Follow Focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Follow Focus

In looking at a video clip showing the d-Focus device just now, it looks like the gear ratios are set up so that one turn of the FF device is roughly equivalent to one turn on the lens barrel.

I noticed on Philip Bloom's "Learn2 to shoot" DVD that his Zacuto FF is set up so that the lens barrel moves a fraction of the distance that the FF disc does. This makes more sense to me, the way it "widens" a very precise point on the lens barrel. (I realize that different diameter lenses will behave slightly differently.)

So... has anyone compared the different FF systems with gear ratios in mind? Any other thoughts with regards to precision, backlash, bearing design that I should also keep in mind when shopping around for one of these? (Hard to do without a "hands on" trial).
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Major Player

It depends on the lens more than the FF.
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #3
Trustee

You tend to get what you pay for with follow focus devices.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD