi is a highly developed civilization in a sea of chaos...
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:44 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Indications from elsewhere on the web (sources in China) are that the long-awaited EOS 7D, which has been anticipated for two years, will be officially announced on Sep. 1st., which at the time of this writing is only a few hours away. My gut feeling is that the rumored specs posted in this thread will be borne out as completely false on many key points. Therefore, as a clear example of just how worthless most rumors are, this thread remains in public view (but is definitely closed for good; instead let's talk about the real thing).

Thanks all,

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD