advice needed for first 7D job! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Major Player

advice needed for first 7D job!

Hi,

So this friday i have a job to shoot an interview with a japanese artist Akira Shimaya akira shimaya exposeert in Amsterdam
It will be a 2 person interview in Japanese following the usual question/answer format, the opening we're planning to be an outdoor shot on a nice amsterdam bridge with the interviewer saying 'i'm on my way to meet so and so' and introducing a little about him..

I was really happy to have a chance to use my brand new 7D that arrived last week, however theres a couple of issues:

All my lenses are Nikon and I'm still waiting for my Nikkor adapter that will (i hope!) arrive tomorrow, so i will just have a day to get used to the camera..
Then audio - I'm also waiting for a H4N to arrive and pretty sure it wont arrive in the next days..
Also i've never shot a 2 person interview and i guess it wouldn't be so nice with one camera only..

So, what i thought so far was to use my Canon XM2 (GL2), quite close facing the 2 interviewees and recording sound with the onboard stereo mics, with an over the shoulder towards the artist with the 7d. If it's going to be SD anyway i can also crop the 7d footage for another closer shot of him.

I have no idea how the 7d will combine with the XM2 and also i was hoping to use the 7d for the opening outdoor shots but with onboard audio would not be a good idea i guess..

Is this a bad idea, is there a better solution (extra equipment??) any advice i would greatly appreciate!

Thanks
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Major Player

From an audio standpoint I wouldn't rely on the on-camera mics for either of those cameras. Definitely will want them close miked (probably a lavelier...wired or wireless depending on how far and wide the shot), and without the H4N or another recorder will want to run the audio into the XM2.

I would start there, because with an interview the audio is the most important thing. It sounds like you'll need 2 mics (1 on each subject).
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks..

yeah i was thinking about it again and thought about just using the xm2 as a recorder, with the 7d i'll shoot the interviewee over the shoulder, and try to get as much footage after by asking the interviewer to repeat the questions and some reaction shots.. I will rethink the outdoor shot and maybe find another solution..

Now to research the mic options..
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I would plan on shooting the entire thing with the older camera. There is absolutely no way I would shoot an interview such as this with a new, untested camera. You don't even know if the CF card is going to work properly at this point. So either use the old camera and forget the 7D, or use the 7D as a backup, locked off camera and if it works, great, if not, oh well.

That's living on the edge.
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Major Player

The Canon 7D won't combine well with the GL2, simply because the difference in DoF and color signature is jarring.

Your best bet is to use the GL2 as a fixed video point and audio recorder, (the 7D is good but tricky to operate if you're used to traditional video cameras.) if you can't run out and buy a seperate audio recorder at the corner store. I'd also consider picking up a Canon 50mm 1.8 for $99 (or whatever the Japanese version is) at the local camera shop, just in case the Nikon adapter doesn't get there in time.

The 7D is so finicky, that when I can, I try to record the event with a Canon HG20 backup camera as well.
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I agree with Perrone. Having to explain to a client that the day is shot because of faulty equipment is bad enough. I couldn't imagine trying to explain to a client that we had to reshoot something because I didn't fully understand the equipment I was using.

Then again, Manus may have volumes of experience with DSLR's for all I know.
John C. Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Major Player

ehh.. not really.. i've been reading my manual though ;)

i do appreciate the feedback but i'm kind of stubbornly set on going with the 7d, i'll take the risk with the potential benefit of having a product that (hopefully) looks better..

i'm pretty sure i know where and how to get the important stuff like iso/shutter/apeture/framerate/white balance etc where i want them, i'll make sure my card does what its supposed to beforehand, and for the rest fingers crossed, if it all goes wrong i'll kick myself and remember your words.

thanks for the tips!
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #8
Inner Circle

GOOD LUCK! (you may need it... ) :)
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Manus, do you know how long the interview will be, will it fit on the 7D? Do you have spare cards? And what about post, can you handle the 7D and will you have to include some of his artwork?

If you can't understand Japanese watch out for syncing audio, nice minefield there.

Think I agree with Perrone and John.

Cheers.
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manus Sweeney View Post
ehh.. not really.. i've been reading my manual though ;)

i do appreciate the feedback but i'm kind of stubbornly set on going with the 7d, i'll take the risk with the potential benefit of having a product that (hopefully) looks better..

i'm pretty sure i know where and how to get the important stuff like iso/shutter/apeture/framerate/white balance etc where i want them, i'll make sure my card does what its supposed to beforehand, and for the rest fingers crossed, if it all goes wrong i'll kick myself and remember your words.

thanks for the tips!
Well, at least do yourself a favor and do at least two practice interview shoots to validate your gear (and YOU). Make the first one a quick-and-dirty using the tripod and record yourself a few minutes doing a sound test, etc. Now check out the video/audio, discovering the awful audio and maybe discovering gotcha's like turning off Image Stabilization to avoid the high-pitch noise in your audio and why you'd never want to use your on-camera mic. On your second test, do a practice shoot of a friend and shoot for at least 30 minutes. Did you remember to restart recording every 12 minutes? Did your buffer overrun? Did your camera overheat? Did you mess-up a setting? This time import the video into your NLE. Did it go smoothly and everything work the way you expected? Where did you go wrong with video, audio, camera work?

Then again, if you feel luck go right ahead with the "BIG BANG" approach - we will be interested to hear your stories!

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Major Player

Manus, I was in the same boat as you 2 weeks ago. I just got my 7D in to shoot a short salvation video for one of my clients. It was something simple for the website where she talked someone through a salvation prayer. Kinda short. She didn't want any camera movement—which helped since I had my shotgun mic on a boom and fed into my Macbook pro recording into Garageband.

I setup the shot and took a few photos for her to see the lighting, then hit record on the 7D and Garageband. I was only able to monitor the audio after framing so I didn't even watch the LCD. It turned out great, if you discount the speaking. Haha.

http://yourvisualimage.com/test/edit...01-H.264-3.mov

I think you could pull it off with 1 camera. You are right, though. Either camera, you will have to ask the interviewer to repeat questions and expressions. It just comes down to which camera you want to use and how you are recording the audio.

Where is this intended to be displayed? Web only?
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
I would plan on shooting the entire thing with the older camera. There is absolutely no way I would shoot an interview such as this with a new, untested camera. You don't even know if the CF card is going to work properly at this point. So either use the old camera and forget the 7D, or use the 7D as a backup, locked off camera and if it works, great, if not, oh well.

That's living on the edge.
what he said.

Maybe use the 7d for some cutaways.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #13
Major Player

good suggestions re trials, i will do as much as possible tomorrow.. i have one 32gig card, interview will probably last about 15 mins, i'll remember the 12min limit, final output web only, editing on a macpro quad.. i will be shooting plenty of footage of the works as b-roll..

i'll let you know how it goes, now i have to try and find 2 lavs somewhere! (i guess a boom is a bad idea??)
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #14
Contributor

I think using the 7D for cutaway shots is fine, as well as for the reverse angle. You can always soften it in post and tweak the color to make it match the other camera. You can bring a high resolution camera down, but you can't bring the other one up. But as suggested, test it out thoroughly first.

In the past I've had to do two camera shoots with one camera being a high end 2/3" chip camera and the other a low end 1/3" chip camera. I always used the lower resolution camera for closeups and did the wide shots with the better camera. By white balancing both together, I was able to intercut footage with no big problems, as long as the difference in the shots from one camera to the other was great enough. A little gaussian blur and increase in saturation when you edit and you should be able to match things close enough.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #15
Major Player

thanks guys, i'll have the xm2 anyway so i'll use it for the wide shot and decide later whether to use it..

another question, for the shots of the paintings, does anybody have any suggestions on how to make the cutaways a bit more intersting? i'm wondering whether fixed shots, a kind of manual ken burns slow pan, or what kind of dissolves to use between paintings to hopefully make it look a bit more attractive.. i want to avoid cross dissolves for sure but i'm imagining hard cuts might be a bit too sudden?
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD