Fader ND and compatible lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 13th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fader ND and compatible lens

I'm looking at the Fader ND and wondering what the max. widest lens will be able to use without vignetting(video mode). I'm looking at either the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS or the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. Anyone have experience w/ the Fader and any of these lens? also, would i put my uv filter in front or behind the Fader ND? thanks for your feedback!

Last edited by Jaser Stockert; October 13th, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Contributor

Interesting. I'd never heard of an adjustable ND filter before. Seems to cheap to be too good, but y'never know. I'd guess at 17mm you should be OK ,but if you also have the UV on, you probably would get a little vignetting. With one filter you should be OK.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Vari-ND

Jaser,

I've got the 7D and the Canon 17-55 f2.8 lens. With the 77mm Vari-ND from Singh-Ray (different, I know from the Fader ND), I get no noticeable vignetting in video mode, though there is a little bit in stills mode.

And when the Vari-ND is on, no other filters are attached, UV or otherwise. You probably could stack, but I'd suspect you will get vignetting at that point.

--SM
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thank you stephen! good to hear!
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello,

I use the Fader 86mm on my 82mm Canon 16-35mm 2.8 without any vignetting issues. Very useful. Buy a larger Vari-ND and use a step-down ring. I'm not sure about your UV-filter though. On lenses from 28-35 mm and up even an extra UV-filter shouldn't be a problem. Maybe other can confirm this?

Best wishes,
Terje Rian
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Major Player

I use the fader nd on my 10-20mm, and it is only just about usable from 17-20mm. At 17mm you get a cross of black in the center rather than a consistent full frame cast of black, but that is only at the maximum ND level. From minimum until about 75% it's fine.

Below 17mm that cross of black starts occurring closer and closer to the minimum nd point.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #7
Trustee

That is exactly what I heard from a friend. He said that the Fadar has a cross of black in the center rather than a consistent full frame cast of black at the maximum ND level.

I'm leaned to get the Vari ND.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Brian,
Which Fader filter (size) do you use on your 10-22mm? You lens uses a 77mm filter size, doesn't it? Your description of the black bar suggests that the use of a filter like this isn't very useful on extra wide lenses. You should be using a slim filter. I've been using my Fader filter quite a lot and haven't experienced any of your findings. But as I state in my recent post I tend to use this filter above 28-35 mm.

Sean,
Every Vari-ND out there will have it's pros and cons. A quick search for "Vari-ND review" on Google will confirm this. For the price Fader works great for me.

Best wishes,
Terje Rian
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #9
Major Player

Terje,
I have two 87mm filter sized lenses. One 10-20mm, and one 24-70mm. Both Sigma.
I bought the Fader ND because I knew that I would be able to use it on the 24-70mm lens.

I can still use it on the 10-20mm lens though. Just not the full range of ND, and not at the full (wide) focal length of the lens.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD