DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7d vs 5dmkII article (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/434838-7d-vs-5dmkii-article.html)

Phil Bloom October 1st, 2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1423486)
Phil:

As I posted on your blog, Cineforms NeoScence conforms footage and sound to 29.97. I assume that holds true for their ProRes conversion.

if i could go back in time I would convert everything to this, but now everything is XDCAM EX and compressor is just too damn slow to convert everything.

Also half my footage is in XDCAM EX and Cineform says NO!

Jon Fairhurst October 1st, 2009 03:39 PM

Conforming the footage also slows the audio. It's the audio sync that will make you nuts when cutting the 5D2 with a 29.97 camera.

It would be nice if Canon at least gave us a 29.97 firmware update. That would be compatible with the standard that has been in place since December 1953. :)

And it would be compatible with at least one frame rate from the 7D.

Phil Bloom October 1st, 2009 03:43 PM

Exactly Jon. That's why I am tearing my hair out!!

Chris Barcellos October 1st, 2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1423613)
Conforming the footage also slows the audio. It's the audio sync that will make you nuts when cutting the 5D2 with a 29.97 camera.

It would be nice if Canon at least gave us a 29.97 firmware update. That would be compatible with the standard that has been in place since December 1953. :)

And it would be compatible with at least one frame rate from the 7D.

Well if they gave us that, that would be admitting they could give us 23.97...

Alvise Tedesco October 1st, 2009 05:32 PM

Hi Philip and all. Out of Cineform/framerates argument..

7D sensor involves easier focus pulling compared to 5D sensor (provided equal stop).
But then, a 25 or 35 still lens involves shorter focus gear rotation (and lower metering precision) than a fov comparable 50.
I'm trying to choose a fast "normal" that is well suited to pull focus more accurately with.
How is your experience on your 35 L 1.4 on that?

Sigma 30 1.4 I've heard has a stiff focus ring
Canon 28 1.8 I don't know if the focus ring isn't dampened enough
Nikon 35 2 I have one, unfortunately not a good copy in respect to focus ring

On a side note, what do you think about replacing my follow focus gear ring with a smaller one to counteract shorter rotation of the lens focus?

Cheers

Jon Fairhurst October 1st, 2009 09:49 PM

The 28/1.8 is a USM lens with similar quality to the 85/1.8. It has a good feel, but like other Canon lenses, the throw isn't very long. It's better than the 50/1.4 and much, much better than the 50/1.8 or 35/2.0 from Canon.

Unless you're really close to something, a 28mm lens is pretty forgiving when it comes to focus.

Alvise Tedesco October 2nd, 2009 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1424733)
Unless you're really close to something, a 28mm lens is pretty forgiving when it comes to focus.

True. That's where my concern come from. It is a 28 but will act as a 45 on the 7D, and I surely want to shoot @ f2 with a 45 (I mean, I'm used to get nice out of focus areas with my nikkor 50 1.4 also @ f4 with subject in the 10-15 feet range distance. Not easy to follow focus there, but doable).
I'm amazed this isn't covered here or on the other boards.
Am I wrong?
btw thanks for all your audio testing. It actually improved my beer craving as well

Nick Hiltgen October 2nd, 2009 12:26 PM

Hi I keep trying to find this out, when you plug in HDMI (or composite or whatever) do you lose the LCD like in the 5dm2?

Can anyone confirm this, or tell me what the deal is?

Phil Bloom October 2nd, 2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen (Post 1426915)
Hi I keep trying to find this out, when you plug in HDMI (or composite or whatever) do you lose the LCD like in the 5dm2?

Can anyone confirm this, or tell me what the deal is?

yep! but it is better...
Philip Bloom Blog Archive Using a monitor on the 7d is much better than with the 5dmkII

Nick Hiltgen October 2nd, 2009 01:29 PM

That's still kind of a bummer then. OH well we'll see if something comes out.

Tramm Hudson October 2nd, 2009 10:13 PM

Major difference between 7D and 5D

Phil -- another major difference that you didn't mention in your review is that the battery door on the 7D is spring loaded to the open position, while the 5D door requires operator intervention to open it. Clearly this one feature alone will be a factor in many purchasing decisions. Perhaps one of the accessory vendors will manufacture a 3rd party battery door for the 5D to add this important, vital even!, addition to the 5D.

(Thanks for adding the Magic Lantern mention!)