New 1.1.0 firmware may cause problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #1
Major Player

New 1.1.0 firmware may cause problems

Is anyone having problems after updating the 7D to the latest build: 1.1.0? Martin Beek has posted some concern on his blog and is beginning testing after finding pronounced vertical banding.

Canon doesn't provide previous versions to downgrade, but I happened to still have the file for 1.0.9 on my CF card. I have uploaded it to my server if anyone else is experiencing problems and wants to downgrade for the time being.

http://www.yourvisualimage.com/downl...000109.FIR.zip

I'll update here any findings of my tests.
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks. I was looking for a download site for the older version after I had upgraded to 1.1.0. May be subjective, but I think the picture is more noisy in the shadows when filming under artificial light inside.
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Works fine for me.
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #4
Major Player

I have a feeling that in stills it may be a little noisier after the upgrade but I have nothing to compare with.

AF in stills seems fine
Attached Thumbnails
New 1.1.0 firmware may cause problems-4087119897_f6bdd38290_b.jpg  
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chapman View Post
Martin Beek has posted some concern on his blog and is beginning testing after finding pronounced vertical banding.
Pattern (line) noise was (and is) a common problem on the 7D. I would not expect the new firmware to fix it or make it worse. Canon never fixed it for the 5D2, though they did reduce the incidence of mismatched gains between the two green channels (that caused demosaic artifacts).
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #6
Major Player

i've noticed vertical banding in 24P.. I still have 1.0.9 installed.. is this a known issue does anyone know?
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #7
Major Player

I think I read on some other forums that this could also be caused by the auto lighting optimizer function being enabled as well as highlight tone priority. Make sure those 2 things are disabled if you will be doing video. I have been messing with the custom functions on the 5D Mark II with the iso noise reduction settings... I'm not sure if those cause any problems yet or not.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD